2004 - 2008 F-150

Why did you buy Ford vs. the others?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Why did you buy Ford vs. the others?

I'd like to hear from other owners of late model F150s as to why they chose Ford versus the competition. Also, what are the advantages of the Ford product versus the competition and vice versa?

Frankly, I did it on price, looks, and wanting to buy American again after a long time away. Price = iI wanted to take advantage of the factory rebates and I wanted a truck for the first time. Looks = I really like the sharp square lines vs. previous rounded Ford editions and didn't care as much about the competitors exterior designs. American = I've been pissed off since the 80s quality debacles of the domestics and finally decided to give it a shot now (perhaps I've been unfair for too long).

I didn't research the competition comparing features like I probably should have. Certainly, the show room had a display demonstrating what Ford believes are key distinctions of their product over the competition which was persuasive. I just know that the F150 has a great reputation and, while Toyota has built a reputation on quality, I wasn't sure that it was true for trucks and they are more expensive, I think.

What say you?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:22 PM
The Toyota Tacoma was the only late model Toyota I could afford but it seemed too small.

My brother has a Dodge and told me they have a reputation for the most terrible gas mileage around.

My friend had a brand new GM that he never towed with or took off road and a five year old truck literally fell apart one expensive piece at a time.

So after eliminating those I started looking at Ford trucks and never looked at anything else.
Not to mention the SCAB has plenty of room, I love the looks and the price was right.

Old 09-01-2007, 11:43 PM
My G-pa never owned anything but Ford i bought my 1st ford from him 1991 Ranger 4.0 5 Speed i loved that truck it went thro he!! and back almost 300,000 miles. I am now and will allways be a ford Guy

Old 09-01-2007, 11:59 PM
Thought it was the best looking, best riding truck I test drove. Plus being the best selling pickup told me something. Only thing I'd trade it for is a '08 f250 diesel 4x4...

Old 09-02-2007, 12:05 AM
I wanted to buy American. My options were GM, Dodge, and Ford. I decided to get a Ford. I am glad I did.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:13 AM
Technical Article Contributor

1) rear suspension//payload capabilities
2) frame design and safety ratings
3) reliability, 30 years top selling
4) best interior in its class BY FAR
5) its Built Ford Tough

Old 09-02-2007, 12:21 AM
I bought mine because i wanted a domestic truck, there is something unamerican about buying some japanese made pos truck. I had an s10 that was junk. the truck went through 3 motors before my dad and i junked it. I really hate the look of dodge trucks and in my town everyone who drives a dodge tends to be super redneck.

I really like the look of this current body style of f150. The interior is much nicer than the 06 chevy i also looked at. the truck rides better and feels more solid than the chevy. I am also a huge fan of the larger regular cab. I am 6'3 and regular cabs tend to be cramped for me but the f150 fits me perfect. I love my truck and wouldnt trade it for any other truck on the market except for a ford super duty. Not to mention that im pretty ford bias anyway.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:32 AM
Suspended
I allway's owned Fords, Than in 2002 The loyality was tested, in 04 I gave Ford a 2nd chance. Ford has a great truck if you get one from the get go that has been put togethier right.

Every brand has it's pro's and cons, Dodge has the alousy reputation and so Far it has been the best Truck I have ever owned. I really miss the Build quality ( fit and finish of body panels, paint creature comforts ) that Ford has going for it.

But the 04 F-150 had a not so great history from the get go.

I will never ever own A ford truck, but friends and family have had awsome luck with thier Ford Products, so it you get a good one, you have the best built truck going.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:43 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
Every brand has it's pro's and cons, Dodge has the alousy reputation and so Far it has been the best Truck I have ever owned.
dodge has only 1 thing going for it: cummins diesel. the power wagon is a beast.

my friend has a 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 HEMI and its a POS he has like 15k on it and theres been more $ in repairs done on it then the amount spent on my F150 at 74k. hes also getting like single digits for gas mileage, not to mention the interior could make anyone puke.

Old 09-02-2007, 12:47 AM
Originally Posted by mSaLL150
dodge has only 1 thing going for it: cummins diesel. the power wagon is a beast.

my friend has a 1500 quad cab with the 5.7 HEMI and its a POS he has like 15k on it and theres been more $ in repairs done on it then the amount spent on my F150 at 74k. hes also getting like single digits for gas mileage, not to mention the interior could make anyone puke.

correct me if i'm wrong, but the power wagon only comes with the 5.7L hemi...

Old 09-02-2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by cyclone vampire
I allway's owned Fords, Than in 2002 The loyality was tested, in 04 I gave Ford a 2nd chance. Ford has a great truck if you get one from the get go that has been put togethier right.

Every brand has it's pro's and cons, Dodge has the alousy reputation and so Far it has been the best Truck I have ever owned. I really miss the Build quality ( fit and finish of body panels, paint creature comforts ) that Ford has going for it.

But the 04 F-150 had a not so great history from the get go.

I will never ever own A ford truck, but friends and family have had awsome luck with thier Ford Products, so it you get a good one, you have the best built truck going.
I went through something very similar to you, but I went to Ford from not one, but 2 GM trucks that were lemons, one not as bad, but I still wasn't happy with it. On my second GM, I spent 2k on an ESP, and by the time I dumped it (right after ESP expired), I had claimed 8k on ESP work, and it still wasn't fixed. I'm on my 5th Ford and knock on wood, they've all treated me well. The 01 Taurus ate front rotors pretty quick, but it was a great car.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:32 AM
I test drove Fords, Chevy/GMC, and Dodge. I think I would have been happy with any of the three. I guess the reason I went with Ford is because it looked the best to me, both inside and out and I got a pretty good deal with it being the end of the model year for the 2006's. Plus the Chevy dealers I dealt with were living in a different world than I am or maybe they didn't realize their sales were so far down. Dodge dealers too but to a lesser extent.
Ford seemed to realize things weren't going that well for them and they needed to do some wrangling to get rid of existing steel.

I am still happy with my F150 but the new Chevys and GMC's appear to be a whole new ballgame compared to the old. If I were truck shopping the GM's would come a lot closer to getting the nod this year than they did last year. Plus I've got a little over $2600 earned credit towards a GM product through my GM VISA card account.

The only good news in any of this falling economy is if you're in the market for a new truck of any make I bet there are some dealerships willing to sale at slightly below sticker price. Hehehe

All in all, my 1981 F150 was a good truck, my 1995 F150 was the most trouble-free vehicle I've ever owned, and my 2006 F150 from all indicators seems to be a solid truck too. I believe I'll stick with Ford for a while.

Now after that pro-Ford speech watch this S.O.B. lock up tighter than Catholic virgin when I start it up tomorrow morning.

Old 09-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I bought my F150 because I am a huge Ford fan. Also because I think the F150 looks the best out of all the trucks in it's class when I bought it.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:44 AM
First and foremost was the looks of the '04, I fell in love with it and I still am even after almost 4 years of owning it. Second was the capability these trucks have. The amount of work that this light duty truck can do is amazing. These are still the most solid trucks out there even though the design is 4 years old. The new stuff from GM and Toyota still can't out perform the F150's, the '09's will raise the bar even higher.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:46 AM
I was sure I was getting the Tundra or the Dodge.

Ford gave me an absurd deal I'd have been stupid to turn down.

No regrets.

Quick Reply: Why did you buy Ford vs. the others?