2004 - 2008 F-150

Lowering Shackles and Towing

Old 12-05-2005, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lowering Shackles and Towing

Does anyone else ever do any towing with the lowering shackles and no shims?

I installed some DJM drop shackles a couple of weeks ago and didnt intall the shims (DJM's dont come with them). I used the 2 inch hole and the truck looks perfect and no vibe at all. The other day I had to deliver a golf cart, so I hook up the trailer and load the cart. I notice a small vibe with the cart on the trailer. I had to go to the car wash to clean off the cart and when I load it back on the trailer I back the cart up some for less tongue weight. I only noticed the vibe when the cart was pulled farther forward on the trailer. This was the firt time I have towed with the shackles, but I will be towing quite a bit. I was wondering if the weight of the cart was enough to put the driveshaft in enough of an angle to cause the vibe??

Old 12-05-2005, 06:49 PM
its possible, but i would bet that your vibe was more from the trailer itself. youll just have to find the right spot to put the cart on the trailer. i towed a 65 galaxie home on a full floor car hauler with my shackles, it did fine, but it did sag just a little. give me a break, the stuff iw as towing weighed more than my truck

Old 12-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I would fix the hight of the ball hitch, it is a bit high for that trailer

Old 12-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
I would fix the hight of the ball hitch, it is a bit high for that trailer

What he said

Old 12-06-2005, 01:14 AM
I have the DJM shackles without shims as well, and I pull my Polaris Sportsman 700 all the time and never get any vibe. I agree I think you need to get a hitch with a little bit of a drop to it.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:52 AM
The trailer sits almost perfectly level. I think that pic is a little deceiving:

I might order the shims and install them anyway, they cant hurt. Plus when I haul my tractor or travel trailer I dont want to have to deal with the vibe.

Old 12-06-2005, 11:05 AM
some trailers will do it, some wont. i've towed a tandem jet ski trailer with no problems at all with shackles, but i towed a 16' open trailer that gave me a vibe around 50 then stopped around 55-60 and that was BEFORE my shackles. its just depends on the trailer i guess.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lowering Shackles and Towing