F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Fuel filter replaced (No broken blue clip) Pics included (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/267800-fuel-filter-replaced-no-broken-blue-clip-pics-included.html)

Nates06SCab 02-07-2007 12:53 AM

Anyone else note that the '06 (non-flex) filter is held in place by a different setup than the 04-05? Surely, I'm not the only '06 owner to do this? I did it at 19,050 miles. Didn't need to mess with the blue clip, and used the tool for both sides The rear end had an orange clip in the fitting. Also had to bend a metal clip on the mounting bracket to slide the filter out. The factory must bolt in the filter already in the bracket.

I should have taken pics...

Also , what do you all do to relieve the fuel line pressure? I just loosened the fuel cap, and all was well. (I did wear safety goggles just in case because I've done the whole "gas-in-the-eyes" thing before, and I'm over it). I changed the oil just before doing the fuel filter, so it had set for about 30 minutes by the time I freed the fuel filter.

goldmember 02-07-2007 09:53 AM

Just called. Dealership wants $77 to change a fuel filter. :lol: Looks like I'll do it myself. My truck has 38,000 miles. My guess is that it's long overdue.

-TXF150- 02-07-2007 10:18 AM

The blue thing in this picture is a different type of ford tool, so if you buy the other kind of tool, it would go just like the blue tool..

http://photos.imageevent.com/eelpusd...uelfilter2.jpg

F150 Duke 02-07-2007 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by -TXF150-
The blue thing in this picture is a different type of ford tool, so if you buy the other kind of tool, it would go just like the blue tool..

Oh I see now. I thought the blue thing was actually part of the fuel filter setup in this picture. Now it's making more sense for this end of the picture.

Things I need to get:

1. Silver ford fuel filter tool
2. Motorcraft fuel filter
3. Remember to take off the gas cap

clemtom 02-08-2007 10:41 PM

Thanks guys

New to the forums. Been reading post here for a while. Changed filter tonight at 30k miles. Bought filter wrench at Advance. Only other tool I used was a fine pair of hemostats. Used hemostats on blue pin connection that joins line from tank to filter. Clamped both ends of the little pin and pulled. Popped right up, no problemo. I had a clamp on the other side, from the filter to the motor. I released it by hand and pulled the clamp out of the way, back toward the line. Put on wrench, pushed toward the line and out she came. The only thing difficult(and it wasn't really hard to do) is push out the old filter. Mine is held in place by a bracket that clamps around it and to the frame. Just for future reference for anyone who hasn't changed the filter themselves: The filter will not slide out horizontally. You have to push it up and out of the clamp. If it dimples the side a little, even on the new one you put in, it's OK. Make sure before you put the new one in that you line it up correctly. There a little piece on the front of the bracket that keeps the filter from sliding forward. Make sure the front of you filter is behind that piece sticking up or it will not seat correctly. Then you'll have to push it out again and adjust it. Once replaced, lines connected back easily.
I cut the filter open with a hacksaw and I think b/n 20-30k is a good time to change it. Mine was beginning to stain but didn't look horrible. I plan to do mine again at 60k. Thanks again for the post concerning this simple, do-it-yourself maintenance.

cskrmetti 02-09-2007 12:39 AM

Does anyone know how much the dealer charges for this? I did it myself I was just wondering how much I might have saved myself.

FX4 Matt 02-09-2007 12:42 AM

My dealer wanted $20 for the filter and $60 to change it. there :smoke: crack there! its only a 15-20 min job.

cskrmetti 02-09-2007 12:44 AM

Yeah well they can keep smokin' just not on your dime! I try to do the things I can on my own and only bring it in for stuff I can't.

FX4 Matt 02-09-2007 12:47 AM

I'll do all the maintenance, the ford place will only do a tranny flush. if you get a good manual you can do it all :thumbsup:

cskrmetti 02-09-2007 12:49 AM

Trans is what I was thinking too. I just changed my oil, air, and fuel filter. For the trans and diff. I will go to the dealer. What manual are you talking about? I can't find one for 04+

FX4 Matt 02-09-2007 01:12 AM

I ordered Ford Full Size F-150 Pick-Ups, 2004 Thru 2006 (Haynes Repair Manual and of: Ford F-150 Pick-Ups 2004-06 (Chilton's Total Car Care Repair Manuals) got them at Amazon.com both for $30

bewtew 02-09-2007 01:46 AM

is the ford silver fuel removal tool the same one used for all year models or is there a certain type for the 04-07 model?

clemtom 02-09-2007 10:19 AM

It's the same tool. I believe it's been the same since 1990 or so. 8 bucks at Advance.

goldmember 02-09-2007 10:56 AM

I paid $7.46 at a local auto parts store. I don't think it's a ford specific tool though. I think it's a fuel line specific tool, but I could be wrong.

F150 Duke 02-09-2007 11:05 AM

Thanks for all the info guys!

I've got a quick question. How does fuel not come out of the lines when disconnecting the fuel filter and not clamping the fuel lines?

Duke

goldmember 02-09-2007 11:17 AM

Just a guess, but really all that in the lines is what sitting in the lines. Otherwise you need you truck one and running the fuel pump to the pull the fuel to the engine.

MGDfan 02-09-2007 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Thanks for all the info guys!

I've got a quick question. How does fuel not come out of the lines when disconnecting the fuel filter and not clamping the fuel lines?

Duke

Hi.

Physics ! Which for some folks = PFM :D

Cheers
Bubba

F150 Duke 02-09-2007 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Hi.

Physics ! Which for some folks = PFM :D

Cheers
Bubba

LOL, ok it was my one stupid question of the day! :devil:

Duke

cskrmetti 02-09-2007 01:08 PM

Unless you use hemostats you will have to hold the lines up to prevent leakage. I did not depressurize my system but I let my truck sit overnight. There was a little gas that ran out of the lines, but I made sure you keep my face away from the filter and I was wearing safety glasses. I was able to do it without getting too frustrated which simply means that it is not that difficult to do.

clemtom 02-09-2007 02:21 PM

I had more fuel in my filter once I removed it than I noticed that leaked out of either line when I disconnected them. No spitting or pressure noticed, and I didn't remove the gas cap. I would wear some rubber gloves or something just to keep what gas leaks off you hands b/c by the time you actually wash you hands(if you're like me), they will be burning and the smell will stay with you for a while, despite numerous washings(almost had to sleep in the recliner, wifey didn't appreciate the gas smell last night. And no, it wasn't any gas I was passing:eek: , but rather the remnant of the filter changeout).

cskrmetti 02-09-2007 02:25 PM

Yeah I forgot to mention that I did open my gas tank fuel door. I'm not 100% sure that it matters but don't hold me responsible! :devil:

Nates06SCab 02-10-2007 02:29 AM

Still, nobody with an '06 has done this? The fuel coming out of the back of my filter was filthy!

highridin4x4 02-10-2007 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Nates06SCab
Still, nobody with an '06 has done this? The fuel coming out of the back of my filter was filthy!

I have a 06 and have changed my filter at 15,000 miles. My filter seemed to be clean. I even blew it out and did not see any dirt but the gas was a green tint. Must be the fuel in California.

etrevino103186 02-11-2007 07:22 PM

I cannot get the filter to come off. I bought the Ford tool but the tool does not fit into the inlet :confused:

Stealth 02-11-2007 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by etrevino103186
I cannot get the filter to come off. I bought the Ford tool but the tool does not fit into the inlet :confused:

Time to call Pat.

etrevino103186 02-11-2007 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Stealth
Time to call Pat.

I already did :devil: He is supposed to be coming by but I figured I should probably try myself. :cool:

-TXF150- 02-11-2007 08:03 PM

Did u try both ends on the tool??

etrevino103186 02-11-2007 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by -TXF150-
Did u try both ends on the tool??

the tool doesnt fit any way you try it. does it need to expand over that lip and then slide off?

btw this is patrick :lol:

Boy Racer 02-11-2007 08:52 PM

I wanted to do it today on my '06, but couldn't figure out if I was supposed to bend the little tab (on the frame rail bracket) out of the way so I could slide the filter out from the basket clamp on the bracket or what. It's a tight fit for me to fit under my truck and I can't really see what's going on up there. I was pretty lazy today and didn't feel like jacking the truck up to gain some clearance. I think the description people have posted about doing the 04/05 filters is different from my '06. No one has referenced the little tab holding the filter in the bracket (that I have read). I couldn't bend it with my fingers, it's pretty strong and must be that way for some reason. I also had two blue clips, one at the filter and one aboout 1' upstream back toward the tank (not that it matters I guess). Anyway, I'll give it another shot next weekend.

-HJK

-TXF150- 02-11-2007 09:18 PM

the tool doesnt fit any way you try it. does it need to expand over that lip and then slide off?

btw this is patrick :lol:

Looking at the pic below, the blue tool around the filter is the same as the chrome tool I used, you basicly push the tool into the fuel line fitting, and pull the filter off..

-TXF150- 02-11-2007 09:21 PM

Does your tool look like this one, if so it is the wrong tool, and thats why its not working..

http://www.arizonatools.com/img/prod...KDT3290_TN.JPG

etrevino103186 02-11-2007 10:10 PM

yeah that's what I was using...is that wrong?

Gun Shot 02-11-2007 10:53 PM

Boy Racer, jack it up or put the rear up on ramps so you can get a little more room, and once your ready just sort of force the front of the filter up and over the tab at an angle.

ktexas 02-11-2007 11:02 PM

I just asked a Ford dealership yesterday in San Antonio, TX what they charge for just labor for the fuel filter that I bought myself Friday. They wanted $41 just for the labor!!:eek: !! I plan on doing it myself hopefully this week now that I have all the tools i need. I forgot to ask how much for filter too so I'm sure I saved myself some nice pocket change by doing it myself which I prefer anyway.

-TXF150- 02-12-2007 12:04 AM

yeah that's what I was using...is that wrong?

Yep, wrong tool, that one is to disconnect AC lines.. I bought that one by mistake, and it didnt work for me either.. This is how the tool should look:

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...995-178251.jpg

etrevino103186 02-12-2007 01:01 AM

the package said for fuel lines :confused: where did you get that from?

Nates06SCab 02-12-2007 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by Boy Racer
I wanted to do it today on my '06, but couldn't figure out if I was supposed to bend the little tab (on the frame rail bracket) out of the way so I could slide the filter out from the basket clamp on the bracket or what. It's a tight fit for me to fit under my truck and I can't really see what's going on up there. I was pretty lazy today and didn't feel like jacking the truck up to gain some clearance. I think the description people have posted about doing the 04/05 filters is different from my '06. No one has referenced the little tab holding the filter in the bracket (that I have read). I couldn't bend it with my fingers, it's pretty strong and must be that way for some reason. I also had two blue clips, one at the filter and one aboout 1' upstream back toward the tank (not that it matters I guess). Anyway, I'll give it another shot next weekend.

-HJK

Yeah, just bend the tab out of the way...and leave it there...I couldn't see any need to put it back. I think I had heard of the tab before, but the 04-05 guys have the blue clip fitting directly on the fuel filter. I had the blue clip fitting on a 6" hose forward of it with an orange clip fitting directly on the back end of the fitting.

-TXF150- 02-12-2007 12:28 PM

the package said for fuel lines :confused: where did you get that from?

Autozone, or pep boys.

Nates06SCab 02-13-2007 02:31 AM

Here's a pic of my '06 non-flexfuel filter setup. This is after the change I did over a week ago. You can clearly see in the blurry photo that the blue clip is not on the filter but on a ~6" tube. You can't see it in the pic, but there is an orange clip directly onto the filter. I used the chromed scissor type tool pictured earlier in this thread for both ends of the filter, and didn't need to fool with the blue clip.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...603-181827.jpg

F150 Duke 02-13-2007 09:23 AM

Here's a pic of my '06 non-flexfuel filter setup. This is after the change I did over a week ago. You can clearly see in the blurry photo that the blue clip is not on the filter but on a ~6" tube. You can't see it in the pic, but there is an orange clip directly onto the filter. I used the chromed scissor type tool pictured earlier in this thread for both ends of the filter, and didn't need to fool with the blue clip.

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...603-181827.jpg

Lucky man. I guess Ford didn't like the idea of techs possibly breaking the blue clip and decided to make a smarter setup.

Duke