2004 - 2008 F-150

Avic-D3 On the Way!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avic-D3 On the Way!!!

Ordered the D3 from Compuplus.com and harness and mounting kit from Crutchfield on Sun and just got the emails stating both of them will be delivered tommorrow by UPS. I am so pumped. I paid $709 plus $15 for shipping at compuplus and spent $41 and change at crutchfield. Cant wait to install this. Are there any tips or tricks I should know before starting this. I will do the bypass, but am confused on the steps even tough they sound simple. I understand moving the mute wire up, but when it comes to grounding do the 2 wires get grounded right out of the harness or are they grounded using the harness. Also, I have factory Sirius and want to know if that will hook right up to the D3. Please reply with any input.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 05-31-2007, 12:22 AM
you will enjoy this unit, the single drive kinda stinks, but if you have an ipod no problems. when you are removing the mute wire make sure you use a very small screwdriver(i used a eyeglass screwdriver) to lift up the plastic clip, and carefully pull the wire out. as far as grounding the 2 wires, simply splice the mute wire into the parking brake wire, then run brake wire to a good ground.

don't sweat the bypass, it is very simple as long as you are carefull with the mute wire.

Old 05-31-2007, 03:03 AM
you can use the antenna from factory sirius with some modification but you will need to buy the Pioneer SIR-PNR2 for sirius Link

Old 05-31-2007, 09:42 AM
I have had it in for about 2 weeks now - LOVE IT!!! I love the graphics, it shows the individual station logos for XM radio, the ipod interface is awesome! I think you will be really happy. The only thing I kinda miss is that it doesnt show the song and artist information on normal radio stations.

The single drive hasnt been an issue for me yet.

Enjoy! You made a great selection.

Old 05-31-2007, 11:21 AM
I just got mine installed on saturday and love it so far.

Old 05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Confused

OK,
I have everything in front of me and i am totally lost. most of the wires are straight forward, but the car speed wire is confusing me, there is no wire in the wiring harness that plug into the factory one. where do i find that wire from the truck that goes to the pink wire from the unit. also i have the audiophile and got the second plug with the harness for the sub. it has 2 remote tur ons, do i use just one. if anyone has pics of the wires all connected up i wold love to see them. please help

thanks,
greg

Old 05-31-2007, 11:42 PM
Originally Posted by gregbj33
OK,
I have everything in front of me and i am totally lost. most of the wires are straight forward, but the car speed wire is confusing me, there is no wire in the wiring harness that plug into the factory one. where do i find that wire from the truck that goes to the pink wire from the unit. also i have the audiophile and got the second plug with the harness for the sub. it has 2 remote tur ons, do i use just one. if anyone has pics of the wires all connected up i wold love to see them. please help

thanks,
greg
you connect the pink wire(seperate from the harness) to the gray/black wire in the factory ford harness(harness that came out of the factory radio) then from there you will notice the the end of it will then connect to the pink wire on the pioneer harness.

if you would have asked for pictures around 11am mtn. time, i had all the wires removed from my truck, had to solder a ground wire to the video intput shielding to get my xbox to work.

Last edited by gonefishin10; 06-01-2007 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:20 AM
think i got it while waiting for replies, i hooked up all the easy ones, speakers, power remote turn on etc. that left me with the pink, which i now know what to do, the violet for reverse which i found it is a black w/pink stripe located under driver side sill. The mute and parking brake, which according to bypass hack, the mute wire from head unit harness gets pulled and moved to empty slot right above it, which i did. then that wire along with the green parking brake get spliced together and grounded. What i did was connect those 2 wires to the ground wire from the crutchfield harness and left the ground wire from d3 loose to be grounded on the frame. Will the bypass work this way or do the 2 wires have to go right to metal. Only other question is the Ill wire from d3. I didnt hook it up to dimmer from harness as i read this wouldnt do anything. where do i hook it to get the day and night effect from the d3. thanks in advance for all the help

greg

Old 06-01-2007, 12:29 AM
Hook up the illumi wire from the D3 to the crutchfield's illumi wire harness, it will work..Also I grounded all the bypass wires to the stereo ground wire and everything works perfect.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:56 AM
in order to get the day and night settings for the navigation to work you must connect the illum wire. it is also a good idea to connect it because if it isn't connected the unit is way too bright at night. when it is connected the unit will dim the screen a bit once you turn your lights on. there should be a orange or orange/white wire on the aftermarket harness you bought, connect the d3 illum wire to it.

glad everything went together pretty easy for you.

also, avic411.com has a couple pretty cool ford backgrounds, if you would like to change your backgrounds.

http://www.avic411.com/forum/viewtop...=asc&start=285 almost at the bottom of the page is a pretty nice looking background. of course you could always create/photoshop your own.

Last edited by gonefishin10; 06-01-2007 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:41 AM
any reason why you went with the d3, over the z1, or d2?

just curious, as i'm looking to invest in a new head unit. not sure i really need the whole nav thing. most likely wouldnt use it. but i dont like the ipod and touch screen functions.

Old 06-01-2007, 10:15 AM
Its In, Its In!!!

Hey guys, Installed it this morning, and you're all right pretty easy install. the grey and black wire for speed sensor was easy and the black and pink reverse wire took maybe 3 mins to locate and connect. I'm assuming that under the staus screen where it shows, gps strength, illumination, park brake, etc. it said parking brake on and it wasnt that the bypass mod was a success, is this correct. also what is the back up line that shows low. any other quick tips now that everything is a go. for those with audiophile, does anyone have some eq and sub setting that maximize the potential of this system.

once again thanks!!!!!!!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:20 AM
hey murray,
btw the reason i went with this unit was the price, didnt want to go over 3 digits and got a good price from compuplus.com. $709 plus 14.95 shipping. Only downside is the single disc slot, but changer or ipod would fix this.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:46 PM
you cant beat the price...this unit does everything for under $1k. navigation, dvd movies, ipod, videos from ipod, music off of dvd-/+r...there is only 1 down side to the unit and that is there is only 1 disc slot....it is very easy to get around that though with an ipod, and the ipod controls are some of the best i have seen. you are not gonna be able to find a new model that can do everything the d3 does for that price, simple as that.

Old 06-01-2007, 01:49 PM
Originally Posted by gregbj33
Hey guys, Installed it this morning, and you're all right pretty easy install. the grey and black wire for speed sensor was easy and the black and pink reverse wire took maybe 3 mins to locate and connect. I'm assuming that under the staus screen where it shows, gps strength, illumination, park brake, etc. it said parking brake on and it wasnt that the bypass mod was a success, is this correct. also what is the back up line that shows low. any other quick tips now that everything is a go. for those with audiophile, does anyone have some eq and sub setting that maximize the potential of this system.

once again thanks!!!!!!!
go drive around with a movie playing, if it plays your bypass worked.

Quick Reply: Avic-D3 On the Way!!!