F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Power seat conversions (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/271588-power-seat-conversions.html)

Jimmymore1 03-09-2015 01:32 AM

Hello, new to the site and I recently grabbed some lariat 40/60 seats out of a 2002 f150 supercab. The drivers side has the heated and power function and the passenger has heated. I've noticed that my 2003 f150 xlt does not have a plug for the heated seat function does anyone know how I can wire this up? I grabbed the plugs from the lariat and now I just need to wrap my head around where I run the wires to.. Any help would be appreciated!

HFT 03-09-2015 01:04 PM

I converted my 2005 150 xlt to a power seat. The manual said there was a connection harness in a hole in the carpet under the seat. There wasn't. Short version - remove entire seat. pull up carpet from back drivers side. The main wiring harness runs between carpet and floor where floor drops off. Find the large orange wire. Strip about 1" insulation and solder a 14ga wire to it about 2ft long. Add a ground wire near the same spot to floor. push wires into existing harness casing. Bring wires out hole in carpet and replace carpet. Wiring done. Add a 30amp inline fuse to hot wire and connect to electric seat. Add ground to seat. Test. Smile.

cscot 09-09-2016 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by ChrisAdams (Post 2476170)
continued;

So if you have a memory seat as the only available seat/track you can still use it. Rather than waste time with the memory module and the elaborate wiring you can trim all of it away, leaving just the 8 wire power control switch with the wires routed to the 3 motors , two for each motor and one 12volt power (always hot) and a GOOD ground.

Power seat motors work like power window motors or power lock motors. Two wires to each motor. The switch does all the work. When you push it one way, power goes down one wire while the alternate wire is grounded. Move the switch back the other way and power goes down the second wire and the first wire is now grounded. This reverses the direction of the motor.

Here is a quick color match for removing the memory module and by passing the 50 or so foot of wire needed for the memory, but not needed for simple power seats;

Front up/down;
Yellow/Light Blue into Yellow
Red/Light Blue into Red/Yellow

Forward/rearward
Red/White into Gray/Orange
Yellow/White into Gray/White

Rear Up/Down
Yellow/Light Green into Gray/Light Blue
Red/Light Green into Gray/Yellow

With this you can bypass the entire memory module system, making the seat a standard power seat. The three switches on the side can be removed and by putting either a stock deluxe side plate or the chrome side plate. Or you can leave the switches. They are ‘contact ground’ switches thus can be used for seat warmers, or anything else you would control with a grounding contact switch.

Assuming you are putting power seats into a model that does not option power seats in any fashion, you will need to string power to the seat. You can ground it through one of the seat bolts or you can route the ground under the carpet and ground it there. The ground must be very good, very clean and preferably large. I wired my seats in with ten gauge wire, using a 20 amp fuse. Never forget to fuse the seats. You could use a circuit breaker as an alternative, but always fuse electrical components. You can access power directly in the cab under the steering column, or from the fuse box, or route it from the battery itself. Remember to protect the wire with sheathing where you route it under the carpet.

So the job of converting to power seats can be cheap or expensive, easy or hard mostly depending on the model truck you are working with and the parts you can find.
Doing a straight swap matching seats into a truck that optioned power seats is an hours work.
Alternately, doing a tan SuperCrew memory seat w base swap to a flint XL regular cab could easily take 4-6 hours and require removing wires, removing modules, adding side plates adding a wire harness, and modding the base for tilt forward.

Anyone else who has done this mod please feel free to contribute their input and corrections.
Thanks
Chris

This is very interesting. Don't suppose you have an update for putting 2012 heat/cool/memory power seats from a Super Crew into a 2011 XLT? I just want them to move and am not concerned with the heat/coll/memory functions.
Thanks

HomelandF150 03-04-2019 10:30 PM

Originally Posted by HFT (Post 5138447)
I converted my 2005 150 xlt to a power seat. The manual said there was a connection harness in a hole in the carpet under the seat. There wasn't. Short version - remove entire seat. pull up carpet from back drivers side. The main wiring harness runs between carpet and floor where floor drops off. Find the large orange wire. Strip about 1" insulation and solder a 14ga wire to it about 2ft long. Add a ground wire near the same spot to floor. push wires into existing harness casing. Bring wires out hole in carpet and replace carpet. Wiring done. Add a 30amp inline fuse to hot wire and connect to electric seat. Add ground to seat. Test. Smile.

I am attempting to do this conversion. I was able to score memory heated leather seats out of a 2005 Lariat that I want to put into my 2004 XLT no power. He did give me the complete cab harness that would go underneath the carpet and plug to the seats but I am unable to figure out how to get power to the three motors. Where do I connect that orange wire that you are talking about?

Cjones_1983 04-21-2021 12:25 AM

Did you ever get a response to this inquiry? If not can someone explain what to do.

HFT 04-26-2021 01:23 PM

Power Seats in a 52 F1

Chris,
Thank you for all the info. Appreciated. I may have to go back and and connect power to the lumbar controls.
I put power seats from a 2002 Tahoe into my 52 F1 powered by 1995 Fuel injected 5.0 from a GT Mustang. Ran power and ground to the engine compartment fuse box with #12 wire to eliminate issues. I have all directional power and ignored the heat and lumbar. Mounting original Tahoe rails was fun since the floor has contours not in the Tahoe. Figured out how I wanted the interior to look and mounted them there. A little fab work and extra bracing under the cab and all is good.

Throwitup518 06-08-2023 06:26 AM

Power/Ground

Originally Posted by ChrisAdams (Post 2476170)
continued;

up/down;
Yellow/Light Blue into Yellow
Red/Light Blue into Red/Yellow

Forward/rearward
Red/White into Gray/Orange
Yellow/White into Gray/White

Rear Up/Down
Yellow/Light Green into Gray/Light Blue
Red/Light Green into Gray/Yellow

I’m able to connect a battery to the colors above (on the motor side) and move the seat bypassing the switch. That just verifies the wires and that the motors work, where do you supply the power and ground to use the switch? I understand how you say to wire the switch to the correct wires to bypass but you did not explain where you connect the main power and ground.