2004 - 2008 F-150

Kenwood Ddx-6019 Vs. Pioneer Avic-z1

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 03:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looked it up on Crutchfield. The Kenwood is the only one with RDS. Eclipse and Pioneer don't.

Only bummer on the Kenwood is it doesn't have the hard drive to store songs on like the Pioneer.

I'm not even considering the Eclipse any more because it doesn't have BT or XMNavTraffic.

Only bummer with the Pioneer is the Blue buttons at night and lack of RDS.

With the Kenwood I'd have to keep my 70+ CDs in the truck and get a CD changer. Now where would I put the CD changer and the Nav system? They can't go on the floor because in the winter during all the slush and etc.

Why can't the pioneer just have changeable color buttons and RDS? Then I'd be set.

Duke

Old 05-11-2006, 03:14 PM
Why not burn your 70+ CDs to mp3 and put them on a DVD-R? One or two DVDs should be able to store all your music.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:46 PM
Or just get an iPOD!!!! I have 2000 songs at my fingertips and I put the Ipod in my glovebox so you dont even know its there! Plus, you can take all those songs anywhere you want because its portable! WOWZERS! Way better option that a cd changer.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:27 PM
Haha, like my relectuance to join the 21st century?

I've used my GF ipod, they just seem hard to page through while driving.

On the MP3 CD though. Wouldn't it not too fun to have to click through 100 songs to find the #101 that you want to listen to? Also, how do you convert WMA files to MP3?

Appreciate the help!

Thanks,

Duke

Old 05-11-2006, 04:39 PM
Well the ipod sorts the songs through artist also, so you can use the controls on your TV to play whatever song you want. Trust me, its awesome.

Old 05-11-2006, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by F150 Duke
Looked it up on Crutchfield. The Kenwood is the only one with RDS. Eclipse and Pioneer don't.

Only bummer on the Kenwood is it doesn't have the hard drive to store songs on like the Pioneer.

I'm not even considering the Eclipse any more because it doesn't have BT or XMNavTraffic.

Only bummer with the Pioneer is the Blue buttons at night and lack of RDS.

With the Kenwood I'd have to keep my 70+ CDs in the truck and get a CD changer. Now where would I put the CD changer and the Nav system? They can't go on the floor because in the winter during all the slush and etc.

Why can't the pioneer just have changeable color buttons and RDS? Then I'd be set.

Duke
Get the addon for kenwood... the Kenwood Music Keg, comes either 10 or 20 gig cards. I believe you can remove the card and dock with home computer to make it easy

LINK

Old 05-11-2006, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by 04procompLARIAT
Well the ipod sorts the songs through artist also, so you can use the controls on your TV to play whatever song you want. Trust me, its awesome.
Good point, it would be easier to sort through the songs on the 7 inch screen of the Kenwood then the IPod. Just have to add the cost of the iPod to the overall cost of the project in my analysis.

hmm, the Kenwood is looking better. Does the kenwood have a regular slot to play dvds with out having to pull the nav dvd out of the extra nav thing?

Duke

Old 05-11-2006, 04:54 PM
Good point, it would be easier to sort through the songs on the 7 inch screen of the Kenwood then the IPod. Just have to add the cost of the iPod to the overall cost of the project in my analysis.

hmm, the Kenwood is looking better. Does the kenwood have a regular slot to play dvds with out having to pull the nav dvd out of the extra nav thing?

Duke
Kenwoods nav is external, like a hide away unit.
Only downside for kenwood and eclipse they only have like 5-6 Million POIs where Pioneer has 11 Million

See the screen flips down for 1 slot, external unit is nav

Last edited by TeckBargins; 05-11-2006 at 04:58 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 04:56 PM

Duke
From what I understand, the Kenwood has a dvd slot/player on the head unit and the nav addon has everything it needs internally. So, no nav dvds necessary.

Old 05-11-2006, 05:43 PM
Well 5 to 6 million POIs is a lot. Then again 11 million is a lot more. Has anyone used both these units and know the differences in the POIs between them? Would the Kenwood be sufficient in terms of POIs?

So on the Kenwood unit itself, I could play a single CD or play a DVD (with the bypass or standing still).

Then nav would work through the nav system. Could it do multiple things at once? IE give me nav somewhere while playing a dvd or listening to music?

I'll try and find a stero shop that has one I can play with to see the features. Then probably buy and install it myself to save on the labor cost.

Would the external nav fit inside the dash on the Kenwood? Is it updateable, if so how?

Gosh, sorry for all the questions, just don't know the answers!

Thanks again,

Duke

Old 05-11-2006, 06:38 PM
Well 5 to 6 million POIs is a lot. Then again 11 million is a lot more. Has anyone used both these units and know the differences in the POIs between them? Would the Kenwood be sufficient in terms of POIs?

So on the Kenwood unit itself, I could play a single CD or play a DVD (with the bypass or standing still).

Then nav would work through the nav system. Could it do multiple things at once? IE give me nav somewhere while playing a dvd or listening to music?

I'll try and find a stero shop that has one I can play with to see the features. Then probably buy and install it myself to save on the labor cost.

Would the external nav fit inside the dash on the Kenwood? Is it updateable, if so how?

Gosh, sorry for all the questions, just don't know the answers!

Thanks again,

Duke
POI - well I was just playing around with the N3 which should have all the same 11Mil poi's and in my city with only 100k people in it had pretty much every gas station/ in n out/carls/tons of food places / leisure stuff/ list just goes on and on.

With bypass, which should be a green wire for kenwood, you just have to ground it. With Z1 you can flash your headlights on bootup. There is actually a little unit you can buy that automatically flashes headlights so you dont have to ( and you dont see your headlights flashing either )
Then you can watch video on both while parked/moving

The Z1 is a self contained unit where it has all nav / burned music on its hard drive: so no hideaway unit.
Kenwood would need Nav / Music Keg as hideaway units, usually placed under seats (front or back) I pretty positive the nav wont fit in dash.

Im not sure about the Kenwood but the Z1 should be able to have half screen of video/ half of nav ( I know you can do that with avic-n3)

Kenwood is update-able through » SD card slot for map updates

Hope I helped!

Last edited by TeckBargins; 05-11-2006 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:56 PM
I have the Kenwood DDX7017 and the Nav 4100 and love it, I was however disappointed in the Ipod kit which I added last week.

Yes the Ipod plays BUT getting my play name to come up is a job and the songs do not come up listed or anything. I have talked to Kenwood and the place I bought it at and just get "I dont Know"

I just get the word resuming displace in all section or "No Disc" showing. The installers are out of ideas and no help from Kenwood. Just thought I would at least pull up the songs on my Ipod and be able to scroll to one and choose it. So far it was not worth the money. ( The ipod kit I mean ) the rest of the system is awsome !

My Ipod sits in the bracket where the XM is now. I removed the XM

Last edited by Bigmoss; 05-11-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Originally Posted by Bigmoss
I have the Kenwood DDX7017 and the Nav 4100 and love it, I was however disappointed in the Ipod kit which I added last week.

Yes the Ipod plays BUT getting my play name to come up is a job and the songs do not come up listed or anything. I have talked to Kenwood and the place I bought it at and just get "I dont Know"

I just get the word resuming displace in all section or "No Disc" showing. The installers are out of ideas and no help from Kenwood. Just thought I would at least pull up the songs on my Ipod and be able to scroll to one and choose it. So far it was not worth the money. ( The ipod kit I mean ) the rest of the system is awsome !

My Ipod sits in the bracket where the XM is now. I removed the XM
My turn to ask away:
Do you know if buy the sirius kenwood adapter does it show serious channels and whats playing ??

How well does the nav perform?

Can you do half movie/half nav on screen?

Thanks, and looks great!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:40 PM
TeckBargains,

Thanks for all the help!

The big problem with the Z1 for me (which is ****, but still) is the fact that the buttons are blue at night and not green to match the rest of the truck. It also doesn't have RDS, which I REALLY like a lot. Other than that, it has every that I perfectly want.

Guess I'm stuck between the two.

Duke

Old 05-13-2006, 01:57 AM
OK DUKE! You win..i talked to the guys at Pioneer and they made a green-button Z1 JUST for you.

Last edited by steve293; 05-13-2006 at 02:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Kenwood Ddx-6019 Vs. Pioneer Avic-z1