2004 - 2008 F-150

My gas mileage has gotten really bad?

Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face My apologies

I remember reading about that somewhere not sure where so I did some research and found that it was wrong so I apologize:o but here is the site from the EPA and what they came up with ranging from the least to the most of the f150's.
just scroll down to the f150's, still doesn't explain terrible mpg's.

http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/all_alpha_04.txt

and this is off of a 07' window sticker
Estimated Annual Fuel Cost: N/A
CITY MPG14 HIGHWAY MPG 18
Vehicle Engine Information
2007 F150 4X4 5.4 LITER ENGINE, ETHANOL FLEX FUEL, 3V, FUEL INJECTION, CATALYST, 4-SPD AUTO TRANSMISSION
Actual mileage will vary with options, driving conditions, driving habits and vehicle's condition. Results reported to EPA indicate that the majority of vehicles with these estimates will achieve between 11 and 17 mpg in the city and between 15 and 21 mpg on the highway.
For Comparison Shopping all vehicles classified as STANDARD PICKUP have been issued mileage ratings from 09 to 24 mpg city and 13 to 29 mpg highway

Last edited by bshipley78; 01-08-2007 at 01:10 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Lumadar
ALL gasoline is worse for MPG during the winter. That will reflect some of your problem.

You may need to clean your filters in some cases.

but I can almost guarantee 9 out of 10 of you are simply changing your driving habits. When people first buy new cars and trucks they tend to take it easy on them. As time goes on, they don't baby it as much, and they pay for it at the pump.

Try making a serious effort to lower those RPMs and then check your results.

And fwiw, I get 12.3 consistently with aggressive driving. So you guys aren't far from the norm.... it;s a TRUCK, not a 4 banger car.
yup i agree.....same results here.

Old 01-08-2007, 08:24 AM
is winter blend gas the same in all regions of the u.s.? i've never gotten any appreciably lower mileage in the winter

edit: what i've found indicates that summer-blend gasoline is different due to the removal of certain volatile chemicals (i don't know which ones) in order to help reduce air pollution during peak driving season...what else is different about winter gas? something else would have to be different to result in lower energy...

edit: i've read about the RVP and blending components, with butane being a larger percentage in the winter--is this the reason?

Last edited by ()smoke(); 01-08-2007 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:46 AM
Change your fuel filter!!!!

A lot of times this $10 filter that takes all of 5 minutes to chage gets overlooked. I live in PHX and we get pretty crappy gas here. I change my filter every year (around 15k miles). This year when i changed mine, I dumped out the left over fuel and it looked like muddy water.
After new an oil change and new air and fuel filters it felt like a new truck.

Old 01-08-2007, 11:48 PM
shipley - the one major difference between your F150 and your wife's Tahoe is that you'll be able to come and get her when the cheap piece of crap breaks down. Just tell her to have a box in the back so that she can collect all the pieces that fall off of it between oil changes.

Your F150 will last longer than that cheap, import-looking Tahoe.

It's interesting - my wife's Explorer gets 18mpg. And it can almost tow 6,000 lbs on a V6 engine. I know that there are plenty of SUV's that get better. At the end of the day, however, I can justify the mpg reduction by realizing that I trusted my wife to the care of a quality built Ford vehicle and not some recall mobile that GM built. Will you ever tow 9,000 in the Tahoe? If you do, you better hope your brakes are brand new because that teenie braking system will catch those pads on fire, and then you're looking at a problem.

However, I AM absolutely amazed that GM built an SUV that has more than a 3-star frontal crash test rating. Kudos to Chevy for actually getting a 5-star on the 2007 Tahoe. Maybe there IS finally something behind the front fascia except the motor!

If you take a look at the undercarriage of your Tahoe, pay particular attention to the Japanese-sized frame. Then go look at the Expedition. OOPS! I think someone made a bad mistake!!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:10 AM
Originally Posted by thereisnospoon
shipley - the one major difference between your F150 and your wife's Tahoe is that you'll be able to come and get her when the cheap piece of crap breaks down. Just tell her to have a box in the back so that she can collect all the pieces that fall off of it between oil changes.

Your F150 will last longer than that cheap, import-looking Tahoe.

It's interesting - my wife's Explorer gets 18mpg. And it can almost tow 6,000 lbs on a V6 engine. I know that there are plenty of SUV's that get better. At the end of the day, however, I can justify the mpg reduction by realizing that I trusted my wife to the care of a quality built Ford vehicle and not some recall mobile that GM built. Will you ever tow 9,000 in the Tahoe? If you do, you better hope your brakes are brand new because that teenie braking system will catch those pads on fire, and then you're looking at a problem.

However, I AM absolutely amazed that GM built an SUV that has more than a 3-star frontal crash test rating. Kudos to Chevy for actually getting a 5-star on the 2007 Tahoe. Maybe there IS finally something behind the front fascia except the motor!

If you take a look at the undercarriage of your Tahoe, pay particular attention to the Japanese-sized frame. Then go look at the Expedition. OOPS! I think someone made a bad mistake!!
some reading material for you, pay particular attention to the towing capacities and payload which is listed under the specs tab.
http://www.edmunds.com/apps/nvc/edmu...tab=specs:lol:

Last edited by bshipley78; 01-09-2007 at 12:14 AM.
Old 01-09-2007, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Winter gas...I calculated 12.85 mpg when I last filled up. Computer reads 13.2, so thats fairly close. Gas mileage is not everything.....I learned that the hard way. Give me comfort and safety over 3 or 4 mpg better in a SMALLER VEHICLE. I'm back to my fullsize.

LUV MY F-150!

Old 01-09-2007, 10:47 AM
I live in florida so i dont know if i get the so called winter gas here or not, but my truck has never averaged over 13.6 mpg since new and she has 37k on her.

i get 13 on hwy and 12 in town but i get 11 towing a 1500 pound car hauler and my toy, same with the 22 foot boat.

oh well like previosly stated if you wanted gas mileage you bought the wrong kind of vehicle.

Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM
i read an article where they tested out the 06 kingranch 4x2....they said that the 5.4l only got 14.5mpg....and that was a 4x2....i know in my kingranch 4x4...the best im pulling is 13.6mpg

Old 01-12-2007, 12:57 PM
bump^

anyone offer any insight to the winter gas deal?

Old 01-12-2007, 01:18 PM
I do a lot of highway and went from 255-70-17 to 325-60-18 in Dec. and Got a Magnaflow si/so last week and my Edge on lvl2. With all this together im getting a high of 16 mpg as of last night. I dont have an after market intake either. Before all this I was getting 260 miles out of a tank of fuel w/ my Edge on lvl 3 during the winter months.

Old 01-12-2007, 01:27 PM
That towing capacity in the specs comparo is rediculous. The F150 can now two 10,500 when "properly equipped" and the taho is 8200 when properly equipped. They showed a non equipped F150.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: My gas mileage has gotten really bad?