2004 - 2008 F-150

Engine Replacement 2005 f150 5.4, 25,000 miles

Old 01-16-2007, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hash278
Well I hope you could get the replacement but with these dealers you can never tell,they try to get out anything.
The dealers can only do what Ford allows them to do.

Old 01-16-2007, 02:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Called the dealer today. Ford wants them to pulled the motor and then do more test. Like check the cylinder walls. They are unsure what ford will do next.
If they send a new engine they are not sure if it will be a short or long block. They said ford might just try to fix this motor
This is not what i was hoping for.......................
If they decided to replace the motor i hope it's a long block.
Hopefully I get more info tomorrow.
Looks like i might be in the market for a new truck.......................

Old 01-17-2007, 03:00 PM
Called the service again today. They stated that ford was sending them a short block and they would need the truck for another week or so.
I was hoping for a long block. I hope i don't have promblems with head gaskets after this.
What do you guys think about having them put a short block in.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pldjr0187
Called the service again today. They stated that ford was sending them a short block and they would need the truck for another week or so.
I was hoping for a long block. I hope i don't have promblems with head gaskets after this.

Hey, I see that you have a K&N filter. After all the dealer horror stories I've heard, I guess you're lucky they didn't try to blame the failure on that! Good luck with whatever happens.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:45 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by pldjr0187
What are the differences between the two?

Old 01-17-2007, 03:49 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
What are the differences between the two?
Blondie. A short block is just that...a block with crank and pistons and all already inserted. A long block is basically the complete engine including heads and usually all manifolds and water pump etc. I'm suprised Ford is doing this to him. Most warranty engine replacemants are long blocks right off the assembly line.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by SAJEFFC
Blondie. A short block is just that...a block with crank and pistons and all already inserted. A long block is basically the complete engine including heads and usually all manifolds and water pump etc. I'm suprised Ford is doing this to him. Most warranty engine replacemants are long blocks right off the assembly line.
Brown hair actually. Now I know. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Stealth
Brown hair actually. Now I know. Thanks.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:02 PM

Well, now knowing, it seems like he's getting the shaft with ford only offering a short block. That's a bunch of crap.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:25 PM
Intake manifold,exhaust manifolds and water pump aren't included on a long block.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally Posted by NASSTY
Intake manifold,exhaust manifolds and water pump aren't included on a long block.
Well I guess it depends on the engine line or whats available. I've seen several engine replacement jobs in our shop that did include those items. I had a little Ranger back in 93 that needed a complete engine replacemant at 800 miles due to a bad oil pump. Ford sent a complete engine right off the Ranger assy line and it was complete right down to the throttle body and oil and filter and starter etc. Who knows...guess it depends on what the warranty calls for.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:39 PM
Well I guess it depends on the engine line or whats available. I've seen several engine replacement jobs in our shop that did include those items. I had a little Ranger back in 93 that needed a complete engine replacemant at 800 miles due to a bad oil pump. Ford sent a complete engine right off the Ranger assy line and it was complete right down to the throttle body and oil and filter and starter etc. Who knows...guess it depends on what the warranty calls for.
Yea,that is usually reffered to as a turn key engine when it comes complete.It's the next step above a long block.
I have broken a few engines in my hotrods and usually buy long block replacements. :o

Old 01-17-2007, 06:33 PM
I wonder if the mileage makes a differents. Being there is only 25000 on the old motor.
I should know exactly what they are doing tomorrow. I am going by to get a different rental. they gave me a car. i need a truck or suv. So I'll stop in and try to get somthing different, and check on the truck and speak to the shop foreman.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:35 PM
I have been having this problem for 6-8 months so at the time this all started the truck was stock.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:56 PM
The whole situatuion sucks. I hope they get that repaired. I too didn't know the difference between a long block and a short block.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Replacement 2005 f150 5.4, 25,000 miles