F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   '04 owners how's your truck holding up? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/286893-04-owners-hows-your-truck-holding-up.html)

Smig150 12-30-2013 01:59 PM

This past year, sunroof lift arm broke, replaced both front rotors and now on Xmas eve OD on transmission goes out. Read about the less than $100 in parts, oil and my sweat fix but tearing a transmission apart and knowing what the heck I'm looking at is beyond my scope so it has a date with a local shop near me next week. Estimates so far $1300 to $2400 for a rebuilt or $5000 new at dealership. I have 122k miles on her and she long due for a tune up which I'm planning for this year even though I have this setback. Hopefully after this she's good to go for another 100K miles. 04 Screw 4X4.

L-Wood 12-31-2013 10:44 AM

I got 202,000 hard work miles on mine. Recall work done on the differential early on. Transmission had a clip break and was repaired at approx. 85,000. Brakes have been redone. New Bilstein rear shocks. Kat shin leather seats at 120,000. Replaced spark plugs at 160,000. (long story involving fire department coming to the house). Just replaced a coil and it took five tries to get the bad one found.

My sixteen year old son is now driving it to finish her off.

Ghostface147 01-21-2014 04:21 PM

188,000 miles on mine. Tranny overhaul at 85,000. Too bad I didn't get the 100k warranty. Engine has detonation issues and it eats oil like crazy. The tranny seems to slip when in 4th gear now.

I've had both the window regulators fail on both sides and a few other cosmetic issues. Would I buy another F-150 again? Most likely.

rfinger 01-21-2014 04:58 PM

I dont know about everyone else but I am second guessing my purchase. I have had the truck for around 8mos and 11k miles and have already had to replace the spark plugs, cats, and now the lashers all with the truck having less than 90k miles. Knowing what I know now I dont know if I would have made that purchase again.

repieces 01-26-2014 08:20 PM

Rebuilt the trans at 72,000 miles. Replaced all plugs and COPs. Replaced three hubs. Replaced timing chain, timing chain guides, cam phasers and alternator at 142,000 miles.

When I took it to the Ford dealer, I told him I'd rather they set it ablaze!!!

I bought it in October 2007 and it had roughly 24,000 miles on it. It now has around 143,000 miles.

CAByellow04 02-14-2014 01:08 AM

Just crossed 170k on mine the other day. I am the second owner of mine and she is holding up great!!

Iowa4x4 02-22-2014 03:44 PM

98,000 miles with mine. I put new shocks, struts, new rotors (front and rear), new pads, one front caliper, left window regulator, fan motor card in last year and did all the work myself.
The next month I will be replacing the rear axle seals, fixing a broken wire for my power mirrors and replacing the pigtails fro the rear ABS sensor and a pigtail on the transfer case.
2 years ago I hand the cam phasers replaced. the AC is leaking and the dealer replaced the schrader valves and it still loses refrigerant.

bogman 02-28-2014 02:37 PM

04 5.4L F-150 is a piece of junk so this is my last Ford. Just had to replace engine at 98,000 miles due to right side burnt/warped valve due to ill starvation. Decided on factory re-man engine with 3 year warranty rather than repair an engine I can have zero more confidence in. I didn't want any of the available used engines with over 100,000 miles in unknown condition. This is the second major engine issue with this engine. First was all lifters and right cam phaser replaced under warranty at 33,000 miles. Now the mechanic also showed me right side cam and cam bearing scoring, in spite of my 4,000 mile oil changes with Motorcraft filters and Mobil 5W-20 oil. He said the right side gets lubrication last ands that is where he has seen problems. Now I have to keep this p.o.s. for a long time until I can afford a Chebby, Toyrotor, or a Sheep truck. Wrote Ford a nasty letter, I guess just to get it off my chest.

rdsii640 03-15-2014 03:57 AM

Mine 2006 has 95000 on the ticker. Other than a rodent chewing my wiring harness at 75K its be all worry free.

ceverettham 03-15-2014 11:00 AM

Ford Fan

I still have my 2004 F-150. It will be 10 years since I bought it next month. It has 68,000 miles and is doing well accept for a few minor problems. I don't use it much so I plan on having it for a while.

bad69cat 03-20-2014 04:24 PM

Well I gotta say my 98 with 287,000 on the clock has been the best one I ever owned. Above typical maintenance on the thing I have replaced 2 alt's, 4 coil packs, one A/C compressor. Right now she's in need of new shocks and another ball joint and some tires. Still has the original exhaust! (I had to drill out the manifold studs after they rotted through). She's getting pretty rusty around the cab corners and the rockers are pretty much gone - but I'm looking forward to hitting 300K this year!! Still purring like a kitten...

69Ed 03-20-2014 10:54 PM

My 04 has 276k miles on it. Its in great shape, and runs like a champ. Its pretty much assigned to snowplow duty now and the kids like to drive it around town. I bought a Raptor 3 years ago and have put a 105,000 on it, so the '04 is no longer a daily driver.

Ed

MerryO 04-06-2014 02:18 AM

207k on my 2004 SCREW Lariat 4x4

Almost done wrapping up major timing parts replacement: phasers, chains, tensioners, guides, VCT solenoids, main sprocket, new belt and idler pulleys, and fuel filter. Also new plugs (yes, original plugs at 207k) and 3 of them broke (thanks Lisle!).

She's been out of commission for nearly two years, until I got the funds for the parts and the time to get to work! I moved her to the driveway back in January to begin working, and put the battery in tonight and she fired back up! I can't remember the engine sounding that smooth. Now I just need to find and fix the coolant leak (may need a new radiator) and she'll be on the road again!

dbhost 05-05-2014 05:36 PM

Purchased pre owned 4/10/06 with 16K on the odometer. I am now staring at 95K and have had to put on 2 sets of brakes, 1 just a pad reline / rotor turning, and the second one was pads and rotors.

Other than that, and your usual maintenance stuff, I have had to...

Transmission was rebuilt at about 32K under warranty.

Ball joints both uppers and lowers were gone by 90K. I could blame it on the leveling kit, but I prefer to blame it on the idiotic engineers that opted to leave out the Grease fittings. I consider it an opportunity to upgrade to Moog Problem Solvers...

Both drivers and passengers front window regulators have failed. Both were replaced under warranty.

At 94K, the transmission started spewing fluid, a LOT of fluid, I was finding it in the bell housing, and thought it was from the pump oil seal, and while there was some weeping from the pump seal, it wasn't much, not enough to account for the fluid loss. Discovered a failed vent line on top of the transmission. Lots of work and down time for such a stupid simple fix...

While it has been anything but trouble free, when you consider that I went from 20K miles to 60K miles in 6 months, and the remaining miles have slowly accumulated slowly over the years. Sitting in a driveway unlubricated for long periods isn't exactly good for rubber products... Some of this is my fault However ball joint, regulators, and tranny failure #1 I pin squarely on Ford for design issues, and a QC flub...

Still much more relaibly than any Chevrolet anyone in the family has ever had...

Y2K OffRoad 05-11-2014 09:01 PM

My 2005 @ 93k

I wish I could say my time with my 2005 was flawless but overall she was a reliable truck from the day I drove her off the lot 9 years ago. It had just rolled 93k miles on the day I traded her in last Thursday.

Over the years...
  • In 2007 a fuel injector stuck open flooding the cylinder and bent at least one rod, trashing the engine. Was in repair for almost 3 weeks. When I got it back with a new short block I took it on a 300 mile road trip hauling a car trailer and lost brakes due to the tech not putting a clip on a vacuum line. Covered under warranty.
  • In 2009, new brakes. Turned front rotors replaced rears.
  • In 2010, replaced fuel door under extended warranty.
  • In 2011, clock spring recall performed.
  • In 2012, replaced failed knock sensor, changed plugs.
  • In 2013, replaced drivers window regulator after window fell into door on a 5 degree night at 55mph.
  • In 2013, replaced blower motor resistor.
  • In 2013, replaced 2 broken front coil springs & shocks. New Cooper LT tires.
  • In 2013, replaced fuel pump control module after being stranded roadside.
  • In 2013, new brakes. New rotors on all wheels. Replaced rusted parking brake levers.
  • In 2014, replaced passenger window regulator after window fell into door on a 20 degree night at 65mph.
  • Replacement needed for worn intermediate steering shaft.
  • Replacement needed for blower motor resistor (again).
  • Issues with erratic fuel level readings.

The amount of stupid things breaking was astonishing. It felt like I was constantly fixing the thing last year.

Grim 06-23-2014 09:41 PM

120k, early build 2004 screw 4x4

-three instrument clusters
-4 window regulators
-front rack and pinion
-driver's side window switch
-ac blower motor
-firewall mod due to massive leakage into floorboard
-hard downshift from overdrive (not fixed)
-god-awful noise from suspension (not fixed, may be 4x4 system)
-cloth is durable, but very stained
-front console pad coming apart
-3rd brake light replaced 4 times to fix leak
-rear windshield removed 2 times to try and fix leak. Still leaking from somewhere.

arogers 06-27-2014 04:35 PM

My '04 Screw FX4 has 196,000 this week. Overall, the thing has been great since I bought it new. I have had the typical maintenance of tires, brakes, shocks, rotors, belts. I got in a bad hail storm four years ago and got new paint, cowlings, mirrors, etc. The torque converter went at 96,000 miles. I have replaced the passenger rear window regulator once. Plugs came out at 160,000 miles (yeah, I missed the 500 topics on this, lol) and ended up with a few broken ones. I have replaced alternator, front hubs, struts, and coil springs due to one shearing off (which was a shocker). I am starting to get evidence of rust on the bottom of the passenger rear cab corner. The interior is in great condition with the fabric wearing thin on the drivers seat where you get in and out. I would like to make it to 300K before the outlay for another one. Overall, its been a great truck.

FX4_ever 06-30-2014 04:40 PM

My 2004 flare side standard cab FX4 has 117K. Both cam phasers and a wheel sensor were replaced under warranty. The notorious "F150 breaking plugs" were replaced at 112K for $350, all of them came out fine. I replaced the Serpentine belt myself last year. Passenger side window regulator broke and was repaired for $300, and a repair on the drivers seat was $65. Thats all. There was a bumping noise in the front end, like something worn or loose. But the 6" RC lift I recently had installed must have corrected the problem. I don't hear the noise anymore. I think I might need brakes soon, the pedal is going halfway down...

06F150Lariat619 07-07-2014 04:05 PM

06 with 110k only changed spark plugs, replaced fuel pump module, and need to fix lower steering shaft.

KMAC0694 07-07-2014 04:54 PM

^ an 06 isn't an 04 :lol:

FX4_ever 07-17-2014 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by KMAC0694 (Post 5095278)
^ an 06 isn't an 04 :lol:

Yep, I just noticed that.

dbhost 07-17-2014 05:29 PM

I am sitting at about 95K, and so far I have...

#1. Replaced upper and lower ball joints at approx 88K.
#2. 2 sets of brakes. OEM brakes stunk. EBC Greenstuff 6000s on OEM rotors. Pads good, rotors warped. Currently on Powerstop drilled / slotted rotors and semi metallic pads. VERY happy with this configuration.
#3. Transmission rebuilt on warranty at 30K.
#4. Major trans leak at 92K, wasn't super sure of the source as the fluid was ending up IN the bellhousing, so I swapped the torque converter, front seal, pump O ring, and found when I had it apart the 90 degree rubber bend in the vent line was crumbling and leaking like a sieve... Oh well. I also took the opportunity to inspect the trans, and install a drain plug in the pan. It is good to go for quite a while.
#5. Both front window regulators and the passengers rear regulator were replaced under warranty.
#6. Regularly scheduled maintenances including all required fluids...
#7. A pillar grab handle replaced at 95K after my fat butt broke it off.

I am presently gearing up to perform the following maintenance / repairs.
Sway Bar End Liniks.
Differential oil change on both ends. T-case is already done.
Flush & bleed brakes.
Flush & fill power steering.
Replace all belts and hoses, flush cooling system, replace with fresh coolant.
Spark plug change.

I have a leather seat conversion scheduled after the mechanical work is done, I will replace the drivers seat foam at that time. Again, big guy, and I tend to wear out seat foam...

White08f150 07-17-2014 08:13 PM

so im new to this sight and I know its not an 04 but I was wanting some opinions. I have an 08 f150 xlt 5.4l that I recently bought dirt cheap. the truck is showroom clean but was previously owned by a man who traveled for a living. the truck had 250k on it when I bout it. It has original motor and trans and has been very well taken care of. I have searched over it many times and cant find any problems so far and everything seems to be tight and in good running order. what kind of life do yall think I will get out of this truck???

TruckGuy24 07-17-2014 08:56 PM

Highway miles are easy... I have 103k on my '04 and drive as much highway as possible

texasJ 07-30-2014 01:29 PM

First post. Just bought 04 XLT Screw V8 4.6 with 161k on the clock. Excellent condition. Looks almost new inside and out. Had a multipoint inspection done by a shop that identified minor leaks of the rear axle seals and dirty brake fluid as the only things. Fixed those immediately.

Recently done right before I bought it:
Spark plugs and wires
Brake pads
Tires
New windshield

What I did right away to it:
Replaced both rear axle seals
Flushed brake fluid
Changed out a reverse light bulb
Popped a dent out of the front fender with my hand by removing the inner liner

What I'm about to do:
Replace the fuel door housing assembly to fix floppy fuel door
Paint the faded exterior black plastic trim
Pay a paintless dent repairman to take out a few small parking lot dings

Besides those things, I want to maximize the life of the truck by doing everything in my power to maintain it, so long as it remains economical over purchasing a new vehicle.

My question would be to those of you with the knowledge and experience, what is the scheduled maintenance past 150k miles? I checked the Ford maintenance schedule and it stops at 150k. That and any other general tips to maximize longevity are much appreciated! :noob: :lol:

NFLD FLARED 281 07-30-2014 03:10 PM

04 XL supercab 4.6 2wd. 86K right now, had her since 79K. fpdm went out not long ago. only real mechanical problem, she was well looked after by the PO. she's useless as a truck but she runs great.

Hawkester 08-06-2014 01:06 PM

'04 Lariat Super Crew 4x4 5.4 3v with 240k and doing great.
Got the truck in '07 with 90k and besides routine maintenance I have replaced the following long list of failed items: (don't count wear items here)

FPDM
Vacuum 4x4 relay (after driving thru water up to the bumpers to pull out a friend in a Toy)
Passenger mirror (my own ignorance)
Both tie-rod ends - really a wear item though

I have 1 very small spot of rust starting to form on the drivers side cab bottom rear corner.

No leaks no other repairs since I have owned it. Awesome truck!

04D6FX-4 08-08-2014 08:03 AM

Well after 155k miles with little problems other than normal window regulators, window switches, and brakes the FX4 was doing pretty good till a month ago while I slept this happened. So far the body shop has tallied up 8500 in repairs and I hope to get it back in a couple days. The other driver and his passenger walked away from this. In the video, my house is in the upper left and you can make out the truck just barely. The other car comes from the upper right of the screen.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...88923953_n.mp4

David

Bluejay 08-08-2014 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by 04D6FX-4 (Post 5101167)
Well after 155k miles with little problems other than normal window regulators, window switches, and brakes the FX4 was doing pretty good till a month ago while I slept this happened. So far the body shop has tallied up 8500 in repairs and I hope to get it back in a couple days. The other driver and his passenger walked away from this. In the video, my house is in the upper left and you can make out the truck just barely. The other car comes from the upper right of the screen.

http://i187.photobucket.com/albums/x...88923953_n.mp4

David

That's a shame! Hope they fix it correctly.

EdBurns 08-11-2014 01:24 AM

I have a 2004 FX4. I love it. It's had the usual wear and tear issues like rust spots, Light bulbs, brakes, fuel driver module, and hitch harness that needed fixed, or replaced. It also had a deer t-bone it, but it's still going strong with over 140K miles on it. The only thing that irritates me is the 5.4L knock, but that's the common problem I've been hearing about with that Triton engine. other than that, I have no issues with it, and I'm totally satisfied with it.

Hawkester 08-16-2014 02:12 PM

...Okay, now I can add two front brake calipers to the list...and I just rolled 242K after hauling my daughters Ranger to collage on a transport trailer.

sddave 08-30-2014 08:56 PM

I have a 2004 Lariat, my first and probably last.
at 94,000, the Transmission died.
At 154,000, the engine died and had to be replaced.
The reverse sensing system died a long time ago.
The power driver's seat and peddles also died years ago.
The driver's power window motor crapped out in '07.
The Speedometer stopped working a couple of years ago too.

I've checked fuses and they're all fine. And I've always been a very conservative driver, since I'm poor and don't want to blow money on gas or risk ruining another engine!!

ziggaboo 10-02-2014 08:38 AM

183k on my supercrew XLT. cam phasers done under warranty... and window motor on the driver's side a few years ago. other than that just normal wear and tear items on mine. just did plugs for the 2nd time and replaced idler pulley. i have had a couple issues with misfiring due to coils/connectors but overall been a wonderful truck. mobil 1 from the get-go every 5k, and trans filters every 75k. still runs like a champ.

KELLY-K 10-14-2014 09:54 AM

Amsoil and 91,000 miles

FX4real 10-14-2014 07:39 PM

2004 FX4
got 152,000 on it and it still runs good.
bearings up front have been replaced along with struts on both sides, shocks in the rear. alternator and battery replaced. overdrive snap ring issue resolved, rear axle seal driver side, replaced plugs with tune up at about 125K, regular brakes and fluid changes. been meaning to fix the 4 wheel vacuum lines as they broke apart god knows when. maybe i'll do it when i throw on the toyo rt's on 20" fuel couplers. just did the level kit and tires/rims are on their way. then i'll worry about the valve tap that makes her sound like a diesel in the morning.
all done in the driveway. know your vehicle it'll last longer.

kjr6306 10-16-2014 11:08 PM

Biggest POS I have EVER owned....2004 Lariat with 75,000 miles. I've lost track of all the stuff I've had to replace. Here's just a sample:

Front Diff Leaking Seal
Rear Axle seal
Rear ABS sensor
Fuel module
Both front springs broken
Both end links
Both front brake calipers frozen
Rear E brake pads
Power Steering hose
Vacuum module that controls the 4 wheel drive
Drivers window motor

Currently the truck has an exhaust manifold leak that I am sure is broken manifold bolts. The truck sounds like a diesel when it starts due to the cam synchro issue and the ABS / E brake light have been on for several years due to water getting in to the ABS module and corroding several of the pins beyond repair. All of the heat shields have fallen off the underside of the truck due to crap fasteners.

I do not use this truck for any heavy duty work and it has never plowed snow or been off road. Thank you Ford for putting together a quality product. I make sure I tell every person I can about the problems I've had in the effort to prevent any one from making the same mistake I made when I purchased this truck. Oh I almost forgot....the rear sliding window leaks and when its cold the HVAC system makes an unexplainable squeal when driving. GOOD Times!!!

kjr6306 10-16-2014 11:17 PM

Oh I forgot the steering U joint was also changed a few years back......

04F150Broke 11-17-2014 09:34 PM

2004 f150 bog problems,

My 2004 has 85,500 on it. I have changed the fuel filter, spark plugs, coil packs, air filter, has rebuilt trans with shift kit, cam phasers, vct solanoids, cam sensors, cam sensor wire pig tails, long tube header kit, high flow cats. service on it recently. Between 3000 and 3500 RPM's (roughly that range) the engine bogs at wot. It does it in every gear. If you go from a dead stop at wot, it spins the tires and accelerates until it hits about 3000, then acts like it isn't getting fuel, bogs, sounds terrible. If I go to pass someone, it does the same thing in that rpm range. It does it in every gear and does it 100% of the time. I just purchased a SCT tuner with custom tunes made for my truck, but even when i return to stock, it always acts the same.

I have spent way too much money on this truck already so anything will help me at this point. I'm tired of working on it..

I am out of ideas.. PLEASE HELP, dealer does not know what to tell me.... :(

usmcmead 11-23-2014 08:34 PM

04 XLT 5.4 supercrew new body style. Got it in 07 with around 65000 miles. Now it has 123,000 and the only problems that I have had so far is transmission going bad a couple thousand miles ago and window regulators. I just bought a edge evolution programmer and k&n cai. I hope to do more but we will see. I love my truck and maybe in 5 or 6 years I will upgrade to a newer f150 when I get the money.

jb55 12-19-2014 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by usmcmead (Post 5119589)
04 XLT 5.4 supercrew new body style. Got it in 07 with around 65000 miles. Now it has 123,000 and the only problems that I have had so far is transmission going bad a couple thousand miles ago and window regulators. I just bought a edge evolution programmer and k&n cai. I hope to do more but we will see. I love my truck and maybe in 5 or 6 years I will upgrade to a newer f150 when I get the money.

I did 2 years in good ol' Beaufort