2004 - 2008 F-150

Ford spark plug tool??

Old 08-26-2006, 12:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford spark plug tool??

Do any of the Ford Dealer persons on this forum know yet if Ford actually has invented a tool so that the spark plugs can be removed (if, or should I say when, they break off )without the $1200 valve cover job????

Old 08-26-2006, 01:37 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Yes, a tool was shipped to all dealers a few months ago to remove any broken remains of the plug from the cylinder head without removing the head.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:09 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Quintin
Yes, a tool was shipped to all dealers a few months ago to remove any broken remains of the plug from the cylinder head without removing the head.
Does it work? Well?

Old 08-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Req
Quintin
Could you elaborate?

I aleady have it in my mind to sell my F-150, 5.4 at 60K miles and look for some other make of pickup. It is just not worth it to take the chance to break a plug, then have to have both heads removed to re-equlize compression retention. And, if I take it to a dealer for a plug change they charge a sack full of money, and/or, if a plug breaks they refuse to pay for pulling only one head.

On my previous F-150 I enjoyed changing plugs every 10K. Now I won't touch my rig for plugs.

Is the new broken plug tool readily available?

Old 08-26-2006, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by RockPick
Does it work? Well?
I haven't had the misfortune of having to use it personally yet, but other guys I've talked to who have said that it works pretty good, especially if the plugs broken are up front since they're easier to see.

I suppose if you really wanted to buy the tool yourself, you could get your local dealer's parts department to try ordering it through Rotunda. I'll check and see further Monday, and I'll get some pictures of it.

Old 08-26-2006, 04:53 PM
I'm in the same boat as the earlier person, I was planning to wait one more year and sell it rather than try to deal with the plugs.
The thing is, Ford People, if any are reading, I am now afraid to buy another Ford. And I used to LIKE Fords. Actually mine performs beautifully and does what I want, but not being able to change the plugs (except for a $200-$3000 fee) according to people here, is not worth it.
I will call my dealer and see if he has the tool, yet.

Old 08-26-2006, 05:46 PM
I would like too get the tool also

Old 08-26-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
here's what the tool looks like

Rotunda Special Service Tool 303-1203

Last edited by jpdadeo; 08-28-2006 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:14 PM
Hey Quintin,

On the copy of the removal tips I have for doing the plugs, it says to add Kroil while the engine is slightly warmed up every day for several days prior to doing the change.

Do you know if that procedure has been working out well?

Old 08-26-2006, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1969Mach
Hey Quintin,

On the copy of the removal tips I have for doing the plugs, it says to add Kroil while the engine is slightly warmed up every day for several days prior to doing the change.

Do you know if that procedure has been working out well?
Several days prior? I think that's a little overkill. Ford's directions say to soak 'em for 5-10 minutes prior to removing the plugs with the engine lukewarm. I don't have any Kroil either, I've been using PB Blaster. I've removed several sets from engines with as many as 35K miles without breaking any yet. They still make all kinds of scary noises coming out, but they'll come out.

Old 08-27-2006, 12:32 AM
I just got my new copy of Jegs catalog in the mail and it has the spark plug removal tool for $3.50.

Old 08-27-2006, 05:19 AM
Quintin

Several days prior? I think that's a little overkill. Ford's directions say to soak 'em for 5-10 minutes prior to removing the plugs with the engine lukewarm. I don't have any Kroil either, I've been using PB Blaster. I've removed several sets from engines with as many as 35K miles without breaking any yet. They still make all kinds of scary noises coming out, but they'll come out.
Quintin,
While these plugs are problematic, wouldn't you agree that this whole thing has been blown up beyond all proportion? I mean, we've got folks talking about selling good trucks for fear of changing plugs!
Could it be that, for the most part, the long change interval is responsible for the worst problems? I'll have my plugs changed at 25,000 miles per my mechanic. Just wanted your opinion.

Old 08-27-2006, 06:04 AM
Suspended
I like how people freak out and swear to never buy another vehicle, plan selling theirs that their currently own etc over one POTENTIAL problem that not everyone even has. By a lot. As long as you change the plugs around 50k you shouldn't have any issues. It's only an issue if you wait really long.

and even if it does break, it can be fixed with the priorly mentioned tool. Not exactly a justified reason to get rid of a truck that you "otherwise love" if you ask me. Sounds more like a cop out for other reasons...

Old 08-27-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by dixieF150scab
Quintin,
While these plugs are problematic, wouldn't you agree that this whole thing has been blown up beyond all proportion? I mean, we've got folks talking about selling good trucks for fear of changing plugs!
Could it be that, for the most part, the long change interval is responsible for the worst problems? I'll have my plugs changed at 25,000 miles per my mechanic. Just wanted your opinion.
Yes, I think the whole thing has been blown out of proportion, but there are a few simple rules of the road - don't change these plugs on a stone cold engine, and don't try it without any kind of penetrating oil.

Granted, I haven't tried pulling plugs out of an engine with 100K+ miles, but I wouldn't recommend leaving in there that long just for the sake of longevity and effiency. I can't see any spark plug maintaining peak performance and effiency past 60-70K miles or so, maybe even earlier than that.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't change these plugs on a stone cold engine

thats interesting advice. years ago it didnt matter to much as to the temperature of the engine. i have removed plenty of plugs from older engines when cold. usually made sense to keep from burning hands. then out came the aluminum heads and much damage was done removing plugs if the engine was not cold.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ford spark plug tool??