F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   '04 owners how's your truck holding up? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/286893-04-owners-hows-your-truck-holding-up.html)

CPA08F150 08-30-2008 06:16 PM

Traded in my 04 FX4 last month. I put on 59,000 relatively problem free miles. The only problem encountered during that time was a problem with the parking brake not releasing properly. Other than oil changes and a new set of tires, I didn't spend any money on any maintenance or repair items.

4X4AUTIGER 08-30-2008 08:57 PM

Mines holdin up great after 52,500 miles :thumbsup:
I just put the lift on at 50,000 miles

CometFlash 08-31-2008 12:31 AM

Even with the horrid engine whine :mad: and numerous rattles, my '04 still runs and looks great. I'll be keeping mine another 3(2012)-5(2014) years I would guess, long enough for Ford to actually do a full redesign again.

I have to say my '97 was built much better than my '04, but alas I was tempted by the redesign in 2004. That's probably one really great thing about the major refresh for '09, those things will most likely have few problems as most of them have been ironed out over the past 5 years. Even still, my '04 still is going very strong. It scares me when I hear some people say they need to trade their '04+ for the refresh. In 5 years your '04 F-150 is falling apart? Now that's scary, and very hard to believe.

SteveVFX4 08-31-2008 01:01 AM

Bought end of April 2004, driven daily but only have 32k miles right now (short 3 mile work commute). No major problems. A few minor things to mention:

-front brake pads changed at 500 miles due to too much dust, replaced with Porterfields, still have half pad left on them.
-rear brake pads only lasted 16k miles, replaced with Porterfields
-serpentine belt replaced under warranty at 3k miles due to squeal. Squeal returned at 28k miles and I fixed it for good hopefully with a Gatorback belt.
-limited slip rear clutch packs replaced under warranty due to shuddering
-driver's window button light went out and replaced under warranty. Then the new switch later started to go bad as the window wouldn't go up without pressing the button several times, so I replaced the switch again myself.
-crappy factory BFG 18" tires lasted 16k miles and replaced for free under warranty. Then same tires were almost worn again @28k miles! I'm now running the Wrangler ATS LT tires
-now after 4 years my black rectangular step bars are showing signs of rusting so I might replace them

Still on original battery (knock on wood!)

Was thinking about getting an 09 but I'm going to wait until the Ecoboost V6 comes out and see at that time.

DarrenWS6 08-31-2008 04:33 AM

2004 XLT Supercab, bought it at 61k, currently going on 66k, unaware of its history but its a very nice quality truck. Built 4/2004 in the Virginia Plant. Only annoying things are the occasional coasting squeal, and the diesel sound at idle from under the hood.

Tbird69 08-31-2008 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by CometFlash (Post 3355316)
Even with the horrid engine whine :mad: and numerous rattles, my '04 still runs and looks great. I'll be keeping mine another 3(2012)-5(2014) years I would guess, long enough for Ford to actually do a full redesign again.

I have to say my '97 was built much better than my '04, but alas I was tempted by the redesign in 2004. That's probably one really great thing about the major refresh for '09, those things will most likely have few problems as most of them have been ironed out over the past 5 years. Even still, my '04 still is going very strong. It scares me when I hear some people say they need to trade their '04+ for the refresh. In 5 years your '04 F-150 is falling apart? Now that's scary, and very hard to believe.

I would guess that the majority of those people say they need to replace their '04's mostly because they're the type of people that always want to have the newest and greatest thing, not because the trucks are falling apart.

rlandry2010 08-31-2008 11:28 AM

i love my 04 havnt hit 40k miles

Matrix13 09-01-2008 04:46 AM

Just about 58000 miles on a 2004. Problems I've had are and fix are...

-Front brake pads / Rotors ( Took forever, to change out by the way)
-Driver's window motor broke
-Starter / Fly Wheel
-Battery

04D6FX-4 09-01-2008 07:10 PM

75k miles and nothing but brakes, tires and drivers window regulator. It's a keeper. Need more power, my 91 would out pull it all day.

CaptBradP 09-02-2008 09:16 AM

I am thrilled with my truck, now at 82K. I'm the original owner not really any engine or body mods, still mud and sand the truck a few times a month to make it work. Here are the larger problems I have encountered:

-Leaking 3rd brake light, fixed under warranty
-Shifter cap chrome piece came off, fixed under warranty. Just recently came off again
-New Rotors and Pads for Front after 50K mostly preventative and due to the brake dust problems
-4x4 vacuum solenoid fried ($30 part); read numerous posts on here AFTER major problem occurred with front hubs, so I had to repair one hub and replace one. New vacuum solenoid has a “rain cap” on it and comes stock on all newer models. Should’ve been a TSB or recall to replace these years ago and I would have never had the hub problem!
-Fuel Filler Door broke, plastic hinges, still not replaced yet
-Took the truck to an A/C shop yesterday, I think my compressor is going out so that sucks.
-Also the leather has not held up that well in the front seats, backseat is fine.

Besides that I am all over buying another one after this one is run into the ground (hoping to make it past 150K).

Brad

dsq3973 09-02-2008 10:01 AM

Mine is running great it just rolled over to 76K last week. The only things that I have to done to the truck as far as repairs are brakes, IWE and one hub. I also got rid of the horrid P rated tires for some nice load range E tires. Other than that I change the oil every 5K and and the fuel filter every 10K. I will be keeping mine for a long time because I am sure that I can get 200K out of it and it will be paid off shortly.

MercedesTech 09-02-2008 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Lou3 (Post 3354491)
2004 F150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4, purchased in 8/04, now has 19,654 miles.

*Replaced 3rd Brake Light, 5 weeks ago, out of warranty, new one started leaking 1 week ago (waste of $85), so I put epoxy around it to seal it up. A common problem according to my Ford dealer service rep.

*Just replaced the Drivers side front Window regulator myself today ($154.00 part). Dealer wanted $365 to fix it. Out of warranty. I understand that the rest will be failing in short order according to what I have read.

*Truck has been making an occasional grinding noise for the last 6 months but goes away if I turn the 4x4 selector on and then off. Not good im sure!

Folks, Ive owned Toyota's, Honda's, Mitsubishi's, and one Subaru, and have never seen such poor quality in a vehicle. Ford should be ashamed, and yet they fail to stand behind their product when it is obvious that there are some common defects to these trucks. I don't want to offend, but some of you folks sound like Ford 'moonies' in your devotion to this flawed vehicle. Yes, it is an attractive looking truck however, I wish I had bought a Tundra back when I had the chance. I won't make that mistake again. Ford Quality...., Right.....:(

:lol:

Sorry, but you don't understand cars much, do ya ? Don't really quite get how the world works ? How the auto industry works ? Its ok, most people don't. You have any idea what it cost for research and development ? You think every single car produced should be flawless ? The issues you list on your truck are so small and petty, I don't understand your complaints. Maybe if you were on your 3rd trans, or 2nd engine or something drastic. But normal wear and tear items ? You think other's window regulators don't fail ? Its a very common problem, even in the fancy smancy Mercedes Benz. 3rd brake light leaks ? Big whoop... took you how much money ? How much time to fix ? If you had done some research before hand, you most likely would have sealed it up before putting it on. Finally, a grinding noise ?? Trucks make noise. Hard to comment on it, not have heard it myself.

No matter what car manufacturer you choose, you will always have problems. Plain and simple. How well the dealer works with you, would be on a "per-dealership" basis, not a company basis. You buy 10 of the most expensive Mercedes on the market. You'd think they'd be flawless right ? Spending the rediculous amount of money they ask, you wouldn't think a problem would come up after 1k miles huh ? Wrong. You take 10 vehicles from any company, 5 of them will run great and be problem free. Another 3 will have the occasional issue, things that probably "shouldn't" be going wrong, but something is up with them. You will have fixes more often then those other 5. Now the last 2 will be what we call "Hangar queens". They will spend most of their life inside the garage, up on a lift, being "fixed" . When you run into one of these, it is truly unfortunate, but it does happen. Now, you can cut your losses, and attempt t0 sell or trade in. Or, you can see if the dealership will work with you for some kind of trade. You will be basically SOL. To think you will have better luck with company "X" over company "B" is rediculous. You want less issues ? Get less creature comforts. Things like auto windows, auto locks, Navi, back up camera's, rear auto windows, automatics, etc etc etc. The fancier and more doodad equipt the car is, the more stuff that can break. Get some manual seats, manual windows, manual locks, and the basic of everything else, and you will see less issues, but still may face some. Yota has its pile of problems, along with Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, Audi, Aston Martin, Jag, etc etc etc.

To say Ford lacks quality, due to a couple very small items that normally do wear out.... wearing out, is rediculous on your part. Sure, your on low miles, but realize your truck is going on 5 years old. Miles aren't everything. Not sure what you expect. I would much rather be replacing a window regulator or 3rd brake light vs. a rear tailgate or an engine due to "catastrophic bearing failure" (both known problems on Toyota). To each his own though....

:beers:

Penguin86 09-02-2008 01:47 PM

my truck has a few problems, haven't quite identified a couple of the problems though...still working on that whole getting money to do it thing...

loud rattling noise from the front
loud squek comming from the back
fog lights leak
fuel door broke
ticking sound comming from front when it's over 80 degrees
about 3 minutes after shutting the truck off there is a loud ping sound that sounds like something metal falls into something else metal.
emergency brake exploded in right rear wheel ($50 - mechanic cleaned it all up and disconnected the brake)

nothing else noticeable that has gone wrong

i'm the 2nd owner of this truck so i dont know how the first perso treated it.

my biggest concerns are the rattle sound in the front and the loud ping sound after shutting it off.

but like i said no money to get them checked out right now so i just hope it's nothing thats causing major damage

on a good day i'm happy with my truck but on a bad day i get PO'd and want to sell it

mikec426 09-02-2008 06:30 PM

I've had the driver's window button light go out...
The outside air temp sensor go kaput...
One of the reverse sensors go belly up... every now and they still act up. Beep! Beep! Beep! Even though nothing's behind me...

And one strange thing that happened less than a year after I bought it. The dealership even said there'd only been on similar case in the entire nation... After I used the key fob to lock the truck, the parking lamps continued to flash. There was also a clicking coming from behind the left, rear passenger seat (I have a SuperCab) that sounded like a relay clicking. Truck running, stopped, lights on, lights off, hazard lights on or off, nothing would keep the parking lamps from flashing. I drove it to the dealership that afternoon. They took a quick look at it and were quite confused. Especially about the clicking since there isn't a relay behind the left, rear seat. They couldn't get to it that day and it blinked on through the night and eventually killed the battery. They charged the battery and started the truck back up and it's never happened again...

Regular oil changes, a brake job, and a new set of tires after something near sliced through the sidewalls on the passenger side and that's it. Runs like a top. Still going to trade it in next spring though after I move across the country. Until I'm making significantly more $$$ or full size trucks start getting 25+ MPG, I won't be getting another one...

Tbird69 09-02-2008 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech (Post 3357569)

Sorry, but you don't understand cars much, do ya ? Don't really quite get how the world works ? How the auto industry works ? Its ok, most people don't. You have any idea what it cost for research and development ? You think every single car produced should be flawless ? The issues you list on your truck are so small and petty, I don't understand your complaints. Maybe if you were on your 3rd trans, or 2nd engine or something drastic. But normal wear and tear items ? You think other's window regulators don't fail ? Its a very common problem, even in the fancy smancy Mercedes Benz. 3rd brake light leaks ? Big whoop... took you how much money ? How much time to fix ? If you had done some research before hand, you most likely would have sealed it up before putting it on. Finally, a grinding noise ?? Trucks make noise. Hard to comment on it, not have heard it myself.

No matter what car manufacturer you choose, you will always have problems. Plain and simple. How well the dealer works with you, would be on a "per-dealership" basis, not a company basis. You buy 10 of the most expensive Mercedes on the market. You'd think they'd be flawless right ? Spending the rediculous amount of money they ask, you wouldn't think a problem would come up after 1k miles huh ? Wrong. You take 10 vehicles from any company, 5 of them will run great and be problem free. Another 3 will have the occasional issue, things that probably "shouldn't" be going wrong, but something is up with them. You will have fixes more often then those other 5. Now the last 2 will be what we call "Hangar queens". They will spend most of their life inside the garage, up on a lift, being "fixed" . When you run into one of these, it is truly unfortunate, but it does happen. Now, you can cut your losses, and attempt t0 sell or trade in. Or, you can see if the dealership will work with you for some kind of trade. You will be basically SOL. To think you will have better luck with company "X" over company "B" is rediculous. You want less issues ? Get less creature comforts. Things like auto windows, auto locks, Navi, back up camera's, rear auto windows, automatics, etc etc etc. The fancier and more doodad equipt the car is, the more stuff that can break. Get some manual seats, manual windows, manual locks, and the basic of everything else, and you will see less issues, but still may face some. Yota has its pile of problems, along with Chevy, Ford, Mercedes, Audi, Aston Martin, Jag, etc etc etc.

To say Ford lacks quality, due to a couple very small items that normally do wear out.... wearing out, is rediculous on your part. Sure, your on low miles, but realize your truck is going on 5 years old. Miles aren't everything. Not sure what you expect. I would much rather be replacing a window regulator or 3rd brake light vs. a rear tailgate or an engine due to "catastrophic bearing failure" (both known problems on Toyota). To each his own though....

MercedesTech easy man, I dealt with this already.:lol: Said pretty much the same thing too.:thumbsup::beers:

SteveVFX4 09-02-2008 11:07 PM

Originally Posted by mikec426 (Post 3357864)
And one strange thing that happened less than a year after I bought it. The dealership even said there'd only been on similar case in the entire nation... After I used the key fob to lock the truck, the parking lamps continued to flash. There was also a clicking coming from behind the left, rear passenger seat (I have a SuperCab) that sounded like a relay clicking. Truck running, stopped, lights on, lights off, hazard lights on or off, nothing would keep the parking lamps from flashing. I drove it to the dealership that afternoon. They took a quick look at it and were quite confused. Especially about the clicking since there isn't a relay behind the left, rear seat. They couldn't get to it that day and it blinked on through the night and eventually killed the battery. They charged the battery and started the truck back up and it's never happened again...

That location sounds like where the BCM (Body Control Module) is. It most likely controls things like the keyless entry and lights, etc. Maybe it just had a glitch/short circuit in it that day. I'm suprised the dealer didn't try to replace the BCM?

Milton Long 09-02-2008 11:16 PM

Ok here the real question. How many of you, if you have the 5.4L with the 3 valve's per cyl. are planing to keep their trucks when tune up times comes. Unless Ford come's up with a recall for this mistake. Hold on to your shorts. What I am talking about is the 9/16 plugs that sezie in the heads and then break off when you turn them 1/16 of a turn. Ask you Loacal Ford dealer.

Tbird69 09-03-2008 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Long (Post 3358340)
Ok here the real question. How many of you, if you have the 5.4L with the 3 valve's per cyl. are planing to keep their trucks when tune up times comes. Unless Ford come's up with a recall for this mistake. Hold on to your shorts. What I am talking about is the 9/16 plugs that sezie in the heads and then break off when you turn them 1/16 of a turn. Ask you Loacal Ford dealer.

Those of us here that own '04's are well aware of the issue. Some have dealt with it already, some are preparing to. It's not a deal breaker for me, I plan to keep mine for quite a few more years. I'm going to get the plugs replaced before winter then I don't have to think about it for another 4 years.:coffee:

MercedesTech 09-03-2008 12:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tbird69 (Post 3357909)
MercedesTech easy man, I dealt with this already.:lol: Said pretty much the same thing too.:beers:

:o

Couldn't help it ! Sorry then

mikec426 09-03-2008 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by SteveVFX4 (Post 3358324)
That location sounds like where the BCM (Body Control Module) is. It most likely controls things like the keyless entry and lights, etc. Maybe it just had a glitch/short circuit in it that day. I'm suprised the dealer didn't try to replace the BCM?

I didn't know that. I had 2 people from the dealership out there with me when I dropped the truck off. They heard the clicking and just scratched their heads.

Milton Long 09-03-2008 01:48 PM

If you thinking I am knocking Fords your dead wrong. The list of Fords I have owned is very long. Starting with my forst car 1968 mustang next 1962 F100 4X4/ 292 with headers. Several F searies ranging from F500 4x4 to a excap 4x4 ranger with 450k miles. I can't KILL IT. Love my FORDS.

hackyzac 09-03-2008 02:44 PM

my '04 got hit today :(

all these years and no problems, and a chevy tried takin her out....but i got that chevy bumper :devil:

momalle1 09-03-2008 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Milton Long (Post 3358340)

A good friend of mine is a master Ford technician, he says they don't all get stuck, his experience is that most of them come out OK.

Non issue for me too, not even sure I'll put 100k on it before I (probably) get rid of it in another 5 or so years.

CometFlash 09-03-2008 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by momalle1 (Post 3359308)
A good friend of mine is a master Ford technician, he says they don't all get stuck, his experience is that most of them come out OK.

Non issue for me too, not even sure I'll put 100k on it before I (probably) get rid of it in another 5 or so years.

Agreed. My '04 will be 5 years old in March next year (2009) and it has 45k on it right now. Replaced NOTHING except tires so far. Even if Ford waits until 2014 to do an actual redesign of the truck (not this '09 refresh stuff), I don't think I'll hit 100k.

I don't recall how many miles I had on my '97 when trading for my '04, but it wasn't anywhere near 100k and I think that was almost 8 years of ownership (since the '97 launched early in '96).

So I don't think it will be an issue then, if at all. I really hope they redesign it for 2012, but even if they keep the current '04 style until 2014 I can't seeing hitting 100,000 miles.

What's the big deal anyways? You bring it to the dealer and they do what they have to do. Don't understand the big problem some people seem to have with this issue, unless they are trying to do this themselves.

MercedesTech 09-03-2008 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by CometFlash (Post 3359354)
What's the big deal anyways? You bring it to the dealer and they do what they have to do. Don't understand the big problem some people seem to have with this issue, unless they are trying to do this themselves.

First off, I would never let the dealer touch my truck, but thats just me. I do all my own work, so to know how much a PITA they can be and what I needed the truck for... I chose the 4.6.

Also, some people who do allow the crooks... I mean dealership to touch their vehicle, are bringing it in for a routine tune-up. They expect to be paying a few hundred bucks. Then they get a phone calls saying they have broken a sparkplug off in the head, and are going to need $4-5k to fix it. That might be chump change to some, but thats a whole lot of money in my eyes. Thats probably what the "big deal" is.

Milton Long 09-03-2008 09:10 PM

The big deal is alot of people like me buy used trucks and little things like this can turn into a nightmare for the guy that does't take or can't afford to take his truck to the dealer. To have a independent shop repair this might get a little costly. Unless they have the extractor or have dealt with this before. By the way does any body know how many miles you can get out of a 5.4L. My 2000 F150 has 227k. I would like to know what max life is on the engine?

Tbird69 09-03-2008 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech (Post 3358877)
:o

Couldn't help it ! Sorry then

It's all good. I was fine with his post even when he criticized Ford quality. When he mentioned the Tundra the gloves hit the floor.:lol:

JRVicHammer 09-03-2008 11:16 PM

My '04 has 58,000 miles. I have had two minor problems... 1. I have a parking brake that sticks and causes a vibration. The Ford dealer couldn't figure it out while under warranty so I fixed it by not using the parking brake anymore. 2. The third brake light has started to leak on two occasions....both times I have removed the light, repositioned the seal and put the light back on, fixing that problem. I haven't had to replace brakes or tires yet. I am thinking about replacing the shocks with some Billstien shocks as the truck is starting to ride a little bit rougher than when I bought it. I have about three more years before I hit 100K and I will trade before then so I am not concerned about spark plugs.

MercedesTech 09-04-2008 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by Milton Long (Post 3359585)
The big deal is alot of people like me buy used trucks and little things like this can turn into a nightmare for the guy that does't take or can't afford to take his truck to the dealer. To have a independent shop repair this might get a little costly. Unless they have the extractor or have dealt with this before. By the way does any body know how many miles you can get out of a 5.4L. My 2000 F150 has 227k. I would like to know what max life is on the engine?

Good point. Taking it to the dealer would become far more costly then a good, reputable independant shop, in most cases though. Either way, doing it yourself, or having someone else do it, it can become a PITA. Either costing you lots of money, or costing you plenty of time, sweat and tears.

As for the life of the engine, that in completely relative, and a very hard question to answer. It all depends how you drive, where you drive, how well you take care of your vehicle, what you use your vehicle for, how often ?
The engine block itself can last you damn near forever. When it gets real bad, you can bore it out, making it a "larger engine" and also giving you a "new surface" to be working with. Parts can be replaced, and things can be fixed. I have customers with gas engines nearing the 500k mark here at our shop, and there is the "Million Mile Van" which is a Ford van, with the 5.4, trying or has gotten to the 1 million mile mark. Engines last longer then most people can even dream of, just depends how much money and time you have to dump into it.

MercedesTech 09-04-2008 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by jjr8214 (Post 3359838)
My '04 has 58,000 miles. I have had two minor problems... 1. I have a parking brake that sticks and causes a vibration. The Ford dealer couldn't figure it out while under warranty so I fixed it by not using the parking brake anymore. 2. The third brake light has started to leak on two occasions....both times I have removed the light, repositioned the seal and put the light back on, fixing that problem. I haven't had to replace brakes or tires yet. I am thinking about replacing the shocks with some Billstien shocks as the truck is starting to ride a little bit rougher than when I bought it. I have about three more years before I hit 100K and I will trade before then so I am not concerned about spark plugs.

What do you mean it "sticks" ? When you release it, it doesn't disengage all the way ?? Then that causes the vibration ? Or what ?:confused:
I would look into getting that fixed. If you ever park on a hill, or need it in a bad situation, its better to have it. Plus, takes some strain off the transmission parking brake.

For the 3rd brake light, next time it starts leaking, take it off, and put a bead of silicone around the seal. That should be the final fix. Keeps the water out.

JRVicHammer 09-04-2008 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech (Post 3360275)
What do you mean it "sticks" ? When you release it, it doesn't disengage all the way ?? Then that causes the vibration ? Or what ?:confused:
I would look into getting that fixed. If you ever park on a hill, or need it in a bad situation, its better to have it. Plus, takes some strain off the transmission parking brake.

For the 3rd brake light, next time it starts leaking, take it off, and put a bead of silicone around the seal. That should be the final fix. Keeps the water out.

I used to live on a street that was hilly and I would set the parking brake when parking on the street. The next time I would drive the truck I would get vibration that would start at around 30mph and would progressively get worse. I could feel it in the steering wheel and I could see the windshield wipers shaking. I took it to the dealer two times and they could not duplicate the vibration (the vibration would occur on the way to the dealer and then when I came to a stop it wouldn't do it again until the next time the parking brake was set). Once I realized it may be the parking brake I stopped using it and the vibration never occurred again.

I will probably have it fixed one of these days. I wish I knew how to do it myself because whenever I have the dealer look at it they can't find any problem with the parking brake releasing.

Dankle666 09-04-2008 01:08 PM

My 04 with 90,000 has had no problems besides from my abuse. I ground the brakes down to metal on metal doing brake stands and had to replace the rotors. The front end makes kind of a clunking noise when turning (intermittent). That appeared after abusing my truck in some rutted and semi muddy fields. The 2.5" leveling kit added to that stress. No complaints here. :beers:

bigmike899 09-05-2008 09:58 AM

The problems ive had with my truck: Brakes as always, drive line vibe, problems with the tires, something about the intake which caused the truck to go into safe mode, also the rear window slider, drivers window control light out, headlight switch light out, the leather front seat (drivers side looks like sh*t, passenger getting there), theres currently a squeak in the front pass side dashboard. I cant stand dealerships, Ive dealt with a couple up here in Brooklyn. I would definitely suggest do not take it to Popular Ford. Ford warranty had my truck towed there, and they would not accept it, even when Ford told them to. I had to have it towed (on Fords expense) to another dealership, whom my grandfather bought his old cars from. These dealerships just want to say they cant find the problems and charge you to fix it. Ive had problems with my 03 excursion, huge driveline vibration, and noone could give me a fix for it. Im going back to Chevy or Japanese next time around.
PS
My battery is dead, so now I have to get a new battery today.

MercedesTech 09-05-2008 12:48 PM

obviously you haven't read on here, or you are just stirring the pot.

Go back to Chebby or Jap crap ? Are you serious ? I am sorry your dealership blows a fat one, but that doesn't mean Ford is bad. You need to find yourself a good, honest independent shop. Dealerships are all crooks, no matter which company you choose. Some are better then others, but I wouldn't, unless in a desperate situation, ever take anything into the dealership. Independents are generally more honest, don't work on commission, take pride in their work, and want you to spread a good word for them, so they bend over backwards for you.

Or better yet, quit relying on other people to fix YOUR truck. Learn about your vehicle, and fix it yourself. Then if things go wrong, all you have to blame is yourself. You get a better feeling of pride, and self accomplishment. You may also realize how hard it is to diagnose cars, and fix them to customer's standards (which are usually above the vehicle's standards).

Battery is dead... are you sure the problem is the battery ? Make sure. Dropping a new battery into a problematic charging system is going to be a waste of money and time, and force you into needing a new battery sooner. Batteries today should last roughly 5-7 years. You can buy better quality ones that last even longer. I'd suggest Interstate or Optima.

curio 09-05-2008 05:06 PM

2004 FX4 Scab, ~37,000 miles, original owner

No real problems really. Had the rear end clunk a while back, dealer changed the drive shaft under warranty. I can still notice it a bit, but it's not as bad as it used to be.

Thought I had a window regulator going bad, but I think it was just a bad electrical connection at the push button. My window would not roll up every once in a while, so one day I just pushed on the button very hard and it's worked fine ever since.

Other then that, truck has been great. I did replace my brake pads at 20k to carquest blues, changed to a gatorback belt at 15k, replaced battery at 30k, and I had the stealership install new plugs at 30k just to be on the safe side.

momalle1 09-05-2008 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by jjr8214 (Post 3360382)
I used to live on a street that was hilly and I would set the parking brake when parking on the street. The next time I would drive the truck I would get vibration that would start at around 30mph and would progressively get worse. I could feel it in the steering wheel and I could see the windshield wipers shaking. I took it to the dealer two times and they could not duplicate the vibration (the vibration would occur on the way to the dealer and then when I came to a stop it wouldn't do it again until the next time the parking brake was set). Once I realized it may be the parking brake I stopped using it and the vibration never occurred again.

I will probably have it fixed one of these days. I wish I knew how to do it myself because whenever I have the dealer look at it they can't find any problem with the parking brake releasing.

Check this thread, complete with pictures! There is a recent TSB referring to the park brake cables causing the problem, but I'd bet this will cure your issue.

apeiron 09-05-2008 08:20 PM

Originally Posted by MercedesTech (Post 3359362)
First off, I would never let the dealer touch my truck, but thats just me. I do all my own work, so to know how much a PITA they can be and what I needed the truck for... I chose the 4.6.

Also, some people who do allow the crooks... I mean dealership to touch their vehicle, are bringing it in for a routine tune-up. They expect to be paying a few hundred bucks. Then they get a phone calls saying they have broken a sparkplug off in the head, and are going to need $4-5k to fix it. That might be chump change to some, but thats a whole lot of money in my eyes. Thats probably what the "big deal" is.

Wouldn't that be covered under warranty, not to mention the fact that if it was in fords hands and they screwed it up, wouldn't they have to pay?

MercedesTech 09-05-2008 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by apeiron (Post 3362272)
Wouldn't that be covered under warranty, not to mention the fact that if it was in fords hands and they screwed it up, wouldn't they have to pay?

This is where is gets tricky, and really comes down to the dealership. Each one will be different.

Generally, they say the plugs are good til 100k. Ford's warranty does not go that long. (3year/36k normally). Also, spark plugs are considered a normal "wear and tear" item, something not normally covered under a normal warranty (especially with Ford aware of the issue).

That being said, once you do pay for a spark-plug swap, and they break it, some shops will step up to the plate, and either give you a discount, pay for it in full, or let you down and tell you "sorry". I see customer service falling more and more to the curb side, in favor of the " i'm sorry " attitude. In this shop, if we were to break a plug off in the head, we would fix it at no additional cost to the customer. Some shops will tell you before even touching the truck, that this is a known problem, that a broken plug is a possibility, and that you, the customer will have to pay for any further work needed if this happens. Be a smart customer, ask ahead of time "what if" and see what they say. See how well they stand behind their work, and see their willingness to step up when needed. With their fancy lawyers, and small print, they are able to skirt around most things, so make sure it is clear to YOU.

As a side note, Ford has reportedly "remedied" the spark-plug problem once and for all starting with a specific build date in '06. I am not sure which month it started, but they are saying they have fixed it. I guess we will see.

momalle1 09-05-2008 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by apeiron (Post 3362272)

It's not really in Ford's hands, it's in the dealer's hands. The dealership is a private enterprise that has entered a contract to sell and service Ford vehicles and while they have certain obligations, Ford does not control their retail business.

Tbird69 09-06-2008 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by momalle1 (Post 3362458)
It's not really in Ford's hands, it's in the dealer's hands. The dealership is a private enterprise that has entered a contract to sell and service Ford vehicles and while they have certain obligations, Ford does not control their retail business.

Ford has tons of control over the retail end. If the powers that be at Ford HQ determine that a particular dealer isn't providing adequate service to their customers Ford can pull their license to sell Ford vehicles and shut down the dealer.