F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   $50 to change a fuel filter????? (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/260186-50-change-fuel-filter.html)

stylinf150 11-08-2006 08:27 PM

$50 to change a fuel filter?????

I just got back from taking my f150 to the dealership for an oil change and to have them replace the fuel filter...I had planned to do it myself but I figured if the truck is on the lift might as well let them do it...I have a lube for life plan with them that I bought for $100 when I bought the truck last august and I take it in every 3k for the oil change if not for the deal I would be doing them myself..I gave the service manager the Motorcraft fuel filter I had and being a fool I never asked what they charged to change the filter...well about 20 minutes later the truck comes off the lift with new oil and fuel filter so I go to the desk to pick-up my bill and it says 0.7 hrs@$70/hr to change fuel filter and free oil change...I almost flipped..my brother just had his changed at a dealer about 30 minutes away and it was $20!!!....So I had to pay $46.99 plus tax to change the filter and the service guy says that is a good deal because it would have been $35 more for the filter if I didnt have one.....

I was wondering what everyone else is paying for their filter changes???

I made sure to let them know that I will drive the 30 minutes to get the fuel filter done next time but I will be back for all my free oil changes and I hope to see 200,000 miles+++ on this truck like my 1998 did.. Then I made sure to let them here my IMCO Duals roar when I left the garage...sorry for the rant but I just feel like I got taken advantage of..

SuperSport1985 11-08-2006 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by stylinf150
I just got back from taking my f150 to the dealership for an oil change and to have them replace the fuel filter...I had planned to do it myself but I figured if the truck is on the lift might as well let them do it...I have a lube for life plan with them that I bought for $100 when I bought the truck last august and I take it in every 3k for the oil change if not for the deal I would be doing them myself..I gave the service manager the Motorcraft fuel filter I had and being a fool I never asked what they charged to change the filter...well about 20 minutes later the truck comes off the lift with new oil and fuel filter so I go to the desk to pick-up my bill and it says 0.7 hrs@$70/hr to change fuel filter and free oil change...I almost flipped..my brother just had his changed at a dealer about 30 minutes away and it was $20!!!....So I had to pay $46.99 plus tax to change the filter and the service guy says that is a good deal because it would have been $35 more for the filter if I didnt have one.....

I was wondering what everyone else is paying for their filter changes???

I made sure to let them know that I will drive the 30 minutes to get the fuel filter done next time but I will be back for all my free oil changes and I hope to see 200,000 miles+++ on this truck like my 1998 did.. Then I made sure to let them here my IMCO Duals roar when I left the garage...sorry for the rant but I just feel like I got taken advantage of..

Hey dude I work at a shop and I'll check to see what the book has for straight time.

sandyf150 11-08-2006 09:06 PM

well you know some of them are a bit** to get off so 50 bucks isn't that much really. but I agree with you I think it is bs and I like doing my work myself also.

baja150 11-08-2006 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by sandyf150
well you know some of them are a bit** to get off so 50 bucks isn't that much really. but I agree with you I think it is bs and I like doing my work myself also.

No, the fuel filters on our trucks are very accessible and easy to change. Stylinf150 got ripped. They were probably supposed to charge you more for the lube for life thingy because our trucks use 7 qts. of oil and now they're trying to get their money back.

I wouldn't be to pissed though because if you paid $100 for a lifetime of oil changes then you're going to come out WAY ahead of the game even after just a few oil changes.

Trooks2001 11-08-2006 09:27 PM

Just do it yourself. I got my last motorcraft fuel filter on sale at Advance for $8.95 and it took me 30-45 min to change it out.

YellowFX4SCrew 11-08-2006 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Trooks2001
Just do it yourself. I got my last motorcraft fuel filter on sale at Advance for $8.95 and it took me 30-45 min to change it out.

I have never changed the fuel filter, what would I need to know to change it myself? I would assume that I would just need to back the truck up on ramps right? (This assuming fuel filter is in the rear of the truck)

Trooks2001 11-08-2006 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by YellowFX4SCrew
I have never changed the fuel filter, what would I need to know to change it myself? I would assume that I would just need to back the truck up on ramps right? (This assuming fuel filter is in the rear of the truck)

Its on the driver's side on the inside of the frame rail. The only tool you will need a 3/8 inch tool thats made to get the clips off. Its like a $6 tool at most auto places. Here is another thread w info.https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254326

YellowFX4SCrew 11-08-2006 09:44 PM

Its on the driver's side on the inside of the frame rail. The only tool you will need a 3/8 inch tool thats made to get the clips off. Its like a $6 tool at most auto places. Here is another thread w info.https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=254326

Thanx, I'll look into that. I know that Ford wanted about $150 for oil change, tire rotation and fuel filer.

Wal-mart quoted me $40 for the oil change (mobil 1 full synthetic 7 qts) $1.50 / tire rotation. And now if I can do the fuel filter, that would be great.

Trooks2001 11-08-2006 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by YellowFX4SCrew
Thanx, I'll look into that. I know that Ford wanted about $150 for oil change, tire rotation and fuel filer.

Wal-mart quoted me $40 for the oil change (mobil 1 full synthetic 7 qts) $1.50 / tire rotation. And now if I can do the fuel filter, that would be great.

No problem. Its really easy once you gt under there and see what you gotta do.

stylinf150 11-08-2006 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by baja150
No, the fuel filters on our trucks are very accessible and easy to change. Stylinf150 got ripped. They were probably supposed to charge you more for the lube for life thingy because our trucks use 7 qts. of oil and now they're trying to get their money back.

I wouldn't be to pissed though because if you paid $100 for a lifetime of oil changes then you're going to come out WAY ahead of the game even after just a few oil changes.

I have already had 5 oil changes done so the plan has already paid for itself and I know I will make out good on it...I have always enjoyed going to this dealership for my service because they are very helpful and get you in when you need to get something done...I couldnt believe the oil change plan was only $100..even today it is availible from time to time for $150.

My main gripe is the fact that the oil was draining while he was removing the fuel filter...How can I get charged 0.7 hrs for a total of 20-25 minutes of work???? I would have no problem giving the dealership $20-$25 but $50is too much.

Also for anyone interested I get all my filters for my family's ford vehicles from http://k-mansparts.com/store.asp

They seem to cost about 40% of what ford charges and they ship fast

Thanks for all the inputs

Trooks2001 11-08-2006 10:17 PM

The min hour charge is .5 hrs and the avg is $60 an hour. Bot sure why you got charged $50 especially since you already had the filter.

stylinf150 11-08-2006 10:23 PM

You would think that it would be more expensive to have tires rotated, but they do that for $15.

Bluejay 11-08-2006 10:28 PM

My dealer charges $68 for the fuel filter and labor. I do it myself, takes about 10 minutes at the most. A Motorcraft filter costs $13 and the special tool cost me $10.

rms8 11-09-2006 12:05 AM

Originally Posted by stylinf150
Also for anyone interested I get all my filters for my family's ford vehicles from http://k-mansparts.com/store.asp

I went to that link and just looked up the FL-820S and it's no better than Walmart. I think the same oil filter at Walmart may be a bit cheaper too, plus no S&H. Just an observation.;)

firstimeFord 11-09-2006 08:47 AM

The min hour charge is .5 hrs and the avg is $60 an hour. Bot sure why you got charged $50 especially since you already had the filter.

I wouldn't complain, you guys are paying cheap hourly rate - my local Ford dealer is $108 per hour...:eek: