2004 - 2008 F-150

extended warranty should I buy one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2006, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
extended warranty should I buy one?

Im at 35,000 miles two years in and getting nervous. That warranty is almost out. I can get the Ford ESP for about $1000. I havent had any trouble to this point (knock on wood) but you never know. What do you guys think? Do you have one?

Thanks,

Jeff

Old 08-23-2006, 09:42 PM
its all about being prepared

Originally Posted by xdodgeguy
Im at 35,000 miles two years in and getting nervous. That warranty is almost out. I can get the Ford ESP for about $1000. I havent had any trouble to this point (knock on wood) but you never know. What do you guys think? Do you have one?

Thanks,

Jeff
when you buy a extended warrente you are gambling that your truck will be in need of a covered repair during that time frame. If your truck takes a dump during that time frame then you win the bet because you are covered.

If your truck goes the long haul with out one then your money was ill spent.

Now the Ford is gambling that your truck will make it for the long haul and hoping you will opt for peace of mind with the ESP. If they are right then that 1000 is 100% profit or free money.

So the question you have to ask yourself is how has your truck performed up to this point and how much is your peace of mind worth.

When I got my truck for Christmass, my wife front loaded my truck with an extended warrante. I a covered up to 75,000 miles or 7 years.

My rule of thumb is your truck should be under warrente for at least as long s your are making payments. and before you ask, yes my extended warrente was not cheap.

Old 08-23-2006, 11:34 PM
I picked up a 4yr/48K extended when I bought my 04 about a month ago - so I have a few years of payment left . I think it's a no-brainer...one cylinder head issue, or one tranny, etc, and you pretty much break even. Just make sure you read all the details (yeah it's a pain), make sure you understand the deductible and how it works, etc. The plan I used had 4 "levels", and the premium level was only a few hundred more than the basic so I went ahead and got the higher level.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can do a lot of repairs for $1000. Just put the $1k in the bank and save it for a problem should it arise. If it does, you've got the money. If it doesn't, well, you are $1k ahead. Do this with every new vehicle you buy, and you will build up a nice tidy some of cash in that bank account.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:26 AM
We bought one for my wife and have used it three times. You still have a deductible however the problems we had with her Explorer (and she is the only owner) have more than payed for the extended warranty.

Like rdsii64 said it depends on if you are in for the long haul. You can also buy the extended warranty from other places besides Ford and possibly save some money. I know when I got my truck my insurance company (GEICO) asked me if I wanted to purchase the plan and said it is "exactly" the same but you save a few hundred dollars.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 AM
Extended warranties are extremely profitable for those selling them and a terrible deal for those buying them.

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=43080

Old 08-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Suspended
that article is largley opinion-based.

It all comes down to A.) Whether or not you are agambling man
And B.) Whether or not you can afford to BE a gambling man

You can get 3 extra years and 36k more miles for a little over $1k.

Now, you have ANYTHING major go out in that time, and it pays for itself. anything beyond that is gravy.

However, of course, it can end up being like paying for insurance, because, well, that's what a paid-for warranty is...insurance.

It comes down to what type of history the vehicle has, and how long you plan on keeping it really.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:47 AM
It’s like insurance, if you need it it’s there and if you don’t you have the peace of mind it’s there. I say get it

Old 08-24-2006, 10:13 AM
If you are going to keep it for a while, you should get it. If the a/c system breaks that will about pay for it. It's peace of mind and good insurance!!! Get it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Peice of mind is worth it in my eyes, price out a 4x4 tranny.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:50 AM
i think it is well worth it..my wife has an 02 chevy tahoe and che has had the worse luck this year, but her extended warranty has saved our wallets!!! i say do it if you can and if you plan on keeping the truck for an extended period of time..just my pov

Old 08-24-2006, 12:39 PM
Its a gamble but I have one. Figure the kids will break the DVD player within 5 years for sure.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:46 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
I have never bought an extended warranty for any product and so far, have not been burned. When the dealer tried to sell me one on the truck, I told him that if I needed to buy an extended warranty, maybe I should have bought a Dodge, a Hundai or a Kia. He didn't say anything else.

Old 08-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bluejay432000
I have never bought an extended warranty for any product and so far, have not been burned. When the dealer tried to sell me one on the truck, I told him that if I needed to buy an extended warranty, maybe I should have bought a Dodge, a Hundai or a Kia. He didn't say anything else.
True, every business must make a profit, and they're making a good one on what they're charging you.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:31 PM
Originally Posted by Droog
True, every business must make a profit, and they're making a good one on what they're charging you.

I just bought an 04 FX4, and opted not to get the ESP. It was not Ford's, it was the dealers I went through, but the pricing was 2600 for 3yr/60 000 KM's. I priced it out, with Taxes, and Interest over 5 yrs, that plan would have cost me in the neighborhood of 3700$. I'll take the chance that over 3 yrs, I won't have anything go, that will cost me more than that. If something goes that costs up to that, then really I am breaking even.

They offer these plans for a reason, and its obviously because they make money

Quick Reply: extended warranty should I buy one?