2004 - 2008 F-150

HELP ASAP: Bed Rails and Bed Cap Problems!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 10:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ASAP: Bed Rails and Bed Cap Problems!

My fiance and my parents got me bed rails and step sides for my truck. The only problem is with the bed rails. They are the no drill kind and have that rubber piece that expands when you tighten the screw and fills up the big square hole on the top edge of the bed. Well, I have those bed caps, those plastic things along the edge of my bed. They were supposed to fit over them, but theres like a 1/4" grap behind where the bed rail sits on the truck and where the plastic starts around (basically the bed rail cup that sits on the truck isnt fitting exactly over the hole).

My fiance was going to take the caps off, but when we started to, it just didnt look like they were SUPPOSED to be taken off, and it would look bad.

Am I just doomed not to have my bed rails? Is there a special type to get? The part says that its good for my style truck.. but its not working.

We were so excited to put them on when I got home from work.. but its not happening.

Help guys!

Old 03-10-2006, 10:58 PM
Not to be a jerk but search works most of the time! https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=bed+rails

Oh, by the way the bed caps do come off you just need to be careful and pry it up slow.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:04 PM
Yeh, I read those posts, but most of them only spoke about if they looked good or what to do with the caps, not the 2 together.

I found like 2 pics of the bed rails with the caps, so apparently there are brands that fit over this.

Anyone care to offer the brands that fit over these caps?

And yes, the caps come off, but did you see the pic of what it looks like underneith? POS is what it looks like. So no, the caps will not be removed.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:19 PM
You have to get a set for these trucks. If the set you have is to fit your truck you will have to cut the stake pocket out for the rail to fit, as someone showed in the thread I linked.
The caps come off and can be put back if you watch how you pull it off. I have removed mine a few time to coat my bed. No problems.

Here is another link
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...ight=bed+rails

If you messed up your bed caps there is a set of diamond and flat stainless stell caps that will go on these beds. If your need links to a brand I can post them. Let me know.

Old 03-10-2006, 11:29 PM
Did you get both caps off?

Old 03-11-2006, 12:44 AM
We got 1 of them 1/2 way off when I made him stop. It looks like crap without the cap on there so I made him put it back on. We emailed the company he got them from so we are awaiting a reply, as far as if he has the ones specifically for the trucks with the bed caps or not. If he doesnt, we will return and I think I found some (I saw them posted in one of those threads) from the F150 online store, and it shows them OVER the bed caps, but it says they have to be bolted in? What exactly do you bolt them to? The stake hole covers??? A little lost there.

I REALLY like the look of the diamond plate, but I think WITH the bed rails, it may be a little much? Maybe the black wouldnt be so bad but I dunno.. I just got the bed rails and step sides.. one at a time.. one at a time. Hoping he buys me rims and tires for our wedding present.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:51 AM
Ok wait... reading some of the other threads... everyones bed rails cuppler part (the metal part that mates with the truck) looks different than mine. The ones we have are square in shape, very similar to the bed caps pop out cover over the stake pockets. But they are like 1/4" off as far as where they sit over the hole and where the rubber chunk sits in the actual pocket... Oy vey, Ill have to take pics of it tomorrow or Sunday. Point being, they dont fit.

Do all the bed rails come in 3 pieces? With the center part, and then the 2 end caps seperate? Im not TOO crazy about how it looks without being solid, but I guess they are all like that?

Please tell me the step sides just bolt on????

Old 03-11-2006, 09:15 PM
Originally Posted by IxITeLLyIxI
I REALLY like the look of the diamond plate, but I think WITH the bed rails, it may be a little much? Maybe the black wouldnt be so bad but I dunno.. I just got the bed rails and step sides.. one at a time.. one at a time. Hoping he buys me rims and tires for our wedding present.
My father-in-law has a blue and Az. beige lariat with the bed rails and diamond bed caps. It looks good, the caps don't really show that muck from the side.

The steps should just bolt on to factory holes already in the frame. I had mine installed at a local shop. I was only $20 for them to do it and only took 15 min to complete.

Good luck with the truck and the wedding!

Quick Reply: HELP ASAP: Bed Rails and Bed Cap Problems!