2004 - 2008 F-150

'04 owners how's your truck holding up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 08:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No more 2004

My 2004 5.4L V8 had 176,000 on it when I decided to get a new one. The A/C was not cold anymore and I had @ $1,000 of troubles in the first 3 months of 2019. I didn’t know what was next to fix and I had some down payment money for a new one. I loved my 04 and that prompted me to look towards another F150. I did research for 3-4 months on the new 2.7L and 3.5L V6 twin turbos. I haul kids to school, tow a smoker and get an occasional load from the home improvement stores so I don’t do much. After my research, test driving, car lot pursuing I decided on a 2019 2.7L XL w/ STX package eco boost. I’ve had it for 2 weeks and couldn’t be happier. The F150 is the most practical, well designed truck out there. I’m happy to say i’ll get to stay on the F150 forum but will have to head to a different thread. If you have the truck knowledge to keep your 04s running go for it. I have the maintenance knowledge of a broom when it comes to vehicles. I’m getting 21.5mpg through back roads to work. I have yet to tow my smoker but shouldn’t have a problem as it is only 1,800 pounds. This isn’t the best picture of my new one

but I snapped a quick one for my brother-in-law when I got it home. Here is my last picture of my 04 too.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:48 PM
Bought my FX4 new in 2005. I haven't had to spend a lot on it. Replacing the plugs and upgrading shocks/struts has been the most expensive thing I've done. I only have a little over 100k miles on it currently.
I will say my AC never has worked right. Will not cool unless the truck gets moving. Had both driver and passenger window regulators die. Sunroof parts failed due to UV wreaking havoc on the plastic parts. I've got the replacement parts for the sunroof, but to properly get at everything you have to pull the headliner and I just don't want to mess with that. I can't say I would buy a new one simply because the prices are insane. I think to get something similarly equipped to what I have it's around 1.5 times more than what I paid.

Old 10-29-2019, 12:13 AM
My 2004 FX4 was the slowest ripening lemon, so it didn't hold up well at all. Had 11 miles on it from the lot. I spent all the money to fix it as it broke, and now it is tight. Bought May 2004. Will not be buying a Ford again however.

April 2007- 35.9K Had rear end rebuilt. Dealer kept the truck for a week. Felt like the truck was in 4 wheel drive all the time while turning on pavement. LS failed. (Note: This is the ONLY repair under crappy warranty.
Sept. 2010-77.6K Transmission failed. Not sure how ford can explain this after doing 30&60K fluid changes. (Note: Tranny failed while tech was road testing after an alignment after new lower ball joints installed. Never towed ANYTHING with my truck. NOT.ONE.THING. THIS is the point I should have TOWED this thing over to Toyota and got into something new.
Aug.2014- 107.1K Engine failed. Being I made a bad decision when the tranny went, why not another bad decision and throw a reman long block at it. (Note: I knew it was a matter of time due to the notorious cam phaser ticking. After E-searching the success vs failure of the timing repair plus the spark plug issue I opted for letting it fail.

Along the way I've replaced numerous window regulators. The window just falls into the door while driving. Lovely.
I also did the shift cable before engine failure. Thing wouldn't shift into gear.
Since I'm ALL IN on this lemon, I fixed the IWE's, solenoid, front wheel bearings, gas tank door, sway bar bushings(urethane) and new end links.
Had the oil filter adapter fail while on vacation in Montana. I know those idiots re-used the factory piece on my reman install. They repaired a minor leak on this part under warranty shortly after reman install.
I just did the 3rd set of lower ball joints, and at the time did the uppers for the 1st time along with inner and outer tie rods. New KYB loaded struts with leveling along with rear bilsteins.
Had passenger side e-brake friction material come apart and cause all manner clicking and clanking and squealing. Replaced drive shaft when I realized the u-joints were staked in chasing this squeak and squeal and clank. New e-brake shoes and rear service pads at the time of this solved this drivetrain nightmare of noise.

Got to give this thing some credit here now, I was on vacation in Minnesota and got caught in a blizzard and had an accident on I-94 outside of Fergus Falls. Went across the median after losing the rear traction and hit the backside of a barrier post square on the front bumper. LOL thank heavens the 4 wheel drive worked because I drove away at a slow speed, stopped, inspected the damage, and continued to drive with a v shaped bumper for a little over a year. This is the only wreck this truck was in and the only damage was the bumper with a small tear in the plastic above the bumper. Came close to the tranny oil cooler but it made it. No airbag deployed thank the Lord or I would have been screwed out of state hundreds of miles from home. Had all that repaired at a body shop and put in new head and fog lights at the time. This wreck was LONG AFTER all the hard part failures I've experienced, late 2017, body shop repairs late 2018.

I just went through all the coils chasing a small rough idle. I was surprised that the boots and springs were in great shape, as I was convinced the idiots installing the reman reused my factory stuff. Had a little green crust on a couple of the coil blades. Cleaned every coil blade with foam battery cleaner, put some electric grease on each one. Cleaned the throttle body, it needed it. Sprayed MAF sensor with MAF cleaner. Engine runs well save for the noisy *** fuel injectors, which to a layman it sounds terrible.

All in all now the truck is tight, everything works, handles great with new front suspension parts

Last edited by Trent Badon; 11-03-2019 at 03:13 AM.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bought my 2007 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 in 2015 with 112,000 miles on it. At 140k I did the phasers, timing chain, plugs and new coils. It runs great wiht no problems, I call it the Jolly green Giant. I really love this truck!

Old 02-20-2020, 01:57 PM
04 4.6 single cab mine has 175,000 miles it has had the transmission rebuilt once and had to pull it again for a busted sun gear. Had to replace the front hubs and CAD's due to bad vacuum check valves. the bed supports are rusted out, the other day I found a small hole starting to rust in the frame Steering shaft replaced, shift cable burnt into due to tight clearance against header. one Bolt fell out of the Ring gear in the rear differential putting a hole in the diff cover found 4 others backing out but hadn't fell out yet. The front coil springs broke at the bottom, fuel pump driver module burnt up leaving me stranded. Starter and alternator have been replaced, Engine uses about 1 quart every 5k miles was up to 3 quarts but after changing PCV valve it went back to its usual 1 quart usage. I have had 3 spark plugs blow out of the head. instrument cluster has a short causing the park brake light to illuminate. I have has this truck since 2007 with 18,000 miles on it

Old 09-07-2020, 08:55 PM
04 fx4

Old 09-26-2020, 05:03 PM
2004 F150 ​​​​​​​Has less power than my 90hp VW diesel!

2004 F150 = Fix-Or-Repair-Daily

The worst vehicle I've ever owned -
But the FX4 has so many cool features! Too bad I like it so much or I'd do the smart thing and unload it on some other idiot but I guess I'm going to replace the timing chain & oil pump to hopefully make it run right...

Old 01-12-2021, 09:20 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Jays04
My 2004 5.4L V8 had 176,000 on it when I decided to get a new one. The A/C was not cold anymore and I had @ $1,000 of troubles in the first 3 months of 2019. I didn’t know what was next to fix and I had some down payment money for a new one. I loved my 04 and that prompted me to look towards another F150. I did research for 3-4 months on the new 2.7L and 3.5L V6 twin turbos. I haul kids to school, tow a smoker and get an occasional load from the home improvement stores so I don’t do much. After my research, test driving, car lot pursuing I decided on a 2019 2.7L XL w/ STX package eco boost. I’ve had it for 2 weeks and couldn’t be happier. The F150 is the most practical, well designed truck out there. I’m happy to say i’ll get to stay on the F150 forum but will have to head to a different thread. If you have the truck knowledge to keep your 04s running go for it. I have the maintenance knowledge of a broom when it comes to vehicles. I’m getting 21.5mpg through back roads to work. I have yet to tow my smoker but shouldn’t have a problem as it is only 1,800 pounds. This isn’t the best picture of my new one

but I snapped a quick one for my brother-in-law when I got it home. Here is my last picture of my 04 too.
I just traded my '06 for an 2018 STX 4x4 with the 2.7 ecoboost the other night.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-18-2021, 07:18 PM
My 04 STX still goes down the road, has 110k miles on it. I had the transmission go out on it last year though and ever since i've had problems with it. Before then I hadn't had any major issues.

I do have some sensor problems though the e-brake light comes on and off on the dash depending on the temp outside, it's off of course but the light comes on anyway. And i somedays have a passenger airbag warning light on too. The gas cap door is lose now the ribber bit that held that closed has broken with age and the gas cap itself is no longer physically connected to the truck, that plastic hanger bit that held it there when filling up is busted. So... a few little things here and there but nothing major, at least not until the tranny went out.

I'm eyeing a 2021 Ranger at the moment, i think it's time to say goodbye to this ol'truck. It's served me well, can't complain.

Old 03-19-2021, 06:34 PM
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I'm actually waiting for the Maverick.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:33 PM
'04 xlt heritage 4.2 manual.

Not even 75k miles yet. But ac clutch just magically disappeared after my ac electrical got fried when jumping someone else's vehicle. Have hauled Way more than supposed to with this light truck, no brake controller, haul my 2005 Thor travel trailer (not on bumper ball) over 5500 pounds, with only issue being "pushed" as I crest hills. Hit 90 plus with fully loaded 6.5' bed, had to make sudden aggressive lane shifts and barely got a squeal from tires. Got a bit of a disappearing engine oil truck going on right now, assuming it's hitting the exhaust and going"poof".
for a free vehicle(not really, I had to put up with a 65 year old alcoholic who thought it would be awesome to adopt an African American 1 year old ((and what state agency thought it would be a great idea too???)) California!!!
Lost my train of thought... Laters

Old 06-24-2021, 08:34 PM
'04 xlt heritage 4.2 manual.

Not even 75k miles yet. But ac clutch just magically disappeared after my ac electrical got fried when jumping someone else's vehicle. Have hauled Way more than supposed to with this light truck, no brake controller, haul my 2005 Thor travel trailer (not on bumper ball) over 5500 pounds, with only issue being "pushed" as I crest hills. Hit 90 plus with fully loaded 6.5' bed, had to make sudden aggressive lane shifts and barely got a squeal from tires. Got a bit of a disappearing engine oil trick going on right now, assuming it's hitting the exhaust and going"poof".
for a free vehicle(not really, I had to put up with a 65 year old alcoholic who thought it would be awesome to adopt an African American 1 year old ((and what state agency thought it would be a great idea too???)) California!!!
Lost my train of thought... Laters

Old 03-06-2022, 08:57 AM
I've owned my 04 3 years. I must say, I wasn't aware of all the issues that plague some 04 trucks. I had heard stories about the 3 valve engine's cam phasers and the ridiculous spark plug design. My truck had 186k miles on it and a lit check engine light when I bought it. Truck had spent its life within 75 miles of where it was purchased, so no rust issues. The paint looked good, minus some fine scratches, no accidents or signs of repairs, and a clean interior, so I bought it. CEL was the knock sensor wires that had been chewed into by mice. Engine had the original phasers, and they would knock at hot idle. I weighed the idea of doing a timing job and upgraded oil pump versus replacing the engine with a new one. Drove it 10k miles, decided on a new engine from Powertrain, while the engine was out I had the transmission refreshed. I've upgraded the shocks and struts changed the wheels, and lowered it. The OEM paint quality on this truck is amazing. I clayed it, did a two step polish and waxed it. I like my truck and I really like not having a truck payment.

Old 03-07-2022, 06:33 AM
04' f150

Update on my 04' She's still going strong at just under 300K miles. Getting ready to do some much needed PM's. She's getting a Melling high flow oil pump. New timing set while I'm in there, New roller followers and lash adjusters, New power steering pump and hoses, spark plugs, and all the Idler pulleys. She still pulls our 8500# travel trailer up the mountains without too much protest. All in all she has had her problems but been a solid truck. I fully expect I will see 500K out of her.

Old 04-19-2022, 09:15 PM
Lost reverse at 220,000 miles. Paid 5500 to rebuild trans,engine, and timing with Ford parts. Upgraded oil pump with melling. Motor was still good but wanted to rebuild it since trucks are too expensive now. Before that only had to change the normal stuff oil, brake pads, battery, plugs.

Quick Reply: '04 owners how's your truck holding up?