2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine Replacement 2005 f150 5.4, 25,000 miles

Old 01-15-2007, 07:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine Replacement 2005 f150 5.4, 25,000 miles

Hello,
I posted a couple of post about oil consumption on a 2005 F150 5.4L with 25,000 miles on the engine.
The service shop decided to do somthing about it. The truck is using 1 quart in 700 to 800 miles.
The truck is in the shop today. They are doing a compression test and a few other things.
They told me tonight that the crank case pressure was high, which means there is a bad oil ring. They are waiting for ford to decide whether to replace the engine or do so sort of repair.

What do you think about a engine replacement. I am worried about a engine replacement. I'm afraid the truck will never be the same. What do you guys think. Should I be concerned or not worry about a thing.

Any comments or information would be great and might ease my mind.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:55 PM
The replacement engines are the same source as the one you have now. I would actually prefer a replacement. Nothing to worry about.

Old 01-15-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned
The question: How did you break it in?

Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
Very easy. drove 60-70 for the first 1500 miles. Never got on it at all.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally Posted by a n t h o n y
I broke mine in ragging it out hard! 40K miles and still runs like a dream. These newer motors do not need to be "broken in".

Within 30 minutes of receiving my truck, I had it up to 97 mph floored (speed limiter).

Old 01-15-2007, 08:47 PM
i would take the replacement over them fixing it. lot more chance for human error pulling it apart.

chances are they will just replace it. thats all techs do anymore. you diagnose then replace.

Old 01-15-2007, 08:52 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pldjr0187
Hello,
I posted a couple of post about oil consumption on a 2005 F150 5.4L with 25,000 miles on the engine.
The service shop decided to do somthing about it. The truck is using 1 quart in 700 to 800 miles.
The truck is in the shop today. They are doing a compression test and a few other things.
They told me tonight that the crank case pressure was high, which means there is a bad oil ring. They are waiting for ford to decide whether to replace the engine or do so sort of repair.

What do you think about a engine replacement. I am worried about a engine replacement. I'm afraid the truck will never be the same. What do you guys think. Should I be concerned or not worry about a thing.

Any comments or information would be great and might ease my mind.
If given a choice I would take a new engine.Most likely they will try to fix that one first.

Old 01-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Push for the replacement. Who knows what else may be honked up in the original?

Old 01-15-2007, 09:49 PM
I am very picky about people working on my truck and I have to say that id rather have a replacement than a engine that has been disassembled and repaired. Not to mention your starting out with 0 miles on a new engine.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:59 PM
Personally I would opt for an engine swap if given a choice. By all accounts, the stock engine is still considered to be relatively new. New engines just dont fail within the first 25K miles unless your on the NASCAR circuit.

Questions that would become apparent to me are:
What internal component failed that caused this problem? (you said bad oil ring)
What direct and indirect damage may have resulted from this component failure?
What level of materials/craftmanship were used during engine construction that led to this failure?
Does this level of materials/craftmanship expand to cover other engine components?
Will this failure lead to premature wear on other internal components that may go undiagnosed?

Regardless of what action Ford takes to remedy this, I would demand that Ford Motor Co. underwrite a new warranty for 3/36K on the repairs. At 25K miles already you might be nearing the end of the factory warranty.

Ox

Old 01-16-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I hope you could get the replacement but with these dealers you can never tell,they try to get out anything.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:19 AM
Opt for new if possible. The craftsmanship I received from my dealer was below poor. They told me to come get it after 17 days, Check Engine Light came on before I put it in drive to leave the place. They needed it another day, because they didn't pay attention to the wiring harness routing along the firewall. Some valve was not closing because the wiring harness was holding it open. How long you think until that shorts out? Took it back a few days later so they could install the missing plug on the bottom of the trans. bellhousing. And reinstall my exhaust sytem using all 3 mounting points, not just the 2 with the 3rd one vibrating at stoplights like they gave it back to me originally. They didn't hook back up my aftermarket foglights, wiring clips are broken with wires that were neatly routed are now drooping, some radiator cover clips missing, along with misc. body part fasteners, and I found a large piece of broken plastic last time I changed my oil. BUTCHERS!!!

Old 01-16-2007, 07:34 AM
They are going to call today with what they are going to do next. I guess i'll hope for a engine replacement.

Old 01-16-2007, 07:36 AM
Originally Posted by xlint1
Opt for new if possible. The craftsmanship I received from my dealer was below poor. They told me to come get it after 17 days, Check Engine Light came on before I put it in drive to leave the place. They needed it another day, because they didn't pay attention to the wiring harness routing along the firewall. Some valve was not closing because the wiring harness was holding it open. How long you think until that shorts out? Took it back a few days later so they could install the missing plug on the bottom of the trans. bellhousing. And reinstall my exhaust sytem using all 3 mounting points, not just the 2 with the 3rd one vibrating at stoplights like they gave it back to me originally. They didn't hook back up my aftermarket foglights, wiring clips are broken with wires that were neatly routed are now drooping, some radiator cover clips missing, along with misc. body part fasteners, and I found a large piece of broken plastic last time I changed my oil. BUTCHERS!!!
After they fixed all of that, How does the truck run. Is it like new again or just as good as it was?????

Old 01-16-2007, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by thetruck
I broke mine in ragging it out hard! 40K miles and still runs like a dream. These newer motors do not need to be "broken in".

Within 30 minutes of receiving my truck, I had it up to 97 mph floored (speed limiter).
I did the same thing with my truck, but I think it only took me about 10 minutes before I hit speed limiter... I raced my brother's 02 FX4 on the way home from the dealer. I have been running it hard ever since. 33K on it and counting, doesn't use a drop between oil changes (5K miles). Sounds like you were the unlucky guy that got a bad motor from the factory. I would not feel bad at all about a replacement engine, it is very unlikely that you will get another bad one.

- Flamesuit On -

Last edited by ford141; 01-16-2007 at 08:39 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Replacement 2005 f150 5.4, 25,000 miles