2004 - 2008 F-150

bearing rattle when oil change

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 04:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation bearing rattle when oil change

my bearings rattle when i change my oil and i fill the new filter with oil and i only use moble 1 synthetic, i read this is norm, am i the only 1 with this prob

Old 10-28-2007, 05:10 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
do you mean they rattle on start up right after you change your oil?

Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM
What type of oil filter are you using? Make sure to choose one that has a proper antidrain back valve.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:05 PM
i use motorcraft filter it is the wright filter. and yes it only rattles at start up like 2 or 3 seconds

Old 10-28-2007, 09:00 PM
Do a search and you should find the answer I found here 3 years ago with a better description than I can offer here. Since the oil filter mounts at an angle tou can't prefill it any more than about half full. So fill it as full as you can without spilling when you tip it to screw it on. Then push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and keep it fully depressed while you turn the key and let it crank for 10 full seconds. This pumps the oil filter full without starting the engine so you are not running the engine at high RPM with less than full oil pressure. Turn key off, release gas pedal and turn key to start as you normally do. No more awful sounding clatter. Why this works was explained in that thread three years ago and maybe somebody else can explain it. Anyway why can't all oil filters be mounted vertically so they can be fully prefilled?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:34 AM
thanks for the info,i will try that and let u know the outcome.

Old 11-02-2007, 02:45 PM
Basically your sending a 5volt signal from the tps which is putting the car in clear flood mode which cuts off injector pulse, which is why the truck wornt start. Good idea to circulate oil.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bogman
Do a search and you should find the answer I found here 3 years ago with a better description than I can offer here. Since the oil filter mounts at an angle tou can't prefill it any more than about half full. So fill it as full as you can without spilling when you tip it to screw it on. Then push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and keep it fully depressed while you turn the key and let it crank for 10 full seconds. This pumps the oil filter full without starting the engine so you are not running the engine at high RPM with less than full oil pressure. Turn key off, release gas pedal and turn key to start as you normally do. No more awful sounding clatter. Why this works was explained in that thread three years ago and maybe somebody else can explain it. Anyway why can't all oil filters be mounted vertically so they can be fully prefilled?
It works. I was really nervous the first time. It must work on all recent Fords. It works on my 3.0 Escape, my 4.6 Lincoln and my 5.4 F-150.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:36 PM
Should work like that on all fuel injection. Car companies introduced clear flood mode into the pcm's when they were switching from Carburated cars. They did this so if people still stepped on the gas the car wouldnt rev when being started.

Old 11-03-2007, 12:42 PM
A numnobb like me has actually learned a lot from others on this site in the past 3+ years. Thanks for explaining why it works.

Old 11-03-2007, 03:02 PM
Originally Posted by niceasssupercrw
Should work like that on all fuel injection. Car companies introduced clear flood mode into the pcm's when they were switching from Carburated cars. They did this so if people still stepped on the gas the car wouldnt rev when being started.
The true reason the manufacturers did this is because when carburetors were the norm, the fastest way to start a flooded engine was to push the pedal to the floor. When fuel injection took over, they built that into the system to make it an easier transition for the public. Pushing the pedal to the floor on a fuel injected engine shuts down the fuel pump to allow the engine to crank and clear out the excess fuel from the cylinders.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:11 PM
This site is just too great in that a few other dudes who really know what they are talking about will chip in with real detailed answers fo somebody looking for them. Again thanks to youz guys! I have to confess that I just spent the past 5 hours detailing the F150 for da winter as we say here in Wisconsin and dat der job requires many brewskies to complete and I am guilty. I am toasted so Good nite.

Old 11-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Tbird69
Pushing the pedal to the floor on a fuel injected engine shuts down the fuel pump to allow the engine to crank and clear out the excess fuel from the cylinders.
Who/what is your source or did you just take a guess at the expense of everyone else thinking you are right?

The fuel pump doesn't shut down. Instead spark advance is increased based on pedal position over temp.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by i.ride.suzuki
Who/what is your source or did you just take a guess at the expense of everyone else thinking you are right?

The fuel pump doesn't shut down. Instead spark advance is increased based on pedal position over temp.
Do you even understand what I was saying, or did you decide to criticize my post without fully reading and comprehending it?

BTW what are you trying to say?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Tbird69
The true reason the manufacturers did this is because when carburetors were the norm, the fastest way to start a flooded engine was to push the pedal to the floor. When fuel injection took over, they built that into the system to make it an easier transition for the public. Pushing the pedal to the floor on a fuel injected engine shuts down the fuel pump to allow the engine to crank and clear out the excess fuel from the cylinders.

Sorry Tbird, but "the true reason" was already explained by :

Originally Posted by niceasssupercrw
Basically your sending a 5volt signal from the tps which is putting the car in clear flood mode which cuts off injector pulse, which is why the truck wornt start. Good idea to circulate oil.
The injectors are affected, NOT the fuel pump. This is just basic EFI standards, not brand specific.

Quick Reply: bearing rattle when oil change