2004 - 2008 F-150

Avic-D3 On the Way!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2007, 10:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes you can hook up an external dvd player...but your best option is to just get a video ipod...converting your dvd movies to ipod format is very simple...or just put the movie into the d3 and go without the navigation.

when you are doing the bypass make sure you are very careful when you move the mute wire.

Old 06-03-2007, 10:22 PM
Thanks. I just placed an order at crutchfield too and got the harness, mounting kit, and the ipod interface cord. I do have a video ipod so I will probably just use that or take the nav disk out. I will be referring back to these forums for help when i try to bypass it and get the thing installed.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:33 AM
will the AVIC-D3 control my gigabeat or Zune Mp3 players? or is sepcifically set to only control an ipod?

Old 06-04-2007, 08:32 AM
gotta question for all who have the d3....do any of you have the bluetooth connection set up? curious to see how well it works, and if it's worth it to buy the additional component needed for it?

Old 06-04-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally Posted by gonefishin10
yes you can hook up an external dvd player...but your best option is to just get a video ipod...converting your dvd movies to ipod format is very simple...or just put the movie into the d3 and go without the navigation.

when you are doing the bypass make sure you are very careful when you move the mute wire.
right now I only have a regular Ipod nano, but the more I read what you keep saying, the Ipod video would be the way to go. My question, is how long does it take to convert a dvd to the Ipod and do you have all the normal dvd features like the menu to select scenes by chapter etc. Also about how much space does a an average movie take up on an Ipod video?

Old 06-04-2007, 02:40 PM
Originally Posted by goldmember
right now I only have a regular Ipod nano, but the more I read what you keep saying, the Ipod video would be the way to go. My question, is how long does it take to convert a dvd to the Ipod and do you have all the normal dvd features like the menu to select scenes by chapter etc. Also about how much space does a an average movie take up on an Ipod video?
the program i use takes about 2hrs to convert a movie to ipod format, don't know about the other programs out there. but i do know that converting video does take time. this program also gets rid of the menus and such. the average size of the movie depends on the quality you convert it at. i try to keep mine right at 1.5gig each. i only keep 3-4 movies on my ipod, the rest of my collection is stored on my pc. i just rotate them depending on what i want to watch or how long my trip is going to be.

once my money tree starts growing again my plan is to get a 80gig ipod video for all my movies, and just use my 30gig video for music only. then just swap them when i want to watch a movie. i have my ipod wire run to my center console hatch so switch them would be very easy.

but for now 3-4 movies is more than enough, shoot i guess i could just rip a bunch of movies to my xbox hd and use that to play movies, but the xbox is kinda big.

Old 06-04-2007, 02:45 PM
That makes perfect sense. 3 or 4 movies is more than enough. Not to mention worse case scenario you just put a movie into the dvd slot.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by tncn
will the AVIC-D3 control my gigabeat or Zune Mp3 players? or is sepcifically set to only control an ipod?

yes you could use the zune, however you would have to connect it through the rca's(yellow,red,white) on the harness. don't know how you would control it, my guess would be you have to use the zune. you could also connect it to the mini jack on the front of the unit.

it would work, i just don't know how the controls would work. do you need to use the zune to control or can you do it from the d3, i don't know. but it will work.

Old 06-04-2007, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by murray330
gotta question for all who have the d3....do any of you have the bluetooth connection set up? curious to see how well it works, and if it's worth it to buy the additional component needed for it?
don't think any of us here have the bluetooth accessory. check out the forums over at avic411.com i believe most of those guys have dealt with the bluetooth.

Old 06-04-2007, 04:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gone fishin what program are you using?

Also, what are the differences between the d3 and the avic z1. I was very impressed with bluetooth phone features, navigation, and the interface of the z1 in Brian's truck (bhf150).

Old 06-04-2007, 05:03 PM
I use Magic DVD Ripper to rip from dvd to ipod video, but I use some other program to convert mpegs, avis, etc to ipod format (forgot the name of this one)

Old 06-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by Josiah
gone fishin what program are you using?

Also, what are the differences between the d3 and the avic z1. I was very impressed with bluetooth phone features, navigation, and the interface of the z1 in Brian's truck (bhf150).
i use dvdclone mobile from slysoft...but you need another program from slysoft called anydvd for it to work...the only reason i use these is because i purchased them a while back, and already had them, and didn't want to spend any more cash on a program. there are many out there, run a search on google for "convert video to ipod format"

as for the differences between the d3 and z1: the d3 is more cost friendly, offering everything at an unbeatable price. the z1 comes with a built in 30gig hard drive, all the maps are on the drive(no map disc) with 10gig reserved for music. you can program your routes by talking to the z1, the d3 you have to enter it on the screen. z1 also has a little bigger screen and can tilt/adjust to your liking. i am sure there are some more differences. it basically boils down to if you have the extra cash to pay for the extra features.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:01 AM
don't think any of us here have the bluetooth accessory. check out the forums over at avic411.com i believe most of those guys have dealt with the bluetooth.
yeah, i was reading up on it over there..was just curious as to what anyone thought on this site. more familiar to the guys over here, ya know?....thanks though!

as for the differences between the d3 and z1: the d3 is more cost friendly, offering everything at an unbeatable price. the z1 comes with a built in 30gig hard drive, all the maps are on the drive(no map disc) with 10gig reserved for music. you can program your routes by talking to the z1, the d3 you have to enter it on the screen. z1 also has a little bigger screen and can tilt/adjust to your liking. i am sure there are some more differences. it basically boils down to if you have the extra cash to pay for the extra features.
as you mentioned to my post to check out avic411. i was reading up on the z1, seems like it has some glitches on it (ie: takes time to warm up once the vehicle is started, and some warning screen that pops up that you have to keep hitting the "ok" button to clear it)...just wanted to post my 2cents in here.....think i'm leaning more on getting the d3 myself!!

Old 06-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Originally Posted by murray330
Ive got bluetooth on my pioneer 9800BT... I have a Palm Treo 650 that I use it with... Also (I sell some of this stuff) got my buddy one he used with a Sony Erricsson 880 (I think? Its a new black walkman phone) and we both really like it.

His phone seems to work a little better but its just a newer version of bluetooth then I have I believe. Your CD/iPod/XM/Tuner/etc will pause or mute whenever you get or make a call. You can use like 5 phones with it, but only one at a time. The bluetooth auto connects within about 30 seconds or so of starting my car, and its great. I see signal strength on the screen, and my friend gets a battery life indicator as well with his Sony Erricsson. Also missed call indicator, and I can use the Pioneer remote to make/take calls, or reject them as well. The deck also remembers the volume setting individual of the other sources so you can have extra volume for the phone without being blasted by 50 Cent when you hang up the call. Incoming/outgoing number are shown on the headunit and if you can figure out how to put your phonebook into the deck it will show names as well. I love it. Hope this explains its ok.

Old 06-05-2007, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Robamus
Ive got bluetooth on my pioneer 9800BT... I have a Palm Treo 650 that I use it with... Also (I sell some of this stuff) got my buddy one he used with a Sony Erricsson 880 (I think? Its a new black walkman phone) and we both really like it.

His phone seems to work a little better but its just a newer version of bluetooth then I have I believe. Your CD/iPod/XM/Tuner/etc will pause or mute whenever you get or make a call. You can use like 5 phones with it, but only one at a time. The bluetooth auto connects within about 30 seconds or so of starting my car, and its great. I see signal strength on the screen, and my friend gets a battery life indicator as well with his Sony Erricsson. Also missed call indicator, and I can use the Pioneer remote to make/take calls, or reject them as well. The deck also remembers the volume setting individual of the other sources so you can have extra volume for the phone without being blasted by 50 Cent when you hang up the call. Incoming/outgoing number are shown on the headunit and if you can figure out how to put your phonebook into the deck it will show names as well. I love it. Hope this explains its ok.
do you have to hook up a microphone and connect it to the hu, or can you use a bluetooth headset? i guess i'm not really sure how you talk once the hu picks up the phone.

oh btw, sorry for highjacking the thread...i'll be picking up this unit soon, and just want to make sure i order all the parts i need before i install it!

Quick Reply: Avic-D3 On the Way!!!