F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   '04 owners how's your truck holding up? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/286893-04-owners-hows-your-truck-holding-up.html)

TysonsLariat 12-14-2010 09:18 AM

1) Bad brake light sensor - could not get out of park - could've used overide - warranty

2) Parking brake sticks - the vibe - warranty - fixed myself

3) Drivers window mechanism broken - fixed myself

4) Heater gate stuck/buzzes - not fixed

5) Sporadic issues with steering wheel radio controls - not fixed

6) Sporadic issues with power steering/hard steering - fluid flush seemed to help

7) Sporadic issues with sliding center window - seems okay now

8) Cam Phaser - $900

9) LS Differential shudder - not fixed

10) Various shifting/misfire issues - probably needs a new flash for the PCM

11) Needs battery - To be expected after 6 years

All in all I'd say average to below average in reliability.

chazf150 12-15-2010 01:30 AM

I`ve had my truck since 04 -9000 miles . Now 164000. I work my truck hard for work and play( tow a 22" travel trailer).

Frnt brakes replaced 3 times
Rotors twice
RR brakes and rotors once
Uppers and lowers once. (Due for another change now).The price I pay for
my lift.
Steering rack
Battery
RR axle seal
Alternator
Replace 1 front brake line
2 links

Tune up at 116000

Cam Phasers only one side at 135000

Window motor on driver side out for about 5 month now

I`m getting good use of my truck !

jhodge90 12-15-2010 08:41 AM

My father-in-law has a 2004 F150XL with 95,000 miles on it. Basic maintenance and brakes, but not one major issue at all. Been the best F150 he has ever owned(maybe his 8th F150).

raggidy tom 12-15-2010 07:40 PM

I've had my 04 f150XLT for 2 years now. Bought it from the original owner who owned the dealership so i'm guessing he took really good care of it. Bought it with 19,000 miles and just rolled over 40,000. So far, the truck has ran great. Besides changing oil, rotating tires, and replacing the battery once no major work has been performed. I average about 17.6 mpg. Hauled a 20 ft. trailer full of books from SC to IL without a problem. Now that I've recently hit 40 k miles w/o any problems it's time to start the mods :).....

1969Mach 12-18-2010 10:23 PM

Wow - quite the range of posts here.

My 04 is just about to the 93K mark, and I have had NO major issues, and very few minor issues that are common to the model year like intermittent power rear window operation, cold weather high pitch at 1800rpm, and the original factory gasket in the 3rd brake light leaked when it rained until I changed it.

I have NOT changed my spark plugs yet, so I may be back in the spring to complain about that, but my truck is solid and not much different than when I bought in new in May of 2004.

As far as I'm concerned, the 04-05 are the best looking trucks ever made, and the new front ends and rice grinding tail lights on the latest version look terrible. I don't think I'll ever buy another new light duty truck again as this one does everything I need it to do, and it still runs great.

This truck is always garaged with a 2 month exception, and it's not my daily driver (I have an 08 F-350 V-10 for work), so that may be why it's been close to flawless. Oil is changed every 3-4K, and fuel filter every 15K. I only use it for long trips, pulling the boat, hauling firewood, and on the weekends for whatever I'm doing.

This truck will remain a one-owner truck for a very long time.

sargeek1975 12-20-2010 01:59 PM

2004 5.4L FX4 Supercab

Bought it used with 24k on it back in 06 or 07 (my memory sucks). I've been on the beach, in horrible snow, and she hasn't missed a beat. Only thing I've replaced is the battery.

I'm extremely tough on vehicles of any sort, and for the most part she's been fine. She's always had the 50mph dead spot-tranny issue; and over the last couple months it's been getting progressively worse. Beginning to think I may have to replace it; but that's another thread.

She's got 84k on her now, and I just ordered brand new tires.

Couldn't have asked for a better truck...........

DerkaDerka 12-20-2010 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1969Mach (Post 4430821)
Wow - quite the range of posts here.

My 04 is just about to the 93K mark, and I have had NO major issues, and very few minor issues that are common to the model year like intermittent power rear window operation, cold weather high pitch at 1800rpm, and the original factory gasket in the 3rd brake light leaked when it rained until I changed it.

I have NOT changed my spark plugs yet, so I may be back in the spring to complain about that, but my truck is solid and not much different than when I bought in new in May of 2004.

As far as I'm concerned, the 04-05 are the best looking trucks ever made, and the new front ends and rice grinding tail lights on the latest version look terrible. I don't think I'll ever buy another new light duty truck again as this one does everything I need it to do, and it still runs great.

This truck is always garaged with a 2 month exception, and it's not my daily driver (I have an 08 F-350 V-10 for work), so that may be why it's been close to flawless. Oil is changed every 3-4K, and fuel filter every 15K. I only use it for long trips, pulling the boat, hauling firewood, and on the weekends for whatever I'm doing.

This truck will remain a one-owner truck for a very long time.

I haven't changed my spark plugs yet either so that will probably be a future project for me as well. I also agree with you about the 04's-05's being the best looking F-150 that has been in production. There's just something about the new trucks that I do not like, but I would still take a newer model F-150 over any other truck currently on the market.

mjb1032 12-20-2010 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by sargeek1975 (Post 4432380)
2004 5.4L FX4 Supercab

She's got 84k on her now, and I just ordered brand new tires.

Couldn't have asked for a better truck...........

Sargeek,
My 04's Scab XLT has 86K, I just had Michelin LTX M/S2's put on three weeks ago (265/70/17)......I love 'em, they're very quiet, and have an unbelievable ride. It rides like they turned the odometer back 80K.
What did you order for tires?

sargeek1975 12-21-2010 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by mjb1032 (Post 4432602)
Sargeek,
My 04's Scab XLT has 86K, I just had Michelin LTX M/S2's put on three weeks ago (265/70/17)......I love 'em, they're very quiet, and have an unbelievable ride. It rides like they turned the odometer back 80K.
What did you order for tires?

The OEM's, Rugged Trail T/A's.

I'm wayyyy too used to them to wanna change to something else. For the shape they're in after 50k miles of me beating the piss out of them (snow covered parking lot burn outs included), I'm sticking with 'em!

Jakers76 12-22-2010 04:46 PM

glad ya all are have in good luck with yer trucks at higher millage!!! my alaska yeller truck has been great other than haven drivers door power button replaced in 08,,had an issue with cruz controle but it fixed its self still stron @ 48,xxxmiles on her,,them fords do make a whistle noise when its below 0 out,,have driven mine @ -55 below,,the outside temp only goes to -40,,,and still rungs strong!! but keep her parked most of the time due to gas prices here in AK @ $3.55 a gal ($85+ to fill)
and keepin milage low n keep her nice for a long time to come!!!!

sargeek1975 12-22-2010 04:49 PM

I feel your pain; costs me about 95 bones here to fill mine when she's on empty......:(

Jakers76 12-22-2010 05:14 PM

yea ouch!!!! my 96' exploder takes $65+ on empty,,thank god fer the rice burners to save sum gas! lol

unclebubba73 12-26-2010 02:17 PM

04 4X4 Lariat Screw.
I bought it in '06 with 59000 miles. It now has 182000 miles and is running just as strong as the day I got it!
Other than brakes and oil, I did have to replace the ball joints at 100K. And had to rebuild the rear end at 150K. I think that is too soon for both of those items. I also had to replace a speed sensor in the rear end, and a solenoid for the 4WD. I use the motorcraft syntetic blend oil, and full synthetic in the diffs and tranny. Changing the fluid when the owners manual says to, and I figure this truck will outlast any of my previous trucks.

I was a Chevy guy my whole life. Have had 4 Chevys before this truck, all lasted 150K - 200K. This Truck has been such a good truck that when the Engine or tranny does finnally go, I will probably just rebuild and keep going to 300K and beyond! This truck has changed me to a Ford guy.

Texas04F150 12-26-2010 07:12 PM

Hello I have a 2wd screw with 40k miles It is a great truck the only issues I have had are the pasanger window fell down while driving luckily it didnt break. Also it seems to idle a lil rough to me does anybody else have that issue the only thing I pull is my bay boat wich is only 19ft so its not that heavy.Other then that its an awesome truck its a 5.4 btw.

arised 12-28-2010 01:27 AM

I have 151,000 miles on my 04 f150 spent every winter up here in canada at -35 to -40*c at least 2 - 3 weeks out of the winter and its great. It pushes 35"s all winter and 37x13.5"s all summer on 9" of lift. Tow trailers and hauls whatever i need. I for one have never regretted signing any of the papers. Its out lived buddies diesels and other half tons and I drove it like a 20 yr old... well thats cause I was 20 when I bought it. Its been jumped and raced and rallied and other than obvious wearing parts (tie rods, seals, plugs, general maintanence stuff) its been flawless. I could have never asked for a better truck.

mjb1032 12-28-2010 06:34 AM

Arised, Someone should forward your post to Ford.
It's a great buying incentive!
I wonder if Ford has a blog-reading person?

DaddioSTL 12-28-2010 12:10 PM

2004 4.6 2wd scab

I bought my '04 XLT Scab brand new from the dealer. I now have 73K on it with no major problems! I am averaging 16-17 MPG. I did have the driver side window fall (like so many onthers have). Replaced all 4 brakes (was able to turn rotors) at 45K, and I just recently replaced the original battery. It is time for tires now - still have the original Michelins on her. There are a couple of things that I've noticed recently that I hope aren't signs of something big:

1) High pitch noise that gets louder as the RPMs go up. This only happens when it REALLY cold?

2) When I first start the truck the needle on the gas gauge shakes at the E position for 3-5 seconds before moving to the correct position. Almost like it's stuck or something is holding it in place. This seems to happen regardless of how much gas I have in the tank.

I love this truck but I really wish I would have gotten the 4wd. I have my eye on the Raptor :bows: BUT - that won't happen for a couple more years :(

EDIT: Should have searched the forums before whining about the high pitch noise :)

MeanGene 12-29-2010 03:58 PM

Just turned 100,000 and the engine runs good, has been pinging at WOT, but I think it must be some bad gas.

Engine is the cleanest, I have ever had in any vehicle, the only sign that it has every been started is some dust blown on to the front of the engine through wind/fan.

3rd brake light leaked and replace unit with new one with thicker gasket.

Had the windows modules fail, most fixed under extended warranty.

Replaced AC pump due to noisy operation, but it never failed, also done under extended warranty.

Recently had the engine oil and transmission fluid checked by Blackstone Laboratories and results showed normal wear, transmission showed a little higher lead content than normal, but I had just pulled a 6,000 LB trailer 2000 miles. Higher lead content is a sign of some clutch wear, but would be normal under the circumstances.

So far, so good.

camopaint0707 01-02-2011 10:18 PM

guys I'm looking at a 2004 Ford F150 FX4 with 214911 miles on it for $7500. Do you think its worth getting?

Svets96 01-02-2011 10:54 PM

It would all depend on what it looks like from the inside out. Does it have any rust? How are the suspension pieces good or worn out probably replaced once already. Engine run good? any pinging? whistle noises? Look at all the gaskets, intake, exhaust, manifold, rearend leaking/have a bad whine? Fluids changed and checked? Look at front rad support for excessive rusting. Is this truck from a dealership or private owner? If private see if they have all or any records for your viewing. Plugs changed? Check rear sliding window seal leaking? Has it been greased? Butle pad removed? Belts and hoses? Then from this you should have a better idea of if its a good deal or not. :thumbsup:

camopaint0707 01-03-2011 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Svets96 (Post 4445620)
It would all depend on what it looks like from the inside out. Does it have any rust? How are the suspension pieces good or worn out probably replaced once already. Engine run good? any pinging? whistle noises? Look at all the gaskets, intake, exhaust, manifold, rearend leaking/have a bad whine? Fluids changed and checked? Look at front rad support for excessive rusting. Is this truck from a dealership or private owner? If private see if they have all or any records for your viewing. Plugs changed? Check rear sliding window seal leaking? Has it been greased? Butle pad removed? Belts and hoses? Then from this you should have a better idea of if its a good deal or not. :thumbsup:

wow thank you for a very helpful answer. I am going to test drive it monday and I'll be sure to check all those things. What is the butle pad?? and I read about the spark plugs breaking off, the window motor going out, and something about the rear end with the diff. But from what I saw on the outside, it was super clean. No scratches or dings, no rust not even underneath it.

Svets96 01-03-2011 01:21 PM

No problemo. :) The issues you have stated are also some problems you might want to check out. On this site there are specific threads about the plug issue and a write up on how to change the regulator as well. The butle pad is from what I recall collects dirt or salt and rots out one of the panels on the truck???? Someone will chime in about this too. I'm pretty sure that there is a thread on this. No rust on the truck is a good thing especially underneath. Seems like you might have a well kept winner. :thumbsup:

FORDRED04FX4 01-04-2011 11:46 AM

hey guys Im going to sell my truck "Clifford" its a O4 FX4 super crew all of extra stuff was put on in spring of 09 brought used in 07 with 37500 miles it now has under 50000 it has never been off roading or seen any salt or snow since i put the stuff on Hopping to get around 30grand for it i know thats high but would take offers for it not in any hurry to sell it just want go back to one suv

MTM Ford 01-04-2011 10:20 PM

No offense but 30grand is a bit high for an 04.

nathan3306 01-04-2011 10:43 PM

So far so good. Cannot complain at all about the truck. I have an 04 supercrew 4X4 lariat. I have most of the bells and whistels. Only had to replace the sway bar tie rod end things. I don't know their name but that's the best I can explain it. It's the family rig that pulls and haul just about anything we need. Just changed the tranny fluid for the first time/ dropped the pan/ after 77K miles. Shifts and drives better now. Other than basic maintenance and tlc I don't think I could as for a better truck. I used to keep vehicles for a year and then trade them in but I think ill keep this one until it falls apart. I love my truck!

jmb3675 01-07-2011 08:22 AM

My 2004

Mine has a new rear end, transfer case, drive shaft, both rear axle seals, a new coil, new idler pulleys, right front hub assembly, heater fan and new cam phazers. all were done before it had 60k miles. After having it a month the front brakes had a loud squeal that the dealer said they couldn't do anything about. That went away when the pads and rotors were completely shot at just under 35k miles. The lcd for the odometer had what looked like an ink spot for about 9 months but it went away on its own.

currently it has an occasional chirping sound and squeal coming from a new accessory belt, especially when damp or cold. The cooling fan clutch kicks in and out constantly till warm, it jerks when taking off after a rolling stop (such as almost stopping at a light and it turns green at the last second). One time it was so bad I thought I got rear ended. And sometimes it feels like the transmission is slipping getting on the freeway. The fluid was flushed at 30k and 60k miles. Sometimes it shakes like a diesel and always sounds like one, although not as bad as it did before the cam phazer change. Sometimes the gas gauge gets stuck at 1/4 tank. Lately it takes a few hours for it to register a full tank after filling up every time.But 2 dealers can't find anything wrong with it. And the accessory belt will not make a sound when they have it.

It used to average 20mpg now it averages 14-15mpg. It's about 16mpg after an oil change with synthetic blend. And down to 13 after 3k miles.
And it just turned 77k miles yesterday.

camopaint0707 01-10-2011 11:49 PM

Well I'm getting a 2004 FX4 on wednesday. Pretty pumped

LUKEFX4 01-11-2011 01:11 AM

love my 04 fx4.. it has 140,000 and ill be getting it lifted ( 8 inch bds lift w/leaf springs and dual steering stabilizers.. with some 37s and 20s.. getting some cooper STTs wednesday to hold me over until i buy my new rims and tires and save for regearing

upnorth2004FX4 01-17-2011 12:25 AM

04 FX4 , 167,000 miles

Well until yesterday my 04 FX4 with 167,000+ miles had never let me down. In fact it had never seen the service department of a ford dealer.

Only item ever replaced was the small stock battery and that was in 2006.

Front brakes replaced at 65k and 101k and again at 141k.
Back brakes at 124k

Oil change , aprox 7k mile. Motorcraft synthetic blend

Unfortunetly now it just died...probable PCM probems. I have to break down and bring it in to have it diagnosed.
Its a sad day!

LUKEFX4 01-17-2011 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by upnorth2004FX4 (Post 4462622)
Well until yesterday my 04 FX4 with 167,000+ miles had never let me down. In fact it had never seen the service department of a ford dealer.

Only item ever replaced was the small stock battery and that was in 2006.

Front brakes replaced at 65k and 101k and again at 141k.
Back brakes at 124k

Oil change , aprox 7k mile. Motorcraft synthetic blend

Unfortunetly now it just died...probable PCM probems. I have to break down and bring it in to have it diagnosed.
Its a sad day!

keep us updated.. would like to know what possible problems to not look forward to lol

Svets96 01-17-2011 05:20 PM

Ouch! keep us updated asap.

camopaint0707 01-19-2011 09:37 PM

So you guys know how on the rear taillights of this generation there is a red spot under the reverse lights but no bulb? How stupid is that design? I decided to put a bulb in there and wire it up.

upnorth2004FX4 01-21-2011 01:08 AM

2004 FX4 Back on the road

Well my FX4 is back on the road.

Seems the air Conditioner Hose above the #3 & #4 COP rubbed through injector wire and shorted out the PCM.

Repaired COP wires and added some foam to air condiioner hose and had the PCM reflashed and it starts fine. $75 Reflash cost

Now that was yesterday....Drove 5 miles this morning before I blew the fuse for PCM & Fuel Pump Driver Module. Replaced Fuse and it blew instantly. We lowered the spare and replaced the Fuel pump Driver module and found it broken into 2 p ieces. Works now $103.

Had to make a 360 mile round trip pulling a car hauler. Well made it back all with no problems. Shut off at 6pm. Went out to go to Walmart and got a Check Engine code P1233 error (Fuel Pump DVR Mod Disabled/Offline.

Cleared code and reset inertia fuel shutoff....and rstarts and runs fine now...

Hopefully this is it...They say everything happens in 3's

This is the FIRST repair needed other than maintenance on over 168k

Well drove

MUD DIGGER 01-21-2011 02:56 AM

mine in running good replaced a few parts here and there bought it with 74k now has 105k

stevie b 01-22-2011 10:33 AM

im not to impressed with mine, havent done alot of work yet. fixed cruise control and 600 bucks worth of spark plugs... the list of noises is longer than i want though. thumps in the rear end and ticks and knocks in the engine. now its using 4 qts of oil over 3k miles and i noticed smoke when i got on the gas the other day. so all in all i would say not holding up too well. especially when you consider the truck i replaced is still running fine a year later..

pejjlee 01-25-2011 12:08 AM

How many mile you got on your F150. I just brought one with 136,000. Hope to learn more from this forum to take good care of my F150.

abnpacrat 01-26-2011 01:04 PM

My 04 Screw Fx4 just went over 68,000. Other than replacing the #3 sparkplug a few times, I haven't had any major issues (knocking on wodd).

monkeychub 01-31-2011 11:24 PM

Hey all, first post EVER :) My 04 F150 Lariat 5.4L is at 127,500 miles on original engine, and transmission, just have replaced spark plugs, ignition coil boots, fuel filter, cleaned throttle body, and clean my K&N air intake religiously. Only have one problem I can't pinpoint yet... I get the CEL after rain and the the engine dies when coming to a rolling stop sometimes... could be water getting on my wires from my PCM to the ignition coils on cylinder 1 and 6 or fuel injector problem. anyone gots ideas? pulling P0351 and P0356 codes. (It is NOT the ignition coils or spark plugs i've replaced them twice now and have used the dielectric grease. Thanks all :)

McStrokey 02-09-2011 02:58 PM

Well im new to this forum but i have an 04 with 245K Only repairs so far are rebuilt trans and all new front end suspension.. now i got a problem with 4x4 but imma post a thread about it :D other than that only have a lifter knock which is nothing to worry about. I put my girl thru everything and she plows thru it all even with the mileage. FORD FTW :)

risupercrewman 02-09-2011 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by McStrokey (Post 4491780)
Well im new to this forum but i have an 04 with 245K Only repairs so far are rebuilt trans and all new front end suspension.. now i got a problem with 4x4 but imma post a thread about it :D other than that only have a lifter knock which is nothing to worry about. I put my girl thru everything and she plows thru it all even with the mileage. FORD FTW :)

What engine is in your rig?.....:confused: