2004 - 2008 F-150

Vibration Poll

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my dad just purchased a 2006 f150 regular bad long box 2x4 and only has 200 miles on it, it vibrates so bad that he uses my truck whenever possible, we are taking it to the dealer as soon as possible. He doesn't want to even drive it it is so bad! it has really cheap tires like hancook's or something?

Old 12-28-2006, 02:57 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcatfan
Hi all, I have a 2006 Lariot 4X4 with 5.5 bed. It has 5200 miles on it now. It has LT265/65R 18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S Tires. I have a little vibration but the main thing I am getting is I guess whats called steering wheel nimble. The steering wheel moves back and forth. At times is minor but some times its bad. The bad occurs mainly when the tires are cold, then seems to get better but never goes away completly. The tires have been balanced twice and the steering problem is better at first then it comes back. I asked the dealer if they could force balance them and they said they didn't have the equipment and would have to send me to another tire dealer. I am waiting at this time to have them set the appointment. Any ideas? Thanks Wildcatfan
I have the same problem only I have a 2004 Lariat 4x2 with the 5.5 bed. I did not have the problem with the original 18" wheels and BFG tires. When I changed to 2006 20" rims with Pirelli Scorpion tires it started. The dealer that I bought the truck at said the same as above. They did there best and reduced the nibble way down. I recently changed rotors and hubs and the nibble came back as bad as before. When I removed the wheels I noticed that the dealer had torque the lug nuts to something much greater than 150 ft. lb's. So I did the same and torque the lug nuts to 200 ft. lbs. thinking that would help and it did a little, but I still feel it.

With everything I have read so far, I don't think it's the tires alone. Although they may contribute to an already "shaky" situation. One thing that seems to fix the problem is the rack replacement. Do you think the dealer will still try and fix the problem with Bear Rotors that they didn't install, or will they use that as an excuse?

Do you think that a new rack is the "fix" or is it something else?

Old 12-28-2006, 09:16 PM
my 07' vibration notes...

I just bought an FX2 Extra cab 6.5 bed with the 20" wheel package, and after test driving it before I purchased it, I noticed at about 2000 RPM that the steering wheel vibrated at 70 mph... I discussed it with the sales manager and he said it was nothing. So I went to the Dealership owner and he and I drove half a dozen identical Trucks and experienced the similiar vibration. He then told the service dept to check the front tire balance and it was off 1.75 ounces.. (a lot) 1.5 ounces is bad. So then we talked to the service manager and said if is a nusance they would work on the tire vibration and make it right. Then I brought up if it could be a driveshaft issue, and he said they had one late model where it was off and they sent the truck out to a drive line shop and it fixed that particuliar problem. So I think it could be a combination of events... The Pirelli Scorpion tires are noted by Ford in a TSB that they are in need of rebalencing... I bought the truck and it now has 2000 miles on it... the vibration is noticeable but I can live with it, when I have time, I will take it back to the Stealer and have them look more closely into giving me new tires...

Old 12-28-2006, 09:37 PM

I changed to BFG A/T KO's when I bought my truck new. It drove Sooo smooth but I was starting to get vibration in the steering wheel and throughout as the tires started to wear at 50K miles. I had them balanced and it would go away but it seemed like it kept coming back after 5K miles or so.

I ran them to 70K miles and purchased a new set of the same tires. This truck is a SMOOTH as silk now at all Speeds! My buddy commented that my truck was smoother and better riding than his Mini Van.

So in General, no real vibration issues with me....

94 SCREW
3:73 gears
285/70R 17's BFG Radial AT KO
2" AutoSpring
Leer Cap

https://www.f150online.com/galleries....cfm?gnum=5497

Old 12-29-2006, 10:45 AM
Update

See post #22 on in this thread.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Hey, DRZ400, that's what mine is doing. It's so bad that it shakes the whole truck and I have to actually stop completely to get it to quit. Sometimes it does, for a day, week, sometmies it starts back up a mile down the road. can't figure it out...

Old 05-16-2007, 09:16 AM
2004 Screw 4X4. I had the goodyear wranglers 18" and put 53K miles on them. At about 35K miles I noticed some nibble and minor shaking. Also noticed the front tires were wearing uneven, every other **** on the tread was wearing on the inside. Had the truck aligned!! Still continue to wear like above. Back to the dealer and they replied truck is aligned correctly just tire wear.

Installed 2"AS leveling kit, 18X9 MM 956 wheels and 325/60/18 tires last week. Look great!! (I'll post pics when I get time to detail the truck) Noticed nibbling in the steering and slight shake from 58 to 68 mph. Also noticed wear on the inside of tire like the goodyears. I increased air pressur in tires to 43 psi. Now vibration and nibble much worse at same speeds. Advice?? I've read several of the threads about the driveshaft problem, but mine never really shook until about 35K miles, thus wondering if other front end issues? Shocks, Brake rotors, steering rack??

Old 05-17-2007, 01:25 PM
2004 Lariat with stock Goodyears....

Vibration ever since it was new, comes and goes, but worst when tires are cold.

Had a massive vibration for a while around 50-55mph, Dealer fixed it.

Dealer has rebalanced and matched the tires or whatever they do a few times... vibration it seems to come back after a while... got 30K on the tires, can't wait to buy news ones, Not sure yet what I'll get, but it won't be Goodyear!!

Old 05-17-2007, 01:48 PM
i had a vibration begin a while back, truck had 15,000 miles, took the truck to a tire shop and we found a bent rim, put on balanced and there was no question, did the other 3 and found no problems, tire shop said that they felt ptoblem was bad rim and that dealership should replace as they saw no signs of tire damagewent to daler and got a run arround, they would check, but if found no problem I would have to pay.

I could see what was coming, they stated that rim was $250.00, I saw the comment tah Ford would not warranty and I was to pay for rim, tire balance, alignment, etc.

Sinec I knew the parts folks at another ford dealer, the parts boys are good but the sop has some questionable practices, the service manager told a friend that he truck shook less than most, my friend got buy back from Ford.

In my case I decided since I could get the new rim for $140, just buy rim and have tiere shop put on, no more vibration.

2 weeks later same problem, opposite side front instead of rear
got another rim and changed

so far been a couple of months and no vibration

Point here is may not be the tires may be the rims

Old 06-04-2007, 10:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have an 2005 4x4 with the General Ameritrac tires. Had a vibration(bed shaking around 55mph). Dealer ended up replacing the rear tires and that fixed the problem. I have only rotated tire twice. The first time no problems but I just rotated them a couple of weeks ago and now the bed shakes are back. I'm going to take it back to the same dealer and see if they will work with me on this and balance the tires for free since I've had the same problem before.

Old 06-04-2007, 09:07 PM
2004 with shaking at 60-70 MPH. Here is a list of all the items that have been replaced with NO change it the shaking problem.
  • New Bilstein Shocks
  • Baer Eradispeed rotors with new front hubs and wheel bearings
  • New Tires
  • Road Force balance
  • Alignment
  • Gone through the dealer
  • Rotated tires many times
  • Checked steering rack

Old 06-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Steering Nibble

2004 Fx4
Just put on 305/55/r20 on and have had a back and forth motion on the steering wheel at about 50-70 mph. Not really bad, but noticable. Had them rebalanced which decreased the motion somewhat, but it still persists.
Anyone had this problem and fixed it?
Nitto Terra Grapplers are the tires.

Old 06-06-2007, 12:32 PM
1. 2004 XLT Screw 4.6l 4x2.

2. AS leveling kit, stock 17" wheels, 265/70 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

3. No vibration or steering wheel shake, speeds up to 100mph.

Old 06-12-2007, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by Hestpeis
Not sure yet what I'll get, but it won't be Goodyear!!
There has been the same steering wheel shimmy with Pirelli's, Hankook's, Michelin's, Goodyear's, BFG's, Continental's, General's, and Nitto's. I doubt that all of these manufacturers make completely horrible tires. My point is, I don't think the tires are junk, I think the steering rack, driveshaft, and rear end may all be problems on these trucks.

Old 06-13-2007, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by SoCalBlue
There has been the same steering wheel shimmy with Pirelli's, Hankook's, Michelin's, Goodyear's, BFG's, Continental's, General's, and Nitto's. I doubt that all of these manufacturers make completely horrible tires. My point is, I don't think the tires are junk, I think the steering rack, driveshaft, and rear end may all be problems on these trucks.
I second that.

Quick Reply: Vibration Poll