2004 - 2008 F-150

Terrible Tinters

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 01:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by codywalker
umm.. guys with lots of Tattoo's and bad hair-cuts.... but as far as tint shops go thats classy right? It's not the $10 bucks, its the principle!
If it is the principle and you don't want your ten bucks back... what are you going to do? Slap them on their hand and have their mommy spank them and tell them to never do it ever again?

Old 06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
It came factory, It was called solar glass or solar tint or some thing.

They just tinted over it, they said they cant take it off.

My 2004 was a $20,000 XL scab with 16 on the clock.

I doubt it was blessed with any after market goodies.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:39 PM
Originally Posted by Podunk
It came factory, It was called solar glass or solar tint or some thing.

They just tinted over it, they said they cant take it off.

My 2004 was a $20,000 XL scab with 16 on the clock.

I doubt it was blessed with any after market goodies.
I'm thinking this is what I had as well. But it seems there are many who think no factory tint is possible. Thanks for the post, thought I was losing my mind for a second.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:49 PM
styxnpyx is right. Solar tint is put on at the dealer if it is on the glass. The only other factory tint is the stuff at the top of your windshield which is like dots.
BTW post up pics of the tint job.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by onyx_rock
BTW post up pics of the tint job.
Looks great in my opinion. I was going to be mad if they had "told me" they had to take the tint off and it was really factory ingrained in the window. But either-way it came out great. They put 15% on the front windows and it looks amazing. I also did 30% on the windshield.

I was VERY nervous about the windshield tinting. I live in Southern Alabama and my job requires me to be in my truck most of the day in the HOT sun.

After having the windshield tint, I gotta say I can't imagine driving around without it. The car does not heat up near as fast, but the main thing is that it makes it SOOO much easier to cool off. My truck gets very cool very fast. The next best part is that I don't have to squint. At night you can tell the windshield is tinted, but it does not hinder my driving at all. I would highly recommend it for anyone thinking about it. the 30% is also so light that people that don't know don't even realize it until I tell them. Thats my rant. rant over.

but back to the glass. I do wonder if it was ingrained in the glass like the back or not. Most people are saying not. Oh well guess I'll never know.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:05 PM
Do you have any before pictures? We should be able to tell if it had any aftermarket film on it.

The factory does not put any tint FILM on the front windows. It may be solar tinted within the glass however to block out UV, still allows probably 95-100% light transmission. But nothing that can be removed.

edit: Yes you did have an aftermarket (either by dealer or individual) tint film. Nothing by the factory. $10 well spent to remove.

From Ford's:website:
Glass, Solar-tinted
Automotive window glass with thicker construction that helps prevent ultraviolet ray penetration of the passenger compartment Solar-tinted glass helps reduce heat buildup in the interior of the vehicle by blocking out a significant portion of the solar energy. It accomplishes this not by reflecting the rays, but by absorbing the radiation and re-radiating the majority of it to the exterior of the vehicle

Not to be confused with privacy glass that is indeed tinted darker, but without the application of film.

Last edited by KSUWildcat; 06-13-2007 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:55 PM
You must have had some kind of tinting film on there. Solar glass is only slightly darker then clear glass.

Old 06-13-2007, 03:07 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck looks good. Hopefully, that same shop will only charge you $10 when they have to remove their work.

Old 06-13-2007, 04:28 PM
Originally Posted by KSUWildcat
edit: Yes you did have an aftermarket (either by dealer or individual) tint film. Nothing by the factory. $10 well spent to remove.
This is the just of the original question. Did he or did he not have a tint film applied to the glass that they charged him $10 to remove. There's no way for any of us to know that for sure or him to know that now if he didn't check it before he had them tint. Looking at his before and after pics, I would have to say that yes.. he had the factory (read solar glass) tint and nothing else.

They told him they had to remove the factory tint.. which as you also quoted from Ford's website... is impossible. FACTORY tinted glass is integral to the glass... everything else is aftermarket.. even if a dealer did it. Most all of Ford's glass (even the fronts but not the windshield) has some sort of solar tint to it unless you get a super cheap base model.

I stated such a week or two ago when he asked this question originally.

Last edited by quackrstackr; 06-13-2007 at 04:30 PM.
Old 06-13-2007, 04:41 PM
Suspended
Like someone else mentioned...

THERE IS NEVER FACTORY FILM TINT, ESPECIALLY ON FRONTS. ALL Factory tint is IN THE GLASS, and can not be removed or fade. After market tint is TOTALLY different as it is a film that is applied OVER the glass on the inside.

I can say with 1000000% certainty your truck did NOT have factory front tint- especially not a film.

Old 06-13-2007, 05:54 PM
i had my front windows tinted to match the rest of my windows last week. my front windows had a very very light tint film already on them(04 FX4). They charged me $10 bucks a window to remove it as well. the rest of my windows didn't have any film on them, looks like ford dipped them into something to darken them.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:34 PM
The confusion here is between tint and solar guard.

All the new F-150's I've seen have a solar guard embedded in the front side glass... it kind of looks like a light green color at some angles... it can not be removed.

Any kind of film would be dealer installed or aftermarket.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lol, you were a little misled on the front window tint in another thread I guess. I can just picture you getting all worked up, storming into their doors...haha. I'd have done the same.

Old 06-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by ieee_raider
The confusion here is between tint and solar guard.

All the new F-150's I've seen have a solar guard embedded in the front side glass... it kind of looks like a light green color at some angles... it can not be removed.

Any kind of film would be dealer installed or aftermarket.
X2!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:15 PM
I think the confussion is coming between "Factory installed Dealer installed". Off the factory floor...no tint. Off the dealer floor....tint .
From the pics i would say you had dealer installed tint, which they would have to remove.
Looks Good though!

Quick Reply: Terrible Tinters