2004 - 2008 F-150

Banks or Magnaflow??

Old 03-10-2005, 10:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Banks or Magnaflow??

I've narrowed my choices for a new exhaust to a Banks or Magnaflow system. I'll probably be going with the SI/SO style exhaust as thats all Banks has and I read the Magnaflow dual setup has fit problems. Not overly concerned about performance although I don't want it to lose a lot of power.

I want something with a good sound and rumble. I don't need it sound like my race cars but I don't want it real quiet. I've heard the Magnaflow is on the quiet side. How about the Banks?? Has anyone heard both the Magnaflow and Banks??

Also how about fit and install? I thought some of the posts made it sound like the Magnaflow wasn't a 100% fit. My truck does have a trailer hitch and would consider the SI/DO if it fit ok.

Let's hear some opinions and thoughts and experiences.

Last edited by nosfrog; 03-10-2005 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:03 AM
Suspended
While I don't have either. I've been considering exhaust and I've researched it pretty well. I would say go for the Magnaflow as I haven't heard anything but GREAT things.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:14 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the MagnaFlow and it sounds great going down the highway, not overly loud. But when you punch it, you get a mean roar. I read on this forum where KC-10 FE bought the Banks exhaust and took it off because it made a terrible droning (resonance) in the cab. It was even worse when he towed a trailer. On the flip side he said the Banks made a good power gain.

Last edited by kd4crs; 03-10-2005 at 12:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 PM
I've never heard the Banks...but I have the Magnaflow and it sounds great. It's not quiet...but definately not loud....it just sounds real good. I don't think you'd be disappointed. Good luck!

Old 03-10-2005, 01:38 PM
Save your self $400 and just have a magnaflow muffler welded to your stock system since all you want it SI/SO, then a tip and then your set. In my case i am just going to get a e-cutout so i can adjust loudness while still maintaining stock quietness whenever i perfer.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:42 PM
i have the banks exhasut and i love it. it definently looks much better than the magna flows and sounds better too. check out my gallery to see some pics. install was easy and took mabey 30 minutes. I highly recomend it. i mainly got it because its something not very many people have. almost everyone has magnaflows. the banks is awsome.

Old 03-10-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by asinatra
Save your self $400 and just have a magnaflow muffler welded to your stock system since all you want it SI/SO, then a tip and then your set. In my case i am just going to get a e-cutout so i can adjust loudness while still maintaining stock quietness whenever i perfer.
What is the e-cutout?
I have never heard of it. Curious to hear.

Also, will a muffler shop do the weld or is this something that you do?

Old 03-10-2005, 10:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you want the rumble, and I mean a lot of rumble, go with Flowmaster. Be careful though. You will feel the vibration through the entire vehicle if you do not have it mounted correctly. You will also have drone at highway speeds. (it didn't really bother me as it was installed when I picked it up from the dealership, so I didn't know the difference) I do know the difference now and prefer the Magnaflow.

I just had my Flowmaster removed because of the vibration and cut and dried the fact that the Magnaflow has the best performance. I cannot say enough about Magnaflow and while it is not the loudest it is an amazing exhaust system. I swear that I get better mileage with it as I have no torque loss. (actually torque gain) I can literally feel the difference at very low RPM's. I do highway and a lot of stop and go city traffic. I have been watching mileage closely.

I have only had it for 2 days but I am extremely pleased!!!

Old 03-10-2005, 10:36 PM
i have the banks kit and absolutely love it!!! i have about 12k on the truck and about 10k with this exhaust and the sound now is even better than when i first got it! i wouldn't put any other system on my truck personally. good luck

Old 03-10-2005, 10:48 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by Crash_edwards
I cannot say enough about Magnaflow and while it is not the loudest it is an amazing exhaust system. I swear that I get better mileage with it as I have no torque loss. (actually torque gain) I can literally feel the difference at very low RPM's. I do highway and a lot of stop and go city traffic. I have been watching mileage closely.

I've noted the exact same things...

I feel like the pedal is a bit more peppy and also, I've noted a very slight change in MPG. My traffic situation is identical to yours and I think the correlations between our observations are, indeed, legitimate.

Don't get me wrong though, they're not HUGE differences but, certainly enough that I've noticed.

Magnaflow all the way.

-RP-

Old 03-10-2005, 10:50 PM
banks all the way its the best side exit you can get and it sounds bad a$$. you wont be dissapointed

Old 10-22-2007, 12:33 AM
Is there any mpg differences with the banks versus stock? How about performance??

Old 10-22-2007, 01:00 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Magnaflow...I like it so much I bought the Magnaflow Magnapack exhaust for my Mustang GT. they make excellent products and they sound wicked. nice growl around town, it roars when you punch it, and no droning noise at highway speeds.

btw, if you decide to go with only a muffler, get the magnapack muffler. it's louder than heck, and makes a v-8 sound like the equivalent of a pissed off Rottweiler.

Old 10-22-2007, 09:28 AM
Have you considered an MBRP kit? They make the finest quality exhaust on the planet. www.mbrp.com

Last edited by JesseRohr; 10-22-2007 at 10:11 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 12:42 PM
Love my Magnaflow... Not that loud going down the highway and when you get on it you get a nice deep rumble... I have SI/DO out the rear.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Banks or Magnaflow??