2004 - 2008 F-150

Power Window - Details - Why it breaks

Old 01-14-2008, 08:23 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Window - Details - Why it breaks - Photos

Here's what I found upon taking the little pulley off the motor assembly.

Goes along with this thread:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=316384

Either Ford designed this to be weak for a reason, like the motor going crazy and they think it's better for the tabs to break on the pulley instead of something else, or it's just a bad design.

This is from a 2004 F150 Lariat (new body style):

This is the overall view. Details in the photo below this one.

This pulley to the right is meant to fit into the motor assembly with the tabs inserted into the little slots you see in the motor assembly on the left. That black piece with the slots you see in the motor assembly seems to be a semi-hard foam rubber piece, I assume to provide a little give so the plastic tabs on the pulley don't break on day one and I assume so it's just a smooth stop once the window hits the stopping point. I placed one of the broken off tabs back on the pulley so you can see what it looks like when it's in it's not broke off. This little pulley is the main pulley that the cables wrap around and the motor drives this pulley to raise and lower the window (driver's side, front door in my case). Note that the plastic tabs aren't even solid, they're hollow . So you can see why some people have had the window regulator assembly go bad more than once in a few years.

Otherwise the rest of the entire unit looks to be very solid and a good design. It's just a shame the plastic tabs on the main pulley are so darn weak!

Last edited by lariatf150; 06-03-2008 at 08:32 PM.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice post!

Old 01-15-2008, 01:46 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Agreed, great post.

Old 01-15-2008, 06:35 AM
maybe fill in the slots (holes) in the tabs when getting a new one to make it stronger? That is assuming the new parts do come apart to get to the hollow tabs. nice pic and post.

jim

Old 01-15-2008, 06:59 AM
Overall the product looks great/solid (the whole window regulator assembly). I just think the plastic they used was way too brittle and rigid. Maybe a different type of plastic that is tougher and slightly flexible would have done a better job. I've seen plastics that are nearly indestructable. I wish they had used something like that for this pulley.

Hopefully the new unit I bought has better plastic in the pulley.

Old 01-15-2008, 11:42 AM
mine being replaced now

my passenger window on my 2004 fi50 gave way last week,, in by dealer being repaired as we speak. Mechanic just looked at it (window was sticking)and ordered new regulator. Was odd as i hardly ever use the passenger window and it was one that broke. Drivers side so far good and i use it every day,, go figure,, i had extended warranty so only had to pay the $50 deductible,, hopefully driver's side will be covered under that when it goes,, john

Old 01-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got mine back from the dealer last night. That would explain why I thought I heard plastic "pop" right before the drivers door glass slid down into the door of its own choosing.

I don't know if that is stupid design or safety / overload design. I am more prone to think it might be about half of each...

Old 01-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Interesting post, thanks.
Anyone know if they changed anything for '06+? I have only seen this problem on 04-05.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:28 AM
Originally Posted by jpmpd
my passenger window on my 2004 fi50 gave way last week,, in by dealer being repaired as we speak. Mechanic just looked at it (window was sticking)and ordered new regulator. Was odd as i hardly ever use the passenger window and it was one that broke. Drivers side so far good and i use it every day,, go figure,, i had extended warranty so only had to pay the $50 deductible,, hopefully driver's side will be covered under that when it goes,, john
X2. Passanger not broken, but rolls up really slowly. In the winter forget about it rolling up. Drivers side, no problem...

Old 06-03-2008, 08:11 PM
Hey, just came across your post. I have this issue right now on a 2004 FX4 driver side door. Where did you buy the window regulator? I have been searching online but can not find one for power windows. All websites say "Power Window" but pictures look like the manual one.

Thanks

Rich

richryan3@verizon.net

Old 06-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by xlint1
X2. Passanger not broken, but rolls up really slowly. In the winter forget about it rolling up. Drivers side, no problem...
thats a whole other can of worms

Old 06-03-2008, 09:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
Good thing I got manual windows. The window regulator setup is totally different.

I've cranked my windows fast, slow, hard, soft... never had a problem. I forced the handle one time with about 50 to about 60 ft/lbs... solid as a rock.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:20 PM
I have had 2 window regulators replaced...

Old 06-03-2008, 09:26 PM
Naw...didn't change anything....My 08 Lariat decided to roll her passenger side window down by herself a month or so ago and refused to roll back up...Of course, it was raining, so I'd rolled her up beforehand. It seemed like it was going up too far, kinda' like the creaking noise after shutting the power rear window sometimes...Like the switch sticks. Wish they had a limiter switch in them, but apparently they go as far as they are supposed to travel and stop. If it's out of adjustment, then stuff cracks, or flexes, and/or breaks.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:14 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Hey Lariatf150,

My drivers side also went bad....window sliding down on its own. I plan to buy the window motor/regulator assembly from a local dealer ($130).

Was it easy to maneuver the track assembly after propping up the window and unfastening the glass from the tracks?

I saw the two vertical slots in the interior metal door panel to get to the bolts to unfasten, but wasn't sure how difficult it was to get the assembly out while keeping the glass intact.

thanks in advance.

chris

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Power Window - Details - Why it breaks