2004 - 2008 F-150

Rear flares, different size wheel openings???

Old 09-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear flares, different size wheel openings???

Just got a set of FX flares off ebay, well 3/4 anyhow. The right front is scratched up and I'm a bit pissed it wasn't disclosed by the seller. Anyways on to my question...I took the front and did a quick fit test, all good. Took the rear and holy *&#@ put it on one side of the wheel opening and it doesn't reach the other side by a good inch and a half. I can stretch it over there, but not sure I should have to. IF it's supposed to be stretched then I'm good to go, if not wtf? I dunno, I would think the wheel openings are the same on all boxes, are they? I've got a 8' box, could it have larger openings than the 5.5 and 6.5's?

Old 09-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scorpio333
Just got a set of FX flares off ebay, well 3/4 anyhow. The right front is scratched up and I'm a bit pissed it wasn't disclosed by the seller. Anyways on to my question...I took the front and did a quick fit test, all good. Took the rear and holy *&#@ put it on one side of the wheel opening and it doesn't reach the other side by a good inch and a half. I can stretch it over there, but not sure I should have to. IF it's supposed to be stretched then I'm good to go, if not wtf? I dunno, I would think the wheel openings are the same on all boxes, are they? I've got a 8' box, could it have larger openings than the 5.5 and 6.5's?

Should be fine, I had to stretch it over there on my rears also... and BTW get some Meg.'s #80, it took the scratches out of mine, if there not to deep.. mine where more rub marks and scuffs..

take the clips out and tape it to the truck and you'll see.. it fits...
I just done a write up on installing the OEM flares....

Old 09-09-2006, 11:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was going to try some #80, but honestly I think the scratches are too deep, but maybe it can minimize them some. Just irks me the rest of the truck is spotless and I don't want to dirty it up with less than perfect pieces. But that's the gamble with ebay. For $100 I can't bitch too much. You can feel the worst scratch with a finger nail, a long 5 inch scratch right at the peak of the opening. If the other flares clean up well enough, then I'll look for a single replacement.

I did see your write up and I'll be referring to it, hopefully tomorrow. Let me ask you another question, what type of screws did you use along the inner lip. This set didn't come with any. I found an old post where NASSTY says to use #10 stainless with oversize heads. I'll have to run out for something before I get started.

Old 09-10-2006, 10:56 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
These are what I use, you can get them at most any parts store or glass shop...

could use screws and washers also.... just drill smaller holes as per your screw size in place of the 1/4" holes in my write up....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear flares, different size wheel openings???