F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   What's it Worth? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/315508-whats-worth.html)

TruBluScru 01-07-2008 05:38 PM

What's it Worth?

Haven't been on this board in years, but I know all the experts are here including some FoMoCo employees. Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death elsewhere..

What's a decent trade-in on an 04 FX4 loaded in excellent condition and 23K miles? Dealers are rejecting kbb price outright citing the gas crunch. I'm getting offers of 16.5K left and right which seems low considering trucks equivalent to mine are advertised for 26K. I'm fine with these guys making money, but I'm not going to give them ~5 thousand dollars on a truck that needs to be detailed. I was thinking more like 19K. Am I delusional?

Any advice is welcome

Shinesintx 01-07-2008 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by TruBluScru
Haven't been on this board in years, but I know all the experts are here including some FoMoCo employees. Hopefully this hasn't been beaten to death elsewhere..

What's a decent trade-in on an 04 FX4 loaded in excellent condition and 23K miles? Dealers are rejecting kbb price outright citing the gas crunch. I'm getting offers of 16.5K left and right which seems low considering trucks equivalent to mine are advertised for 26K. I'm fine with these guys making money, but I'm not going to give them ~5 thousand dollars on a truck that needs to be detailed. I was thinking more like 19K. Am I delusional?

Any advice is welcome

When I traded my truck in a few months ago, the dealer made a great deal on the new truck, and tried to hose me on my trade in. I told them that only half the deal was acceptable and that I would come back after mine had sold on Craigslist.com. They asked what I thought it was worth, and then matched it. I guess I was just lucky, instead of 4k they offered 7.5k. Online, my truck was selling for 8k and on the lots, it was going for around 9k.

MN-F150 01-07-2008 05:59 PM

Seems low. The local dealer here has several 02 F-150s in the 60 to 80 thousand mile range. Not one of them is below $16K. A couple are $18.

FWIW,
Brian

TruBluScru 01-07-2008 06:01 PM

Yeah I said I wanted 19K and the guy made the *pffffbbbt noise like air coming out of a balloon. I walked out thinking that they might call me after a few days but no joy....

Shinesintx 01-07-2008 06:02 PM

Yeah I said I wanted 19K and the guy made the *pffffbbbt noise like air coming out of a balloon. I walked out thinking that they might call me after a few days but no joy....

Sell it on Craigslist.

TruBluScru 01-07-2008 06:24 PM

Just listed it there thanks for the tip.

Shinesintx 01-07-2008 06:28 PM

Just listed it there thanks for the tip.

Another tip. Prospective Craigslist buyers, can be cheap. Let them know when call that your truck is below blue book, and you are not willing to haggle.

2005lariatky 01-07-2008 09:52 PM

I looked at trading my 05 Lariat in on a new Stang. Its loaded and in November it had 12,500 miles and I was consistantly offered $20,000. One dealer said $22,000. My dad just bought a 05 Lariat Scab 4x4 with 42,000 miles for $18,000 out the door.

Rockpick 01-07-2008 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by 2005lariatky
I looked at trading my 05 Lariat in on a new Stang. Its loaded and in November it had 12,500 miles and I was consistantly offered $20,000. One dealer said $22,000. My dad just bought a 05 Lariat Scab 4x4 with 42,000 miles for $18,000 out the door.

You're in Lou, right? Which stealerships?

The sales guy that I was, generally, loyal to has left car sales (after several years doing very well with it) and I'm fishing for a new dealer.

2005lariatky 01-07-2008 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by RockPick
You're in Lou, right? Which stealerships?

The sales guy that I was, generally, loyal to has left car sales (after several years doing very well with it) and I'm fishing for a new dealer.

Carrollton actually, but the $22,000 was at Oxmoor Ford, and that is where my dad bought his truck. If they could have made a deal on the stang that would have been my third purchase from there. If you go in looking for something ask for Joy Brumback the Customer Service Manager, or Pat Conway, the used car sales Manager. I can pm you my name for a refferal and hopefully they will treat you right.

Rockpick 01-07-2008 10:35 PM

Ahh yeah.. I knew you were in Carrollton... sorry. I've shopped Earl Floyd Ford a time or two without much luck. Since you're so close, let me know if you ever know of anyone needing a decent detailer. :) I know of one very near by...

As for the other, I'm not in the market right now but, it's always good to have a name or three... I did, however, have an awful experience at Oxmoor on a 2002 XLT that I *almost* bought several years ago. I'm certain that this particular sales guy is no longer there though....

Anyway... I think we're derailing the thread. LOL! Back to your regularly scheduled "What's it Worth?" thread! :)

Patman 01-07-2008 11:46 PM

18 if you want it gone, 19 if you want a good deal

I12AV82 01-07-2008 11:54 PM

I considered trading my '05 King Ranch in early December for a newer 150 and was offered between $17,000 and $20,100. I have ~55,500 miles, 9/10 interior and exterior (consistent between 4 dealers), no dents, 3/4 of my tire tread left, and all '05 options (even added the OEM 20's - not sure of those were available in '05). Sounds like they're being a little thrifty..

Needless to say I'm going to hang on to this puppy until the '09s are released and see what they look like and which motors are available - then it will either be a new (but "old" body style) F150 (for a deal hopefully!) or one of the newer models in late '09/early '10.

svt2205 01-08-2008 06:15 AM

Any advice is welcome

Your best deals can often be made if your willing to time it right. End of the month or quarter are always better times. Or if you live in an area where it snows, try toward the end of the day during a snow storm. They generally don't have much traffic on those days and are more likely to make a deal, just to have a sale.

Play the gas price card. If they are telling you, their trade value is say 20% less then what KBB is listing and you're buying another full sized truck. Demand a price reduction of the same percentage.

One more thing, try dealing directly with the sales manager or who ever has deal approval authority.

FWIW, I've yet to see a dealer actually offer KBB trade for anything.

2005lariatky 01-08-2008 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by RockPick
Ahh yeah.. I knew you were in Carrollton... sorry. I've shopped Earl Floyd Ford a time or two without much luck. Since you're so close, let me know if you ever know of anyone needing a decent detailer. :) I know of one very near by...

As for the other, I'm not in the market right now but, it's always good to have a name or three... I did, however, have an awful experience at Oxmoor on a 2002 XLT that I *almost* bought several years ago. I'm certain that this particular sales guy is no longer there though....

Anyway... I think we're derailing the thread. LOL! Back to your regularly scheduled "What's it Worth?" thread! :)

Yeah Earl Floyd Ford is a rip off. They have a good ol'boy atmosphere. If you know someone there then you get a pretty good deal. I have always tried to buy there before I go to L'ville but in the end I get at least 2000 more on my trades. Yes a good detailer would be nice. The truck needs a waxing. As for Oxmoor they turn salesmen faster than I can blink. Now they have all new management again. Seems like once a year they change management, and some salesmen only last a week.