2004 - 2008 F-150

*** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Grubrunner
*bump*

mkosu04... ?
not sure what you are looking for... you didn't ask any questions. If you are referring to all your "how do you account...?" questions, then I guess those people were either careful or lucky.

I'm not here to start a fight. I just want to make sure that people are informed of the risks they are taking.

and thanks to RMS8 for proving my various points with his response. I don't dispute your general car and mechanic knowledge... but I'm curious RMS8 - how many years have you worked for a brake manufacturer???

PS - I'm done with this thread. I'm not a fan of being attacked for trying to help people with engineering fact. Do what you want with your truck

Old 09-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mkosu04
not sure what you are looking for... you didn't ask any questions. If you are referring to all your "how do you account...?" questions, then I guess those people were either careful or lucky.

I'm not here to start a fight. I just want to make sure that people are informed of the risks they are taking.

and thanks to RMS8 for proving my various points with his response. I don't dispute your general car and mechanic knowledge... but I'm curious RMS8 - how many years have you worked for a brake manufacturer???

PS - I'm done with this thread. I'm not a fan of being attacked for trying to help people with engineering fact. Do what you want with your truck

Thanks for making this easy.

If your sole purpose was to simply convey some information and caution from an “experts” point of view, that could have been easily accomplished WITHOUT all the insults and belittling. Instead you attacked my knowledge and capability. So for that you have ZERO respect from me. Big deal, right.

Oh well. Have a nice weekend and no apologies necessary. I believe your posts speak volumes regarding your character and ability (or lack there of) to communicate in a tactful, non-abrasive sense.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science here.....

Last edited by rms8; 09-26-2007 at 11:23 AM.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:51 PM
Just a quik thanks for the info, I have a 07 F150 and always thought the brake pedal was soft. I work in the service dept of a Linc/Merc dealer and had the issue looked into, the brakes were bled, did not help. After searching on here I found this post, 1 minor adjustment and I now have a normal feeling brake pedal, THANK YOU for the info.

Now can we get rid of the shudder on take off, 10-25mph, the tsb on pinion angle shims just didn't do it.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ron E
Just a quik thanks for the info, I have a 07 F150 and always thought the brake pedal was soft. I work in the service dept of a Linc/Merc dealer and had the issue looked into, the brakes were bled, did not help. After searching on here I found this post, 1 minor adjustment and I now have a normal feeling brake pedal, THANK YOU for the info.

YOU'RE V E R Y WELCOME!!!

Glad to see yet A N O T H E R happy owner who has accomplished this simple adjustment!!!!

Old 09-26-2007, 03:01 PM
and thanks to RMS8 for proving my various points with his response.

Hmmmm.

Still try'n to figure this one out.....

Old 02-25-2008, 01:24 PM
Have noticed quite a few newbie's to the site, so I thought I'd resurrect this thread for their benefit, just in case.....

Old 02-25-2008, 08:48 PM
Its pretty sad Ford has been in business for over 100 years and they cant figure out how to design an adequate brake system for the million f150s they sell per year. I have had 3 sets of rotors and the tsb done for the calipers. I now have ebc rotors on with akebono pads and the brake are still not adequate for a vehicle of this size. This is a joke and Ford should have done a better job. They brag about their brakes on the commericals when in the real world they suck. The rears need dual pistons with a bigger surface area. I work for an Audi dealer and the 4cyl A4's have bigger front and rear calipers than our almost 6000 pound trucks. It all comes down to money, and ford has decided to skimp here and on the shocks they put on these trucks. I am not knocking Ford trucks as I own 5 , but this is not the way to stay on top of the game. This is a joke you spen over 40k on a truck and it doesnt stop great. Im fed up with this topic as this is the only part of my truck that makes me unhappy I am an f150 owner.

Old 02-25-2008, 10:21 PM
This is a thread that I didn't know how to start and am SO thankful to have found. I bought my truck with 70K on it, and the first thing I did was take it to a brake place to address this issue - they replaced my rear pads, but I still had this infamous "soft pedal" that some of you have also suffered.

This weekend hopefully I can do something about it... Thanks again, RMS.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by TigerFan23
This is a thread that I didn't know how to start and am SO thankful to have found. I bought my truck with 70K on it, and the first thing I did was take it to a brake place to address this issue - they replaced my rear pads, but I still had this infamous "soft pedal" that some of you have also suffered.

This weekend hopefully I can do something about it... Thanks again, RMS.

You are VERY much welcomed!

Just make very, VERY small adjustments when trying this. It is a VERY easy, simple task that most anyone with simple tools can accomplish.

Post back with your results and/or ANY questions you come up with. If you have any suggestions to add, please do so.

Good Luck!

Last edited by rms8; 02-26-2008 at 02:44 PM.
Old 02-26-2008, 08:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just any FYI. My truck had a this soft pedal issue for about 27k miles. I was going to to this adjustment but I ended up putting Carquest Blue brake pads on the front to get rid of the brake dust. Just by switching the front pads the pedal is much more firm. It by no means is rock solid but it is 10x better than before. I know have 33k miles on the truck and them pedal still feels good. I don't know if the results would be same for anyone else but it really helped mine.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:16 AM
I did this brake adjustment about 1 year ago, and all i have to say is that i have had ZERO problems with my brakes now!!! If you are going to do this adjustment, READ this thread from the begining and follow the directions. Do not think that a extra couple of turns will do you. It is a minimal amount you need to turn.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
I did this brake adjustment about 1 year ago, and all i have to say is that i have had ZERO problems with my brakes now!!! If you are going to do this adjustment, READ this thread from the begining and follow the directions. Do not think that a extra couple of turns will do you. It is a minimal amount you need to turn.

So, let’s recap what FX4ME2 just pointed out :

1.)
…READ this thread from the beginning and follow the directions
2.)
…It is a minimal amount you need to turn.
These two points cannot be emphasized enough (especially #2). Thanks FX4ME2 for the 12 month update, I’m sure Mrs. mkosu04 would simply attribute this to pure luck…LMFAO.

Old 02-26-2008, 12:05 PM
Tag for later.

The brakes have always been a bit mushy and the other day I noticed if I gave them a quick pump they firmed up just as they should be!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by JMBdevotee
Tag for later.

The brakes have always been a bit mushy and the other day I noticed if I gave them a quick pump they firmed up just as they should be!

This is JUST THE FIX for ya then

Let us know how it goes!

Old 02-26-2008, 02:43 PM
Originally Posted by rms8
The rants of someone who apparently has a bit of the "bunnched-panties-syndrome”

I "strenuously object" to that comment. This is a very advanced mod that should not be performed by just anybody. Putting a sticky on this posting will lead to trouble for lots of people
LOL, “…very advanced mod…” OYE-efen-VEY!

I like how RMS8 didn't even do this thing that he is telling everyone else to do...NEWSFLASH - your F150 master cylinder is different than the aftermarket MC you put on your Mustang.
Let make this very clear (as I did in the FIRST post), you see my dealership made the adjustment. Pretty simple to grasp isn’t it. As far as your informative “NEWSFLASH” informing us that the MC in my F150 is different that the MC I INSTALLED IN MY RACECAR, well all I can say is thanks. It was masterfully written.

If RMS8 knew what he was doing, he would tell you that you need to remove the vacuum from the vacuum booster before attempting to remove the cylinder
WOW. I can see you’re mature BEYOND your paltry years reveal. “If I knew what I was doing” LMFAO. Seriously, how many vehicles have you restored from the ground up? Get over yourself junior.

wow... so RMS8 will advise you to pull your MC off the booster, but then advise against bleeding your own brakes. That alone should be evidence that he is clueless.
Yet another verbally ignorant bucket of vomit coming from your keyboard.

alright... I'm sure that now RMS8 will bash me like he bashed Fireman Dave. Its amazing how quickly ignorant people attack those with knowledge.
LMFAO-again…..seriously, you’re kill’n me….

BTW - I am a degreed Mechanical Engineer that designs and tests Master Cylinders for a living
What exactly is a “degreed” ME? By the very nature of being a Mechanical Engineer, you are degreed, be it a Bachelors, Graduate or PhD. Go figure. BTW, I have a Masters in EE and more years in experience when it comes to building engines/cars than you’ve been blessed to be alive.

Thanks for making this easy.

If your sole purpose was to simply convey some information and caution from an “experts” point of view, that could have been easily accomplished WITHOUT all the insults and belittling. Instead you attacked my knowledge and capability. So for that you have ZERO respect from me. Big deal, right.

Oh well. Have a nice weekend and no apologies necessary. I believe your posts speak volumes regarding your character and ability (or lack there of) to communicate in a tactful, non-abrasive sense.

Seriously, this isn't rocket science here.....

These posts still cause me to giggle....

Quick Reply: *** Soft Brake Pedal Resolved ***