2004 - 2008 F-150

Can a factory sub be hooked up to a regular 6 disc changer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can a factory sub be hooked up to a regular 6 disc changer?

Can a factory sub be hooked up to a regular 6 disc changer? What work is involved?

Let me know.

Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 11:39 PM
Anyone know?

Thanks

Old 06-18-2007, 11:53 PM
It can be done, but I'm almost certain that the non audiophile radios do not low frequency output signals that are required for the subwoofer.

You would have to buy a low pass filter and splice it into your rear speaker wires. They sell these at pretty much all mobile audio stores for about $20-40 or so. This is where the amp would get it's signals for the sound that would come out of the sub. Of course you would have to also supply power, ground, and remote power to the amp as well.

Personally I don't think it's worth the hassle.

Old 06-19-2007, 12:20 AM
Isn't the six disc changer an audiophile unit?

Thanks

Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM
Anyone know if this will work?

Old 06-20-2007, 01:58 AM
they actually make two different versions of the six disc changer one is an audiophile and one isn't the way to tell is if it has two or three plugs on the back not including the antenna. As far as hooking up a factory sub to a non audiophile I am sure it can be done, but it will require a lot of splicing and probably won't sound as good because of the crossovers that are built into the audiophile. My advice would be to look for an audiophile deck on ebay or the classifieds, or just buy an aftermarket deck with more options i.e. ipod hook up and sat hookup.

Old 06-20-2007, 08:46 AM
Is there any other way to tell if I have an audiophile besides pulling out the head unit?

Thanks

Old 06-21-2007, 01:44 AM
Originally Posted by kalebarellano
Is there any other way to tell if I have an audiophile besides pulling out the head unit?

Thanks
Yes there is, you can go through the menu on the radio and see what features it has. I know the Audiophile has a few that the non-Audiophile doesn't, I believe DSP is one of them. Check the owners manual.

Old 06-21-2007, 11:23 AM
BMS
it's easy. All you have to do is buy a line level converter that splices into the harness. Like this.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TIwVutP...g=721&I=101PL2

Your head unit doesn't need to be audiophile. The audiophile has the factory sub harness but the harness probably just carries signal and the sub filters out the high frequencies using a built-in crossover.

The line level converter above splices into the harness to pick up signal and changes it over to R&L RCA lines. Run the RCA's to an amp and hook up your sub. Use the low pass crossover to filter out the levels above whatever frequency your sub can handle. If you have an amp that can accept line level inputs, you just splice in and run the wires to the amp.

It took me longer to figure out how to mount the amp than it did to wire it all up.

Old 06-21-2007, 12:24 PM
Originally Posted by BMS
Your head unit doesn't need to be audiophile. The audiophile has the factory sub harness but the harness probably just carries signal and the sub filters out the high frequencies using a built-in crossover.
The audiophile head unit itself filters out the high frequency signals before it sends the signals to the amp/sub. The amp amplifies exactly what the audiophile head unit sends it. It also doesn't send any low frequency signals to the front door speakers either.

To the original poster, that inline converter in the link BMS posted is exactly what you need in addition to an amplifier, factory or aftermarket, and sub.

Quick Reply: Can a factory sub be hooked up to a regular 6 disc changer?