2004 - 2008 F-150

3 faulty fuel injectors on my 05! Scary!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 12:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3 faulty fuel injectors on my 05! Scary!

After work Tuesday, I went to start my truck, and she wouldn't. It cranked but "bucked", sputtered, and smelled gasy. It eventually started and I limped home with the engine missing badly, check engine light was on and flashing. A trip to the dealer in the morning revealed 3 faulty injectors #6,#7and #8, which had stuck open, dumping way too much fuel into the cylinder. This also fouled the plugs, which were replaced. I have 20K on my truck. The dealer said they had only seen one other truck have this happen. I searched the forums and did read about someone who had this happen, damaging his engine. Mine seems to be fine now. It was weird how it happened suddenly, with no warning. The truck had been great up to this point.
Just thought I'd share the info!

Old 01-05-2007, 09:18 PM
Was the one person it happend to possibly me? https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=257794

Apparently there is an issue with some type/brand of the injectors. All of mine were replaced (along with the engine that it hydrolocked) with a different brand, BOSCH I believe.

What did the dealer do/say about yours? I am suprised it didnt hydrolock also. Hopefully they replaced all of your injectors, not just the bad ones.

Old 01-05-2007, 10:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yeah, they do that. Pretty cool, huh?

Worst case, the engine hydrolocks and bends/breaks connecting rods. As much sense as it'd make, the dealer can't indiscriminately replace all the injectors - they can only fix what's broke. Expect some shortened life out of the catalytic converters too as a result of the sticking injectors.

Old 01-24-2007, 12:19 PM
Injector Problems Too

Was on my way back to my office in my 05 F150 KR, about 30 mile drive. Left a stoplight and the missing and shaking started. Pulled over, left it running and went around back......white exhaust smoke smelled like gas! Called my local dealer, told them what was going on and they told me to "limp" back to the dealership, about 20 miles. So I did at 40-45 mph. Dropped it off and called later to find out two of the injectors locked open. They only replaced the two and all plugs. Should I call them back requesting replacement of all? Why?? Truck is out of warranty, 52,000 miles. That would probably be another $2,500 bill.
The only good thing is they gave me a new loaded Lariat to drive for 4 days!

Old 01-24-2007, 12:36 PM
With the exception of tbagr's situation (out of warranty), I'm curious to know why no one used the Roadside Assistance plan? Unless I'm missing something blantantly obvious, wouldn't RA have the truck towed to the dealer? Perhaps it changed since I had my '97 Expedition but I *thought* it allowed for transportation of the truck if it's disabled and still under warranty.

Just wondering.....go easy on me if I'm being naive

Dave

Old 01-26-2007, 07:51 PM
tbagr.....I think your truck will be OK. Unless the injectors are known to prematurely fail, there's no need to replace all of them. The reason some recommend replacing all of the injectors at that time is because most of the money it's costing you to replace them is in the labor. The injectors are a small part of your cost. The techs have to dismantle alot of the components and top of motor (I think) to access and replace the injectors. That takes several hours and several more to put it all back together again. So in the long run, if you have high mileage or hear you have inferior injectors, then I would replace them. You'll have saved the labor cost in the end if the old ones were due to fail.

Old 02-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Mine too

I have a 2005 XL 4x4 with about 17,000 miles on it. About 6 months into ownership the truck started idling rough and the check engine light came on. Drove it to dealership where they replaced #6 injector. They said it was "burned". Ran fine after that.

Two days ago the truck did the same thing only it was running even rougher and blowing white smoke along with the smell of fuel. This time the truck would not restart after turning it off so I called Roadside Assistance to tow it to dealership. This time it was #7 injector. Runs fine now.

My fear is losing more injectors after warranty is up. Since this is an ongoing problem will they replace after warranty? Will this end up a recall?

Also, the only mod to truck is I added the AirRaid Jr. intake. I wonder if adding this has anything to do with burning up injectors or the lack of altering exhaust. Any guess?

Old 02-02-2007, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by Quintin
Yeah, they do that. Pretty cool, huh?

Worst case, the engine hydrolocks and bends/breaks connecting rods. As much sense as it'd make, the dealer can't indiscriminately replace all the injectors - they can only fix what's broke. Expect some shortened life out of the catalytic converters too as a result of the sticking injectors.
Yep. Happened to me at 12K miles. The number 1 cylinder... sent the rod through the pan. Ford replace the entire engine in 3 days. If it starts bucking and stalling, shut it down and get a tow.

Old 02-02-2007, 11:14 AM
I had 4 replaced right after I bought the truck. I am also worried about the rest of them once the warranty is up.

Old 02-02-2007, 12:54 PM
I just picked up my '05 XLT 5.4 from the dealer yesterday (approx. 18k miles) for an intermitant rough idle. Paperwork shows injectors flooding the cyliders on the left side. Dealer replaced injectors, plugs and coils on cylinders 5,6,7 and 8. Also, one item I didn't see mentioned previously, my dealer replaced the catalytic converter which was damaged by the flooding of fuel.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:04 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Hi.

As Quintin mentioned a while ago - I hope they also changed your oil.

Gotta love those Siemens injectors... Good luck.

Cheers
bubba

Old 02-02-2007, 02:02 PM
Is this happening alot on the 2005's? I have an 05 with 50,000 miles and was wondering if I should be expecting this ?

Old 02-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dave N
With the exception of tbagr's situation (out of warranty), I'm curious to know why no one used the Roadside Assistance plan? Unless I'm missing something blantantly obvious, wouldn't RA have the truck towed to the dealer? Perhaps it changed since I had my '97 Expedition but I *thought* it allowed for transportation of the truck if it's disabled and still under warranty.

Just wondering.....go easy on me if I'm being naive

Dave
no they will still do it... i had to have them tow my mustang to the dealership when i ripped the rear end out.... and my truck is doing some really bad shaking but ive also got bad tires so im wondering if its the tires or injectors.... is there anyway to tell?... my check engine light has never came on

Old 02-03-2007, 01:36 PM
my truck is doing some really bad shaking but ive also got bad tires so im wondering if its the tires or injectors.... is there anyway to tell?... my check engine light has never came on
Yeah, pop the hood and take a look at the engine while it is running. If you notice the engine shaking back and forth in it's mounts at idle (you can't miss how badly it shakes), it is the injectors.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice, my engine shakes at idle also. Ive taken to the dealer several times only to have them tell me "its a truck, its supposed to be like that". How many of you have heard that one.

Injectors failing can be an engine destroying defect. The dealers just want to get you out of your warranty period so that if/when they do fail, you will have to flip the bill for a new engine...not cheap.

Quick Reply: 3 faulty fuel injectors on my 05! Scary!