2004 - 2008 F-150

EDGE Evolution intitial impressions

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 12:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd like to make a programmer my first real mod. I kinda miss the throttle response of the manual I had in my 5-speed s-10 with E-fan, and MSD6AL box. The delay is at least a second right now. The F150 has more than twice the HP my S-10 has, but it feels more sluggish before it winds up. Off the line torque is still mucho bueno though.

Old 12-30-2005, 12:55 AM
How does it calculate 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?

Old 12-30-2005, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by hwm3
How does it calculate 0-60 and 1/4 mile times?
Magic.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:13 AM
kmk
Question

Can one adjust low idle for ASP pulleys? ASP pulleys need to run at about 850 RPM for the charging system to operate properly.

Old 12-30-2005, 01:22 AM
No, the book doesn't list that as one of the thing that can be customized.

Old 12-30-2005, 03:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by gobra
I think MM25FTX left to go do some "Josiah" 0-60 runs....

No harm intended Josiah, BTW
You just haaaad to throw it in eh.

I am heading to Disneyland in about 6 hours, it's a 6 hour drive from here. I will be there over new years and I just got my Troyer tuned XCal2. My truck is not a whole new truck, but it is much quicker. Firmer shifts? I think not, I had Troyer tune it as aggressive as he could, but I would call them much more violent shifts, nothing smooth or firm about them (however I like it this way), they launch you forward right after shifting, big plus. It now shifts to about 5300 rpms or so (supposed to be 5400 but it looks a tad under, maybe due to instrument lag). I'll post a complete review when I get back, I love the tune (I am running 91 perf). I don't think it will improve my gas mileage at all, and I feel my truck has reached it's peak from bolt-on's, but I have yet to install my pulley's. The total cost with the f150online discount was $47x.xx. I actually would like the edge programmer's interface with Troyer's tuning. The documentation is pretty personalized that troyer includes with the xcal2 but it could be a "common" document as well. I wish it listed everything he changed from stock (rpm shifts, new speed limiter, etc). I have yet to play around with it but I should clear my check engine light (CEL) before I head out on the road. I need to make a post about how to change the rotors & pads. The 2 bolts behind the calipers are rusted and stripped! What is a good way to loosen stripped bolts?

Old 12-30-2005, 04:54 AM
You do not need custom tuning on a truck with bolt ons. The edge is the ticket for sure. Quick load times (under 15 seconds to change tunes). Up to four digital gauges with programable warnings. Any color out of almost one million color different color combinations. You cant go wrong. Custom tuning a truck with minor boltons; is like buying potenza s-03s and putting them on a 86 honda accord. Whereas the edge fits the bill all around because you have your base tunes, but you have alot of adjustablity all around if you know what your doing. This reminds me of my diablo just 10x better.

Old 12-30-2005, 10:54 AM
Originally Posted by Newt
Hell, everyone knows that. That's why you put the stock tune back in before taking it back to the dealer. And, also why I won't use the dash mounted pod. Might be hard to explain that empty hole
is this true? if so i'm not selling it. i was under the impression that if the chip was installed recently that it would still show if you put it back to stock.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by expy03
I like the unit, would have bought it anyway. Just makes me wonder if this whole thing wasn't started to get a bunch of units out there as a marketing ploy by EDGE. Wondered about it before. I hope that's not what it was.

i assure you that's not true. i was just showing everyone the new unit i had. i had no idea it would turn into this.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:11 AM
Originally Posted by Smeezy 05 Screw
is this true? if so i'm not selling it. i was under the impression that if the chip was installed recently that it would still show if you put it back to stock.
I would just keep it. I would imagine your damage is already done in regard to changing tunes. I don't know for sure but I would imagine ford would be smart enough to have any reflashes leave a digital footprint in the form of a timestamp when you change them up.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
I would just keep it. I would imagine your damage is already done in regard to changing tunes. I don't know for sure but I would imagine ford would be smart enough to have any reflashes leave a digital footprint in the form of a timestamp when you change them up.
Pure speculation... Run everyone... the sky is falling.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:29 AM
Suspended
It hasn't caused any "damage" anyways but if you return your truck to stock you do have to do a drive-cycle to get rid of the tuner precense completely. I have had a few friends who blew their heads on their 6.0s with stacked chips and they just returned it to stock and took them in with no problems.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:32 AM
If you have a real **** dealer, they can tell if the battery has been disconnected recently. Some could interprete this to be taking your tuner off. If you have a planned trip to the dealer, reinstall the stock tune a week before. Then you have enough drive cycles they can't tell squat. If they say anything tell them you were working on the stereo & disconnected the battery.

I think this has been beat to death on the Troyer forum

Old 12-30-2005, 11:37 AM
Originally Posted by minus_13
Pure speculation... Run everyone... the sky is falling.
Doesn't bother me any. Shoot, my edge is being shipped to me as we speak. Do I worry about my dealer? Nope.

Old 12-30-2005, 11:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smeezy,
The only thing left behind from a reflash (that I know of ) is a code that says the pcm has been reset, this code will clear itself in a few driving cycles and its the same code that will show if you just disconnect the battery to reset the pcm....

If you go in for a smog check in states that have it and they see the reset code, you fail the test....Because people will set around the corner from the test center, disconnect the battery, reset the CEL and get tested quick before its back on....

I have a 75/72 warrenty on my truck....I say keep it, use it, REMOVE IT and drive the truck 3 to 5 driving cycles before going the dealer

Everyone should do that anyway, if you go in to the dealer for service and they reflash your pcm, then your programer is VIN LOCKED and is not useable intil sent back to the factory to be released... this is not done for free, it will cost you.....

Quick Reply: EDGE Evolution intitial impressions