2004 - 2008 F-150

Are your heat vents and blower like this?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 11:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are your heat vents and blower like this?

Excluding one bad vibration that occurred after I used my parking brake I really like me truck. But I have one complaint.

I have an '06 XLT with manual climate control. Temperature control seems fine, but when I put the vents on the "floor" setting it does switch to the floor (mostly) but I don't have much flow coming out on the drivers side - seems ok on passenger side. When its cold in the morning I like a nice blast of hot air on my feet and I can't get it in this truck and its bugging me. I wonder if something under the dash doesn't just need to be adjusted to fix this. Also when I switch the vent control to be split between dash vents and floor it seems like almost nothing goes to floor.

Another odd thing - I think. There is always some air flowing out of the defrost vents and especially the vents next to the windows. Only time it doesn't come out of those is if I put the vents on dash only.

Also when I have the vents set to the floor, not only does it still come out the defrost vents and window vents somewhat like I mentioned above, it also comes out of the dash vents as well. Not a ton mind you but enough that when I have the heat set high I have to manually close the vents on the dash since they seem to dry my eyes out after a while. Every othe vehicle I have ever owned when you set it for the floor you get absolutely nothing out of the dash vents.

I'm thinking something must be out of wack - this shouldn't be normal. When I had my truck in for that one bad vibe, which of course hasn't happened since so they can't find the problem with that, I had the dealer look into the air coming out of the dash vents but of course they told me that it was normal. Like I said its not blasting out of their but I just think nothing should come out.

Last edited by jdew1920; 01-27-2006 at 08:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2006, 01:03 AM
I have had the same experience with my '05. I'm going to have the shop look at it when I finally take it in for its first oil change.

Old 01-27-2006, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats a hard to understand observation (maybe I'm just tired). But when you put it on floor there are vents underneath the front two seats, they shoot into the back. I doubt that helps you much but it's hard to tell what you're asking.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:08 AM
Originally Posted by Josiah
Thats a hard to understand observation (maybe I'm just tired). But when you put it on floor there are vents underneath the front two seats, they shoot into the back. I doubt that helps you much but it's hard to tell what you're asking.
I was referring to the vents that blow out from underneath the dash. In most vehicles you get a good flow of air right at your feet - but not with this truck, at least on the drivers side.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:30 AM
Originally Posted by Fritz_H
I have had the same experience with my '05. I'm going to have the shop look at it when I finally take it in for its first oil change.
Fritz - do you have air continuously coming out of the defrost and window vents?

Old 01-27-2006, 03:23 PM
jdew1920, this is exactly how my '05 XLT Screw works, too. I haven't owned a Ford in a while, I just figured this was an idiosyncrasy of Ford trucks...

Old 01-27-2006, 03:39 PM
Originally Posted by JS2003
jdew1920, this is exactly how my '05 XLT Screw works, too. I haven't owned a Ford in a while, I just figured this was an idiosyncrasy of Ford trucks...
All I've ever owned were Fords and this is the first one like this. I could understand having air flow at the mirror vents all the time to avoid foggy windows - plus with it blowing over there it doesn't really bother me. But why in the world would they make it so it never completely cuts off the air flow to the defrost or dash vents. And damnit, I want some hot air on my feet!

Anybody have one that doesn't work like this?

Old 01-27-2006, 04:02 PM
My '05 XLT's vents work the exact same way, so I think it's just the way Ford designed these trucks. I actually don't mind it since it helps keep the windows from fogging up in the winter. But I totally understand the lack of heat on the feet and wish it put more out down there.

Old 01-27-2006, 04:30 PM
I've never noticed any difference. I'll check tomorrow when its cool enough to have the heat on. All I'm sure of right now...is if I turn it on floor on the number 2 setting....my feet get extremely hot.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally Posted by jdew1920
Fritz - do you have air continuously coming out of the defrost and window vents?
Just a little - little enough that I'm ok with the flap leakage.

Old 01-27-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't know about all this.........mine work damn good. I put it on floor, I get full floor and the upper vents shut off completely. I can still feel heat presence there if I had just turned them off but NOWHERE near enough to dry my eyes out, like no volume or flow whatsoever. The little side vents at the windows and defroster also shut off completely unless I have one of the 2 defroster selections on. My rear vents work with the front controls perfectly too. I select floor and the center vents in the rear shut off. If I were to put it on floor first thing in the morning and as the truck heats up, the upper vents will still be almost completely cold until I turn them on. Something sounds like it is wrong......

Old 01-27-2006, 09:51 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some air coming from the defrost vents regardless of position is normal, since defrost is the default position. If all vacuum was lost for the different mode door motors, they'd automatically flip to defrost.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:07 PM
Yup, my 05 does the same thing! It's really annoying when it starts to fog up the side windows.

Old 01-27-2006, 11:16 PM
I could live with the leakage - or whatever you want to call it to the defrost and even the dash vents, but the floor selection is what bugs me most. Its probably amplified by the fact that when I put the heat on the lower vent setting and run the fan at max I feel more heat on my face than I do on my feet. At a lower fan setting the air flow out of the upper dash vents is barely noticable.

I was looking down there today and noticed that on the passenger side there is nothing obstructing the flow out of the lower vents, but on the drivers side they have that black plastic wrapping around and in front of the vent. They did put some slits in the plastic but maybe not enough. Maybe the damn vent is just blocked off on the drivers side. I'll look closer tomorrow.

I really don't think theree should be any leakage to the other vents when they are not selected. I've never seen that before in my vehicles.

Matt - yours works like I would expect it to. I've got the split bench seat so maybe yours is different, but could you check down near where the lower vent is for the drivers side and see if it is totally unobstructed or if there is some plastic infront of it - or if anybody else wants to check that would be great. Just curious.

Last edited by jdew1920; 01-27-2006 at 11:20 PM.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:27 PM
I have a split bench also and have the plastic slits on my drivers side vent. It's ridiculous that on high heat on a floor setting that the heater blows directly onto your face there has to be a cure for this problem.

Quick Reply: Are your heat vents and blower like this?