Go Back  F150online Forums > F-Series Trucks > 2004 - 2008 F-150
*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved *** >

*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

2004 - 2008 F-150

*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

Old 02-26-2008, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Add me to the happy list after doing this. I just did this bout an hour ago and i'm very pleased!

Old 02-26-2008, 05:52 PM
I had to do this adjustment so many times I can't remember. After retiring from the Air Force of 22 years, I went to work for the overnight express corp. I had 16 to 17 tugs for the flight line. And replaced many vacuum boosters over the years. I can only recall maybe two that were adjusted correct "out of the box" A few were so far out, I had almost no brakes and some were so tight the brakes were locked up. But a word of caution, Take it easy on the adjustment. It doesn't take much to make a world of difference and on the worst side, you can easily run that rod out to much and cause major brake wear and heat.

Old 02-26-2008, 06:49 PM
Originally Posted by BtownFord
Add me to the happy list after doing this. I just did this bout an hour ago and i'm very pleased!

Added!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by wrench007
I had to do this adjustment so many times I can't remember. After retiring from the Air Force of 22 years, I went to work for the overnight express corp. I had 16 to 17 tugs for the flight line. And replaced many vacuum boosters over the years. I can only recall maybe two that were adjusted correct "out of the box" A few were so far out, I had almost no brakes and some were so tight the brakes were locked up. But a word of caution, Take it easy on the adjustment. It doesn't take much to make a world of difference and on the worst side, you can easily run that rod out to much and cause major brake wear and heat.

Absolutely! Or even worse, they could lock up! Soooo, as stated several times, make tiny adjustments at a time. 1/16th to 1/8th of a turn is A LOT.

PS: I did 6yrs active duty plus another 6yrs in the OKANG for a total of 12 years in the Air Force.

Old 03-01-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by TigerFan23
This is a thread that I didn't know how to start and am SO thankful to have found. I bought my truck with 70K on it, and the first thing I did was take it to a brake place to address this issue - they replaced my rear pads, but I still had this infamous "soft pedal" that some of you have also suffered.

This weekend hopefully I can do something about it... Thanks again, RMS.

Any updates yet?

Old 04-03-2008, 04:39 AM
Originally Posted by jims94vmx
do you know where and how to get to it? is there a tsb or something? mine isn't really as it should be either....been following the threads for awhile hoping for something solid. thanks for getting back to the group!
For those of you who would like to file a complaint about their brakes may want to visit the Office of Defects Investigation website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and file your complaint there. The Office of Defects Investigation is part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ where motor vehicle complaints and recalls are filed.

A complaint reference this same issue was filed on December 4, 2007 ID# 10214440.
Make: FORD
Model: F-150

Year: 2008
Complaint Number: 10214440
Summary:
TL*THE CONTACT OWNS A 2008 FORD F-150. WHILE DRIVING 30 MPH, THE BRAKE PEDAL EXTENDED BELOW THE ACCELERATOR PEDAL WHEN IT WAS DEPRESSED. THE FAILURE CAUSED THE VEHICLE TO SURGE WHEN ATTEMPTING TO STOP. THE DEALER STATED THAT NOTHING COULD BE DONE AND THE MANUFACTURER WAS UNABLE TO ASSIST. THE CURRENT MILEAGE WAS 1,499 AND FAILURE MILEAGE WAS 9.
However more than this has been complained about and is listed on the website.

One mans opinion – “better to complain here then write to the manufacturer, if they’re the only ones told, who’s to make them correct it? Be Heard!”

Old 04-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Originally Posted by XLTBlackChrome
For those of you who would like to file a complaint about their brakes may want to visit the Office of Defects Investigation website at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ and file your complaint there. The Office of Defects Investigation is part of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ where motor vehicle complaints and recalls are filed.

A complaint reference this same issue was filed on December 4, 2007 ID# 10214440.

However more than this has been complained about and is listed on the website.

One mans opinion – “better to complain here then write to the manufacturer, if they’re the only ones told, who’s to make them correct it? Be Heard!”

WOW... ...good find!

Old 04-03-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
WOW... ...good find!
Glad I could help - hopefully we can get enough complaints to get it corrected.:o

Old 04-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by XLTBlackChrome
Glad I could help - hopefully we can get enough complaints to get it corrected.:o

Unfortunately, most everyone here who has the problem and has read this thread has already cured the issue. It's one of those pestering problems that one doesn't want to let go too long.....But at the very least, we should check out the site and file a complaint just to build a case....

Old 04-05-2008, 11:00 AM
I still find it amazing that Ford has not recognized this as a problem. I even have the proof, with the adjustment being made that my stopping pressure on each axle is where it is supposed to be. Now i don't worry about stopping when i have my 33 ft. travel trailer behind me. KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
I still find it amazing that Ford has not recognized this as a problem. I even have the proof, with the adjustment being made that my stopping pressure on each axle is where it is supposed to be. Now i don't worry about stopping when i have my 33 ft. travel trailer behind me. KEEP THIS THREAD ALIVE.

Still think, as do many others, it should be a sticky, at least for a while anyway.....

Old 04-05-2008, 12:07 PM
Well I logged a complaint, and had my shop do the adjustment yesterday. I'm SO happy with the results! Thanks again, RMS

Old 04-05-2008, 08:13 PM
Add me to the happy list! Just completed the mod myself. My truck is still under warranty, but I didn't want to bother taking it to the dealer and have them tell me my brakes are normal. I adjusted the rod out 1 turn. I test drove the truck and WOW! I eased my truck to a stop by not using the brakes, but using the parking brake to check for heat on the rotors. They were cold as ice to the touch, so I know my brakes aren't dragging. Thanks for this thread!

Old 04-07-2008, 02:16 PM
What about Mkosu04's suggestion to pump the brakes with the truck off, in order to relieve the pressure before removing the master cylinder? It seemed like a decent idea, it's just too bad it was shrouded in bashing. Anyone try this?

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Pumping the brakes with the truck off is sound advice. It "uses" up the vacuum in the booster. It makes MC removal much easier, probably better for the O ring on the MC as well.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: