2004 - 2008 F-150

Startup Rattle (a thought)

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Startup Rattle (a thought)

DISCLAIMER: ASSUMING THE START UP RATTLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CAM PHASER, INCORRECT OIL, OR OIL FILTER

have ran motorcraft 5W20 and motorcraft filter since mile 1. Anyway:

has anyone thought about or have used products such as Zmax, lucas oil stabalizer, engine honey, etc... to keep more oil attached to parts while it sits? I know Zmax is supposed to soak into the metal to prevent dry starts. But might also be snake oil since I've never used it.

Was just thinking bout and wanted some oppinions.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by Jolly_Green_Giant
DISCLAIMER: ASSUMING THE START UP RATTLE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH CAM PHASER, INCORRECT OIL, OR OIL FILTER

has anyone thought about or have used products such as Zmax, lucas oil stabalizer, engine honey, etc... to keep more oil attached to parts while it sits? I know Zmax is supposed to soak into the metal to prevent dry starts. But might also be snake oil since I've never used it.

IMHO ,no gimmicks. The tolerances on the modular motors are too close for that stuff. The only noise I hear is the injectors. I also have run motorcraft since mile 1.

Old 11-01-2007, 04:31 PM

Jolly,
I started a thread a while back and if i recall we have the same problem. After the truck sets over night there is a startup rattle the next morning. The longer it sits the longer the rattle is. I've yet to take mine to the dealer but do plan on inquiring about it. My last post nobody ever really came out and said what was the clear cut problem, and i think you said you took it and it was "normal" by the dealership.

Anyhoo if you try something like that let me know if it works

Old 11-01-2007, 07:11 PM
Valve Lashers, Rocker Arms, and Adjusters?

Old 11-01-2007, 07:30 PM
Originally Posted by BtownFord
Jolly,
I started a thread a while back and if i recall we have the same problem. After the truck sets over night there is a startup rattle the next morning. The longer it sits the longer the rattle is. I've yet to take mine to the dealer but do plan on inquiring about it. My last post nobody ever really came out and said what was the clear cut problem, and i think you said you took it and it was "normal" by the dealership.

Anyhoo if you try something like that let me know if it works

Yeah, I took mine in twice while it was under waranty and was told both times that it was normal. But sure sounds like a dry start and can't be good.

been watching threads like this for a while and was just thinking I hadn't seen anything about products like zmax that are supposed to prevent or at least help dry startup. Thought someone might have tried it.

Last edited by Jolly_Green_Giant; 11-01-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:55 PM
Is the rattle you guys are talking about last for a few seconds then goes away? I have that type sound rattle/tick sound on cold start ups. I have a 5.4L

Old 11-01-2007, 09:19 PM
Originally Posted by Tuff4rd
Is the rattle you guys are talking about last for a few seconds then goes away? I have that type sound rattle/tick sound on cold start ups. I have a 5.4L
yep, mine does it when it sits for more than 12 hours. i have a hard time locating it but it seems to come from the middle bottom?

Old 11-01-2007, 10:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've done the Lucas Oil Stabilizer and it definitely helped it out, the startup was a lot smoother, very sexy. I don't know why I didn't put it in the last oil change, it is annoying!

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 PM
Yeah, I took mine in twice while it was under waranty and was told both times that it was normal. But sure sounds like a dry start and can't be good.

been watching threads like this for a while and was just thinking I hadn't seen anything about products like zmax that are supposed to prevent or at least help dry startup. Thought someone might have tried it.

If a lifter bleeds down it will rattle. that doesn't mean a problem or dry start up. it is just the lifter pumping back up. no harm no foul.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Yeah I was wondering what that was! I never thought much of it cause it only lasts a couple seconds and doesnt effect the truck that I can see or feel. Guess I wont worry till someone finds something that works to silence it

Old 11-01-2007, 11:46 PM

if the lifter bleeds down you temporarily lose compression. Aren't they operated on springs and the cam is what compresses the spring, or am I confused. If it was the way I'm thinking it is, the spring should not allow it to "bleed" down.

I would never put money on this knowledge so enlighten me if I'm off a little.

Last edited by Josiah; 11-01-2007 at 11:51 PM.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same start-up rattle, and I've heard/read MANY times that it's the chain tensioner. The chain tensioner maintains tension by oil pressure. Once the vehicle has sat for several hours, the pressure decreases. It takes a second or so for it to rebuild pressure and tighten the chain.

Old 11-03-2007, 07:23 AM
Talking Same annoying rattle here!!!!!!

My 04 F150 4.6 had a rattle at start up with 30,000. Ford replaced the heads and it went away...............for 10,000 miles or so. Now at 44,000+ its back and its worse. It even rattles a bit right after I start it and take off down the road, as I lift off of the gas approaching a stop sign or red light it rattles some. Usually a mile or so down the road it quits. Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks

Old 04-07-2008, 11:45 AM
Update

Changed to Mobil 1 Syn oil and upted to 5w30 and the tick went away. Ive put 3000 miles in 3-4 months and it stills sounds good!
Thanks For all the info

Old 04-07-2008, 01:07 PM
glc
Received 759 Likes on 703 Posts
My take - if you are using an oil filter with a known good anti-drainback valve and are still getting rattles, try a 100% synthetic oil no heavier than 5W30, 5W20 preferred. It has a higher film strength and sticks around on parts longer.

Quick Reply: Startup Rattle (a thought)