2004 - 2008 F-150

AUTO START is it worth it

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink AUTO START is it worth it

like everybody says "this topic has been beat to death
well whatever i want to do the alarm and autostart but is it worth the money...

Old 11-14-2006, 02:24 AM
It's 25 below out today... you tell me.

I have the autostart/alarm from Ford with an annoying *** alarm that honks the horn in different intervals and tones. I've got it set extra sensative and haven't had any "false alarms" I'm as happy with this set up as I was with my past Viper remote start/alarm.

It also impresses the ladies.

Old 11-14-2006, 02:39 AM
yeah its getting to be in like the 50's here in az when the sun isnt up so its getting to be pretty cold wish i had it tonight, it was freezing, lol just think of how many times during the summer in the 110-120 degree heat do you get in your truck and say damn its hot

Old 11-14-2006, 07:57 AM
Very much worth it here. It has started dipping below 30 recently here. I had an aftermarket DEI installed.
Well worth it to not get into a freezing truck.
Besides my father in law lives with us. He is aptly named "Frosty". Even at 80 degrees he is cold ( he is 82 and has several health issues) so he is the most grateful of all.
Get it, you wont regret it.

Old 11-14-2006, 07:59 AM
Originally Posted by azmidget91
yeah its getting to be in like the 50's here in az when the sun isnt up so its getting to be pretty cold wish i had it tonight, it was freezing, lol just think of how many times during the summer in the 110-120 degree heat do you get in your truck and say damn its hot

Wow I wish it would only get in the 50's where I live at night. In about a month it's going to be in the 20's or even in the 10's here.

James

Old 11-14-2006, 08:03 AM
anyone have part numbers or info ... *cough* 05RoushMarkLT *cough*

I drive 8 miles to work and it takes that long for my truck to warm up

Old 11-14-2006, 08:09 AM
It is only worth it if you enjoy getting in a nice warm truck on FREEZING COLD days (35-) or a nice cool truck on HOT AZZ days (100+).

It isn't worth it if you enjoy your hands freezing to your steering wheel in the winter or 2nd degree burns from the seats in the summer. It is really just a personal preference.

Me I prefer to be comfortable plus it adds about triple or four times the distance your lock or unlock feature works.

Old 11-14-2006, 08:39 AM
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
It's 25 below out today... you tell me.

I have the autostart/alarm from Ford with an annoying *** alarm that honks the horn in different intervals and tones. I've got it set extra sensative and haven't had any "false alarms" I'm as happy with this set up as I was with my past Viper remote start/alarm.

it was 5 below last week and today there's 5" snow here. you tell me. i disconnected all the horn functions from my remote start though, so when i roll over when my alarm goes off, i can start the truck, go get ready and jump in a nice warm, defrosted truck..
its fun to scare people in the parking lot late at night or at the movies...right as they walk by VROOOOMM from that roush offroad-

Old 11-14-2006, 08:47 AM
If you're going to get an alarm anyway, then why not get the remote start? The bypass module was only about $40 and takes about 18 seconds to program. I wouldn't have just gotten just a remote start but I figured since I was getting an alarm I may as well add 1 more toy. It does have a certain "WOW" factor, at least to me, but this is my first remote start soooooo.......

Old 11-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Yes, it is worth it. CA670 here.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:24 AM
Definitly worth it, plus if it snows it will melt the snow/ice off the windshield. My remote (lcd 2 way) tells you the temp inside the truck.

Old 11-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally Posted by 05RoushMarkLT
Really? They're usually just impressed with the shear size of my.... truck.

But they do enjoy the car being warm on a cold day, especially in MN.

Sooo.... YES - worth it.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:19 AM
It is winter time now. I'd say it's worth it, although the coldest it will ever be overnight here is 35-40. And that will be like, one night this winter. The rest of the time it dips into the 50's. Brrrrrr!

Also, I came out of the bank the other day and started the truck, and some lady said "Did your truck just start all by itself? Cool!"

So you see, it DOES impress the ladies.

Oh yeah, I have the Audiovox Pro 9800 as notated in my sig. Cost me $300 installed by the alarm guy at the dealership I used to work at.

Old 11-14-2006, 10:30 AM
Hell yeah its worth it. You will find that a remote starter is addicting. Once you have on you always want on. You want it on all cars and you tell and impress everyone with it...lol I'm sure others agree. You'll never want another vehicle without it. Kind of like the standard wants like power windows, locks, keyless entry, cruise, cd.

You ought to check out Travis at kcautosound.com I am on my 9th system from him. I install them for my friends and family all the time. Many of us on here have used his services for security, audio, and more. He will pre-wire a system for you that comes with step-by-step installation instructions (now with photos). He even gives you phone tech support and will guide you through any troubles. I and my buddies have used him for all our audio, video, security needs. He's the lead installer for the Ford Accessory Division in Kansas City and has done professional audio installations for 16 years. Guy is just awesome.

I chose to go with the Code Alarm CA670 with Car-Link. The 670 is a full featured 2-way paging remote alarm/starter that also adapts to your keypad on your door wich is one of the very few systems that do. You can arm/disarm your system with the pad. It also can turn on your heated mirrors, headlights, and auxilliary functions. The Car-Link is a phone module that plugs into the brain and allows you to call you vehicle anywhere in the world and arm, disarm, remote start your vehicle. I use it all the time from inside a mall or anywhere I am beyond range of my remote. I also have a glass break sensor and Code Alarms new DUB1 tilt sensor.

Anyways whatever path you decide the remote start is highly recommended.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:57 PM
Found this great website while searching for install tips on Remote Start systems Anyhoo, i've been researching remote start systems and have a pretty good feel. Can anyone shed some light on where they mount all the modules and relays on their trucks? I've found that pretty much all of the wiring that is to be tapped into the truck's harness is located on the drivers side. Wasn't sure if there was a popular spot to mount these babies. For what it's worth, i'm looking at AstraStart and UltraStart 2-way models. I've heard some great reviews on both, but the AstraStart ones are a bit more pricey. Vipers seem to have weak remotes so i'm gonna steer away from them for the time being.

I'm more of a classic car guy so this advanced electronics might be a challenge for me Just kidding, it seems to mainly be alot of splicing and soldering. I have custom harnesses in my cars so this should not be a problem. Actually taking the panels off and finding the right wires seems to be the most time consuming. The truck has to sit outside cause the classics take up all of the garage. Sooooo, its getting darn cold out and that remote start would be real nice right now.

Oh and if anyone has any links on any install pictures that would be sweet I've found some threads on this site that have links to some wiring diagrams but couldn't come up with many pictures (like the mounted modules). Thanks again!

Last edited by buening; 11-14-2006 at 02:00 PM.

Quick Reply: AUTO START is it worth it