2004 - 2008 F-150

colored led cluster test pics

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by fireman137
My gauge face came with a little tool to do it, this isn't my pic but it shows the tool:

Thinking of how deep the connecting piece went and how hard it was to pull with that little tool, I don't think I'd be comfortable using just a pair of pliers or something like that. Maybe someone else can chime in...
A plastic fork with one of the 2 middle prongs removed works great

Old 11-18-2008, 08:29 AM
Originally Posted by fearfactory3791

1999 F150 XLT

This was a pain in the a** removing the green paint on my gauges with acetone but I think it is worth it!
That is enough of the pics. Now I want this done to mine but I am definitely to chicken to even attempt it myself.
Looks fantastic

Old 11-18-2008, 10:20 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Blue LED conversions looks pretty sweet guys. I'd like mine to be red.

Old 11-21-2008, 10:56 PM
alright guys, good news. i finally got my green film gone and the cool white leds came in the mail today. hopeing to get em installed this weekend and i will finally post pix.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:33 PM
JHL
Fireman137:

Did you get these

or these

Check out V-Leds here or SuperBrightLeds here (scroll down to where it says #74). I used 6 of the more expensive SMT led bulbs for the always-on backlighting bulbs (the bulbs had a black base on my cluster), and five of the cheaper regular led bulbs for the five others. V-leds have always had the best price when I've compared, though the are currently out of stock of blue SMT #74 bulbs.

As far as the how, check out res1eott's instructions for removing your cluster: https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=297728. Once you have it in hand, there is a plastic shielding held on the back with torx screws. Don't remove them all at once, they hold the cluster guts together! I removed one or two at a time, replacing bulbs as I went. The bulbs are in twist bases, just be careful, they felt cheap to me. If your led bulb doesn't work right away, pull it out, spin it 180 degrees in the base, and put it back in. Led's have a polarity, where normal bulbs do not.

Old 11-24-2008, 08:36 PM
JHL
Originally Posted by fearfactory3791

1999 F150 XLT

This was a pain in the a** removing the green paint on my gauges with acetone but I think it is worth it!
You took the stock overlay off and used acetone on the back of the stock overlay? Please elaborate on what you did here...

I like it!

Old 11-27-2008, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by JHL
Fireman137:

Did you get these

or these
i got the first ones you showed from v-leds. they look NICE but they dont spread the light as well as the bulbs that came out. wish they did. oh well, they look 100 percent better than the green did so i like them. i'll post pix tonite.:santa:

Old 11-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JHL
Fireman137:

Did you get these

or these
I bought the first ones, the second ones were not an option in blue when I bought mine.

Old 12-01-2008, 12:28 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by JHL
You took the stock overlay off and used acetone on the back of the stock overlay? Please elaborate on what you did here...

I like it!
Thank you! I removed the gauge face from the actual cluster (I removed the needles, don't forget to mark where the needles are before removing them; you can always go into HEC diagnostic mode to figure it out too) flipped it over (the back of the face) where there is green semi-transparent paint and applied acetone with many Q-tip's and scrubbed profusely. I also used a flash light to simulate the light shining through the face to see the areas that I needed to work on. I used the following bulbs available from Superbrightleds, as they provided the brightest and maximum angle coverage. Good luck!!!

Old 12-28-2008, 11:27 AM
I did mine Friday night. Came out great, just not sure if I like the fact that the #74 blue leds don't spread the light around quite as much. I would certainly go with the wide angle ones if I did it again. I used a plastic fork to get the needles off and that worked great.

Also, I got tired of scrubbing with q-tips and acetone and tried something new. I found out that these faces are rather tough. I used my dremel on it's lowest setting with a 1 1/2" BRASS wire brush. It worked great! It takes off the first two layers of paint and when you get that off you can hit it with the acetone and it comes right off! Awesome.
Oh yeah, don't try this with the gear selection display. I ruined mine. Anyone know where I could get another one? I'll post pics later if anyone has any Qs.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by jmvaught1977
I did mine Friday night. Came out great, just not sure if I like the fact that the #74 blue leds don't spread the light around quite as much. I would certainly go with the wide angle ones if I did it again. I used a plastic fork to get the needles off and that worked great.

Also, I got tired of scrubbing with q-tips and acetone and tried something new. I found out that these faces are rather tough. I used my dremel on it's lowest setting with a 1 1/2" BRASS wire brush. It worked great! It takes off the first two layers of paint and when you get that off you can hit it with the acetone and it comes right off! Awesome.
Oh yeah, don't try this with the gear selection display. I ruined mine. Anyone know where I could get another one? I'll post pics later if anyone has any Qs.
I never thought of using my dremel tool to get the paint off. The gear indicator on mine was very simple just a few quick swiped with the acetone and it came right off, unlike the gauges. I would check around the local junk yards or ebay before going to the dealer and paying a premium for a replacement. Sorry to hear about that, that really sucks...

I ended up doing the odometer display and the acetone melted right through that clear part so I had to replace it with Theatre Gels (transparent colored plastic pieces they use on stage lighting for color) and glued it on, well everything is nice and blue now!

Old 12-29-2008, 09:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmvaught1977
Oh yeah, don't try this with the gear selection display. I ruined mine. Anyone know where I could get another one?
For my XLT the part number for the gear selector is 4L3Z7A110AA and costs like $12. E-mail Domenic dstangelo@tasca.com, he's always been super helpful to me.

Old 12-30-2008, 11:41 AM
Just curious, how do you guys recalibrate your gauges after you put the needles back on?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:05 AM
For my XLT the part number for the gear selector is 4L3Z7A110AA and costs like $12. E-mail Domenic dstangelo@tasca.com, he's always been super helpful to me.

Was that for the original black?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by Blue150
Just curious, how do you guys recalibrate your gauges after you put the needles back on?
The correct way is to take it to someone and have them do it for you. I, on the other hand, zeroed out my gauges with the needle on just a little (enough for it to spin when it got to the stop) and then referenced the HQ pics I took before I started to get the pretty close.

J

Quick Reply: colored led cluster test pics