2004 - 2008 F-150

what shocks do you prefer?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You need a floor jack and two jack stands. Their can't be any weight on the suspension while you are doing shocks. The whole truck doesn't need to be up in the air, but each end (front/rear) needs to be up in the air when you do shocks on it. Put one end on jack stands, remove the old shock (do them one at a time), then you use the jack to lift the control arm or rear axle into place with the new shocks.

Old 04-29-2010, 12:12 AM
Great thanks, I can't wait to get these things on. The suspension in 250's and 350's is pretty stiff, did the Bilsteins improve the handling around turns with your truck? How are they with going over small and big bumps?

Old 04-29-2010, 02:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Zaairman
Unless you're some type of girlie man, you will be able to compress the shocks no problem.
I was strong enough to compress the driver side with my right arm and put the pin in, but could not compress it with my left arm and get the pin into place, so I would agree with Aaairman on this one. My right arm pushes a mouse around all day, so it is stronger than my left arm. I had my girlie wife crawl under and put the pin in place while I compressed the shock with both hands.

I did not lift the truck up in the air, but I can see how that would have helped.

Old 04-29-2010, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by chiaronate
Great thanks, I can't wait to get these things on. The suspension in 250's and 350's is pretty stiff, did the Bilsteins improve the handling around turns with your truck? How are they with going over small and big bumps?
Handling and turns aren't in a F-250s vocabulary... It rides much smoother over bumps.

Originally Posted by greencrew
I was strong enough to compress the driver side with my right arm and put the pin in, but could not compress it with my left arm and get the pin into place, so I would agree with Aaairman on this one. My right arm pushes a mouse around all day, so it is stronger than my left arm. I had my girlie wife crawl under and put the pin in place while I compressed the shock with both hands.

I did not lift the truck up in the air, but I can see how that would have helped.
Yeah... that's why you're supposed to have it in the air.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:16 PM
Anyone know who makes the OEM shocks for Ford?

Quick Reply: what shocks do you prefer?