2004 - 2008 F-150

Phaser (Fazer?) Issues & Engine Noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2006, 12:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phaser (Fazer?) Issues & Engine Noise *One Final Q on Pg2*

Since I got the truck back in Oct 04, I never cared for the way the engine ran. Far too much "noise" for me. Always seemed like it was coming from the heads. Each time I took it into the Ford place for an oil change, I was told "Oh its nothing" or "Oh it just needs the oil changed" but it was never addressed no matter how I complained.

Low and behold, when I take the truck back for its latest oil change and complain YET AGAIN about the noise, and my fiance is present, all of a sudden, since HE said he heard the noise, they hear it. Amazing, isnt it?

So Im told its the phaser (fazer, I dunno how to spell it) in the engine. Basically we have adjustable cams and the phaser adjusts the timing as the truck needs it? Dont ask me. I know about timing and cams, but on older 5.0 Ford engines, not these new high-tech models.

Regardless, I said I dont care, FIX IT. Of course they had to have the truck for days and I had to do everything except pull teeth to get them to cover a rental car, since the truck came with this, its nothing I did, and I had been ignored regarding it for MONTHS.

So I get the truck back. About 2 wks later, the SAME noise is back. Its coming from the passenger side of the engine. I know its in the heads and has something to do with the rotating part of the engine as the "ticking" speeds up and slows down with the RPMs.

LONG story short, does ANY one know what in the world this phaser thing does, in lamens terms??? I am so utterly FED UP with this Ford dealership. I am going to go to their sister dealership on the other side of town and give them the opportunity to fix the truck as well, and if they cant, well, they'll have one pissed off woman to deal with. Much less the added fuel of being disregarded and ignored due to the fact I dont have the male appendage swinging between my legs.

BTW, yeh, when I pulled in for my oil change appt, my fiance gets out of the PASSENGER side, and a guy walks up, looks at him and asks how he can help him. I tell him IM here for an oil change. So he leaves and comes back and proceeds to tell my fiance, AGAIN, that someone will be out to help him. UHM HELLO. I get out of the DRIVERS side. The customer listed for the appt is a FEMALE with an obvious female name, and I TELL him its my truck. WTF. Anyways, just had to get that out too.

Any help would be appreciated. Much less, what, if any, recourse if they attempt to fix this and are unable?

Last edited by IxITeLLyIxI; 04-13-2006 at 12:43 AM.
Old 04-12-2006, 06:20 AM
they should have done both sides.....if you want to see what they replace look in my gallery.....i had a chance to snap some pics of the engine still in teardown mode......i had mine both done at the same time......i would see if they just did one side and not the other. good luck. click on my truck to get to the gallery.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a similar issue with my '05 when it was new. My 13 year old son said "Geez dad, I thought you said is wasn't a diesel?" Yes, it was loud. So I checked with my dealer (Shepard Ford in Canandaigua, NY - super folks to deal with) and they said Ford had some issues with noisy cam phasers in the 5.4's. Then they floored me by saying they didn't want to fix it just yet. Their reasoning? They didn't like the first fix Ford was using. My truck was the first one they did with the second fix and it's perfect now. They did both sides on my truck. Maybe you need a dealer like mine?

Old 04-12-2006, 12:37 PM
Not sure what is does or where its at but I was reading some post about it and relized I had the same sound from the same area. Short story took it to ford here in Tempe, AZ and they got it to make the sound and are fixing it as I type under warrenty. just take it in and dont let them give you crap about it. Speak up and print off the TSB that way they cant deny its a problem.

Old 04-12-2006, 12:46 PM
If there is a TSB number for this, anybody got it? My truck has a that "diesel" sounds to it also.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:26 PM
I am pickup my 06' up today. Anyone know if the 06' has the issues? If so, should I have them fix this before delivery?

Old 04-12-2006, 01:37 PM
Originally Posted by paulphilly
I am pickup my 06' up today. Anyone know if the 06' has the issues? If so, should I have them fix this before delivery?
How do you fix something that's not broken yet?

Not every truck out the door is going to have the problem, but it is a fairly common one.

When I had mine in for other warranty work as well, they replaced mine (noisy from about the second day I owned the truck). The service manager told me that it was an easy thing to fix and didn't take very long. Surprises me to hear of people being without their truck for days to fix it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after I found out my own dealership had only spent about 3 hours on my truck during the first week when it was in there for the drivetrain vibration.

Old 04-12-2006, 01:55 PM
Originally Posted by quackrstackr
How do you fix something that's not broken yet?

Not every truck out the door is going to have the problem, but it is a fairly common one.

When I had mine in for other warranty work as well, they replaced mine (noisy from about the second day I owned the truck). The service manager told me that it was an easy thing to fix and didn't take very long. Surprises me to hear of people being without their truck for days to fix it. I guess I shouldn't be surprised after I found out my own dealership had only spent about 3 hours on my truck during the first week when it was in there for the drivetrain vibration.
Actually, I meant that I would have the dealership go ahead and do the TSB on the cam phaser if the 06's had the TSB as well.

I sure hope that Ford has fixed the driveline vibration issue. Surely, the 06 models should have most of the kinks worked out!

Old 04-12-2006, 03:05 PM
Suspended
Can someone post the TSB for the cam phaser in this thread?

Old 04-12-2006, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by ThumperMX113
Can someone post the TSB for the cam phaser in this thread?
I don't have the text, but the number on my paperwork was TSB 5-15-8

Old 04-12-2006, 06:49 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I replaced the passenger's side phaser on my truck, much mo betta at idle, but there's still a light knock from the driver's side.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:03 PM
Well at least Im not crazy in the fact that Im STILL hearing this. I am totally fed up with this dealership. And I about die when I hear their commercials on the radio about how people love to do business with them b/c of their GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE. Ha. I WORK in customer service. Dont even try to claim that with me.

Anyways, showing my ignorance, what is the TSB? Im going to look online and check out if there are any recalls and google "tsb".

The sound is still coming from the passenger side. But Lord knows if they even FIXED what they said they did. And they had to "order a special part" and it only takes a few days and Ford doesnt supply cars to drive while they fix their effed up trucks. I am so totally over the whole thing.

Basically, if I take it back again, and then a final 3rd time, and they are unable to fix this, what happens then? My fiance said I can still claim lemon law? Ive never had issues like this before so Im really in the dark.

Im going to go check out your gallery too and see the pics.

Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming.

Old 04-12-2006, 10:07 PM
Suspended
I really don't think its that big of a deal. These new motors are in fact a lot louder and make different noises than previous generations.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:31 PM
TSB = Technical Service Bulletin

People keep saying these motors are loud, but the only thing you hear on mine now is the air from the fan spinning while you're standing right next to it. Changing that cam phaser made a world of difference on my truck. Before I could hear the diesel clang while sitting in the cab. Sounded horrible when you went through a bank or fast food drive thru and it bounced off the wall.

Old 04-13-2006, 12:36 AM
quack, thats exactly my point. I know its not doing any harm, but I dont want to hear it, period.

Im going to check out the TSB. Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Phaser (Fazer?) Issues & Engine Noise