2004 - 2008 F-150

Tranny went out...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Tranny went out...

I was turning a corner and the truck bucked, the transmission slipped, truck redlined and the worst grinding noise came from the transmission. I had it towed to Ford. I have 75,000 miles on the truck and I did have the service done at 35,000.

I'm out of warranty, how much will this cost?

Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 AM
I'm not a tech guy, but if it's out of warranty, I'd take it out of the Ford shop QUICK and find a good transmission place to rebuild it. IF that's really what the problem is, I would think it would run between $1500 and $2500. But the key is finding a GOOD transmission shop.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:19 AM
Sorry to hear about that. I’m not a parts guy, so this is merely a guess, but I think around $2500 with tax would be the cost for a whole new tranny. Again, I could be wrong since it’s merely a guess on my part. First, I would find out what kind of damage your tranny sustained if I were you. Depending on the damage done to the tranny, it might be cheaper to rebuild it. My tranny eventually will fail (hopefully later than sooner) due to the amount of power that I’m pushing, so I’m currently researching various vendors to built me a beefy trans that can handle 500+ RWHP without any problem.

B-C Automotive, which was featured in Ford Performance Trucks magazine last fall (I also scanned the article for this forum a couple of months ago), built a beefy 4R75W tranny for a member on this forum because he was pushing 550+rwhp. Last I heard, that member was having problems with his beefy tranny. But since he hasn’t posted in this forum in a long time due to a scandal he was involved in concerning a sponsor on this forum, there’s no way to know if he got the tranny problems fixed. For now, B-C automotive and Dirty Dog Performance (for a new beefier, triple-plate configuration 11.25 performance converter) are on the top of my list for vendors to rebuild my tranny and for a new performance converter.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:21 AM
i had the SAME EXACT thing happen to me at about 65,000 miles i think it was. i had it towed to the stealership... they had it for like 2 weeks. it was under warranty. i cant remember exactly what they said caused it but i know they had to fly in a ford tech to look at it to get it covered under warranty. i do remember that it was a major pain in the a$$.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:28 AM
So if $2500 buys a new one, how much is a rebuilt one? They won't look at the truck until Monday so I am trying to warm up to the thought of parting with this money...

Old 05-17-2008, 12:49 AM
Originally Posted by ryanbeal
how much is a rebuilt one?
It all depends on what kind of damage the tranny sustained. Rebuilding a tranny isn’t cheap either, but you might be able to save some money depending on what is needed to get your tranny back in working condition.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:01 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Happened to me on a trip to the ranch on the highway. 72k miles on the odo. Towed it to Ford, they shipped in a new tranny and had it on the truck in 3 days. 2300 bux.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 AM
would a extened warranty cover this type of work?

Old 05-17-2008, 06:44 AM
Originally Posted by weazel
would a extened warranty cover this type of work?
Absolutely. Even the most basic ESP (powertrain warranty) would cover that.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 AM
So.., is kind of common to have transmissions problems on this trucks?
Is it just bad luck?
What usually helps to damage the tranny?
what could I do to keep my transmission in optimal shape?

Giorgio

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by giorgioF150
So.., is kind of common to have transmissions problems on this trucks?
Is it just bad luck?
What usually helps to damage the tranny?
what could I do to keep my transmission in optimal shape?

Giorgio
Most common reason for trannys to drop are lack of maintenance, heat build up from extended or towing way too much, or from not waiting for the vehicle to come to a complete stop, before shifting from reverse to drive & vise versa! Women are notorious for this one! I notice on my F-150 when shifting into reverse it is rather a slow shift before I feel the shift to reverse, I can just imagine how many people hit the gas before it actually the tranny is in reverse!...................

Old 05-17-2008, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
Most common reason for trannys to drop are lack of maintenance, heat build up from extended or towing way too much, or from not waiting for the vehicle to come to a complete stop, before shifting from reverse to drive & vise versa! Women are notorious for this one! I notice on my F-150 when shifting into reverse it is rather a slow shift before I feel the shift to reverse, I can just imagine how many people hit the gas before it actually the tranny is in reverse!...................
Throwing it into 'park' to stop the truck usually doesn't help either.

Yeah, I read that Matineer thread.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Darrin at BC Automotive I thinkis around 3000.00 for a trans and torque converter built to your specifications. At least that is what i was quoted around 8 months ago.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
That's why I wish they offered a nice heavy duty 6 speed manual.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by risupercrewman
I towed with it ONE time, never abused it, and had the service done on time. With all of the lights that came on and messages that were flashing it's like Ford anticipated this one...

Quick Reply: Tranny went out...