2004 - 2008 F-150

Forded Huge Mudhole, Now Cylinder Misfire's?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Forded Huge Mudhole, Now Cylinder Misfire's?

Here is the video pulling out the chevy I speak about later in the thread.

I've read the trouble code meant a misfire, which is very possible as the water went over my hood. I will have a video to show hopefully by the end of the week. I met up with a large club called MudMashers(.com) 4wdc and dropped a few jaws doing the hole. It was full of water and my truck crawled in and out, twice (went back through to make sure it wasn't a fluke as the trucks you'll see surrounding the pit all struggled, but also made it). It went over my hood and I'll show you the pics to prove it (the way the mud flowed over the hood, it's obvious what happened). Anyways, I need to know what trouble code P1299 is. I've searched and yielded the failsafe cooling mode, which also happened on the trail. I forgot to place my fuses back in my e-fans and it overheated, no biggie (went into coolsafe mode so I shut it off, opened hood and started fan). This will be a good video to look forward to, hope he sends it. I had a blast and will show the pics soon guys, sorry to keep you waiting!

Ps. To be clear, all I have is a P1299, but I've read that it either means a cylinder misfire or engine went into coolsafe mode (either is very possible, I'm hoping for the latter).

Last edited by Josiah; 04-23-2006 at 03:19 PM.
Old 04-22-2006, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't help on the code, but I am looking forward to your vid. and pics

Old 04-22-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by campinfamily
I can't help on the code, but I am looking forward to your vid. and pics
I think you'll be pleased, this one even had me sweatin it. There were several close calls this trip, I wish I had them on video. I also pulled out a built 454ci Chevy, older truck. He had front/rear lockers, busted his front end and fell off the edge, he was stuck and pulled him out no problem. Weighed 7500lbs supposedly, hardly slipped during the pull on loose gravel. I have that on a camera phone but it's a pretty good phone, I'll get the pics and vids soon, just let me clean everything up

Old 04-22-2006, 09:06 PM
p1299... Cylinder head overtemp protection active.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Josiah..sounds like yet another great weekend for you. I can't wait to see the video and pictures ( but you already know that..LOL)

Everything I can find shows that P1299 code to be the engine overheat. So it looks like you're in good shape.

BREW

Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 PM

I hope it's asking me to refill the truck with coolant. I won't drain it just, top it off. And Brew I know you're excited, I told you I'd have video. I was so pissed my video went out towards the middle of the trip. I went offtrail and into the creekbed, the rocks got larger and larger. Another guy with an older chevy and 454, also locked f+r was just ahead of us. Crazy bastard hit both diffs numerous times and SLAMMED on the gas everytime. Said he broke his front end every time he's came out. I got stuck exactly where he did but was able to finally get over it. I have damage to show for that to my a-arms and front driveshaft (ujoints). I must've been stuck for 10 minutes on that rock, I landed on my rear diff, my front crossmember, etc numerous times and couldn't get out of that to save myself. Farkin scariest night of my life. Pulled that Jeep who tagged along up a few hills

Anyways, he did pretty well on ruts whereas I did not fair too well. Although I can say I made it up everything I tried on my own power...except for one hill. I have video's trying to get up it. Very steep hill, tried it about 3-4 times and never quite made it but came close. There are a few hills I couldn't make it up actually, but I would have tried a little harder had I had nitrogen in my left shock :P

By far the funnest trip I've had.

Old 04-22-2006, 09:58 PM
Old 04-22-2006, 10:41 PM
Man!! you should've got a jeep. Or atleast quit abusing your Lariat so much!! Sounds like you might have got a coil pack wet when you tried to sink it in the mudd. I got a coil pack wet on a previous 5.4 and it ran like chit, you could tell that it was down a cylinder

good luck, can't wait to see the video!

Old 04-22-2006, 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by mwheue
Appreciate the comments guys, and thanks Mwheue. That was my only code so I don't think it could mean a coilpack got wet as well or I'm sure it'd throw a CEL for that as well.

Old 04-22-2006, 11:15 PM

Here are the pics of the damage. You can see where the mud/water was flowing over the hood. The truck has even more scratches to sport. RP...go away

Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 AM
OH MY GOSH

Old 04-23-2006, 12:59 AM
looks like you had a hell of a lot of fun. i gotta see that video

Old 04-23-2006, 01:23 AM

Well here is a small video pulling that chevy out. He slid down the embankment into the tiny creek. That creek gets much worse as you go down.

Here is the video (might still be uploading at the time of this post, so give it a few minutes and check back). I believe he's putting 450ft lbs down at 2k rpms

Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 AM

Hate to repost but I just remembered a funny part about it. The guy went off to climb a hill and everyone went their own route to get there, well nobody showed up and he ended up doing what he did (however he did it). Anyways, I am driving to where he's supposed to be and I see him walking over the hill like out of a movie (coming out of the haze), I roll down my window and notice something in his hand..."Where's your truck?" He holds up the piece in his hand and says, "Right here." I go, "tell me you didn't roll it..." I could sense the modesty in his face and knew he did a little more than what he was going to say, "I lost my front end." I was like, "where are you going then...you need a ride back to camp?" He goes, "Well yeah, but I could use a yank too." "Why in the hell do you need a yank?...nevermind, get in." So he hops in and I come around the bend to see his truck like it lies in the beginning video just wondering, with a small crowd of onlooking dirtbikers. Thats where the video comes in. He's on 38" Hawgs.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:42 AM
i wanna see this video but its not working for me. I get audio but no video

Quick Reply: Forded Huge Mudhole, Now Cylinder Misfire's?