2004 - 2008 F-150

Problems with Electric rear sliding window.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems with Electric rear sliding window.

Okay well first off, I bought this truck used and didnt even know it had this. I was actually thinking about adding it later on myself. I was always under the impression that the button to use the rear sliding window was on the left side of the steering wheel. I also have a moon roof and there was a switch next to it that I never could figure out what it did (apparently i guess its for the rear window). So I pull my backseat out yesterday to check on a few things. This is when I noticed the motor for the rear window. It does not function when I push the button. There was rust on some of the brackets that go to my seats which means water was leaking in (i suspected this)

So what I'm getting at is it possible water ruined the motor? Or is there some other problem? When I push the buttons to use the rear window slider the dome lights right by it dim. Does this indicate a short? Is there a fuse somewhere that I can check? Thanks to anybody that can help me.

Old 06-10-2007, 08:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
haha, that is great. A key feature you did not even know you had. I hope I find something like that on my truck. See if you can guide the window to open, sounds like it's stuck.

Last edited by Josiah; 06-10-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:34 PM
I tried to pull it open but I couldnt. I didnt want to pull really hard cause I didnt want to damage anything. And yeah I'm glad I found this feature. I bought the truck off ebay and it didnt say anything else about it.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:41 PM
Well, first make sure to rule out the basics...

The power rear window is a 2 wire connection. One side is + and one - to open, and the vice versa to close... I don't have my notes here which is which, but can find em if needed.

Check if you are getting voltage to the motor. I suspect you are, since the wiring is not usually an issue. Did the connection get corroded due to water?

2nd, the motor moves two guide wires that run through the plastic guides. Each goes up around the seat and along some guides to the window. Possible something rusted and is stuck due to water?

Next... The window may be stuck.. Not sure how to check this... you tried to move it, but did not want to break anything.

And last... run some water around the third brake light, that is common point for water coming in, to make sure it is still not leaking.

Rusted motors, if I recall were a bit common in the past. You may have a frozen motor. There were some TSB's about windows rattling, but not sure about rusty/failing motors. There are also some posts you will find with searching about intermittent rear windows...

Hope this helps... Some of it is pretty straightforward. I have no intention of offending your intelligence, if this is all stuff you have checked already...

Good luck
don04

Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Someone here will chime in on this but, wasn't there a TSB on this rear window issue? Maybe it was for a rattle or something... I can't recall other than I know there was a TSB back there for something...

Old 06-10-2007, 11:36 PM
the window motor back there is a bad desgin for some reason.. numerous people have had problems with it. mine only works when its below freezing outside, when its a decent temperature when id like to use it it does not work. i just havent felt like paying $150 to replace it and have it go bad again

Old 06-10-2007, 11:56 PM
Well I tried to pull those wires out of the little plastic piece that holds the glass and ended up busting one. It feels like the wire on the passenger side is seized unless its not suppose to move. I'm going to take it into the dealer as soon as i get the light fixed. I'm at 60,000mi right now, should i go ahead and ask them to put some new spark plugs in there? I know these things are notorious for spark plug issues

Old 06-11-2007, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by ctark
So I pull my backseat out yesterday to check on a few things. This is when I noticed the motor for the rear window. It does not function when I push the button. There was rust on some of the brackets that go to my seats which means water was leaking in (i suspected this

I have a rattle/squeak behind the rear seat on the passenger side and it drives me crazy. Could you tell me how to remove the rear seat as i want to hunt this annoyance down.

Thanks.

Old 06-11-2007, 05:55 PM
Man removing the seat is a pain in the rear. I wouldnt be good at explaining it but here's the website i used.

http://www.gordonmerrill.com/truck

Old 06-11-2007, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Someone here will chime in on this but, wasn't there a TSB on this rear window issue? Maybe it was for a rattle or something... I can't recall other than I know there was a TSB back there for something...

There's a TSB for the '05 power rear window rattle. They just add some of that cloth backed tape to the track until it stops rattling.

Old 06-11-2007, 07:34 PM
My window stuck on my 05 Supercrew once.

I pushed on the window a couple of times while the wife hit the button.

Once I got it going it worked fine.

Each time I got in the truck I would open the rear window and close it just to keep it from sticking.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:35 PM
Does anyone have a DIY to replace the motor for the rear sliding window? Specifically the 2004-2008 models. I've had this problem for three years now and while I was told by Ford that there was no TSB I was informed by a tech that the 3rd brake light was the problem - leaking water and ruining motors.

I did switch my brake light cover (for a mere $20) and I no longer have water but would love to get this window working once more.

Thanks in advance.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM
Originally Posted by Daneo2
Does anyone have a DIY to replace the motor for the rear sliding window? Specifically the 2004-2008 models. I've had this problem for three years now and while I was told by Ford that there was no TSB I was informed by a tech that the 3rd brake light was the problem - leaking water and ruining motors.

I did switch my brake light cover (for a mere $20) and I no longer have water but would love to get this window working once more.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry i do not have a DIY to replace the motor But there is a TSB for rattle in rear slider My son had it done on his 2004

Old 05-10-2017, 10:00 PM
Check burnt out bulbs

Hey guys, I recently had an issue with my sliding rear window not working. I had a dome light bulb out and as soon as it was replaced with a working bulb, the window started working again. This leads me to believe there needs to be full continuity where the window switch is between either bulbs and the window switch, or just the drivers side bulb and the switch (I didn't test that prior to changing the burnt out bulb). Or, it's a total effing mystery still but all I know is it's working again after that change lol.

Old 05-11-2017, 12:54 AM
glc
Received 757 Likes on 702 Posts
^^^

Check post dates......

Quick Reply: Problems with Electric rear sliding window.