2004 - 2008 F-150

URGENT: Hardwired Radar, now radio wont turn on..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
URGENT: Hardwired Radar, now radio wont turn on..HELP!

I hardwired my radar to my radio power lead (LG/YL wire) by splicing. Didn't cut harness, but cut off jacket and spliced. Radar turned on just fine when I tested it by itself in ACC, but when I plugged in my radio and turned on the truck to try it all out and make sure it all worked, neither work now. Radar nor radio.

Oddly enough, the radio will allow me to eject CD's, and everytime I plug in the harness to the radio, the cd changer will make its noises..but I can't turn the radio on. No clock, no radio, no CD, nothing... No power to the radar as well...

HELP!! At this point I disconnected the radar cable, and its just the harness to the radio. I've checked fuse #1 (accessories, xlt/stx radio), fuse #7 (radio start), and fuse #31 (radio power).. but nothing..

Help me out here At least help me get my radio power back!

Last edited by SSpiro; 12-03-2005 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please don't think I am being a smarta$$, but a fear of screwing something like the radio up by wiring into it is why I just keep it simple with the fuse box hardwire.

Good luck getting it going.

Old 12-03-2005, 04:54 PM
^^^^ smarta$$

Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Originally Posted by 04 RED LARIAT
Please don't think I am being a smarta$$, but a fear of screwing something like the radio up by wiring into it is why I just keep it simple with the fuse box hardwire.

Good luck getting it going.
How did you wire yours? Right to the fuse box? Tell me how, so that I can do this right the second time.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:02 PM
Moderator &

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Let's try to HELP please...

Old 12-03-2005, 05:09 PM
Originally Posted by RockPick
Let's try to HELP please...
:o sorry Brad, just playing around. I too would be interested in where you wired it in Ryan, I need to do this mod myself...that dangling cord is getting old.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:13 PM
I would not consider mine a good install because it has a constant power, so you have to remember to cut the detector off. Like I said I have a fear of cutting into wiring for the radio or mirror power supply.

Just pull a fuse and stick the hot wire in with the fuse prong then ground it to your choice location.

Old 12-03-2005, 05:16 PM
Are any of the add-a-circuit's any good? Any of them configurable for a switched/ACC circuit?

I also have to hardwire the power cable to my GPS unit as well..

EITHER WAY - I still need to get my radio working *cry*

Last edited by SSpiro; 12-03-2005 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Are any of the add-a-circuit's any good? Any of them configurable for a switched/ACC circuit?

I also have to hardwire the power cable to my GPS unit as well..

EITHER WAY - I still need to get my radio working *cry*
You may have severed the wire at the splice.

I think you probably used one of those splices that have the wires next to each other and you crimp down a piece metal to make contact. Then you fold the plastic over it and clip it shut.

Using those type connector can actually cut the wire in half. Try to remove the installed splice and look see if you cut any or all of the strands in the wire.

Good luck...

Old 12-03-2005, 07:05 PM
Well I didn't thoroughly read everything but 04 RED LARIAT a lil late SSpiro I think you might have cut off some of the actual wire even if you think you didn't it might need to have a solid connection. I would strip both wires back a lil further and heat shrink (or something like that) them together. Then you can try diconnecting the battery to reset everything. For future reference I would home wire it. There is a fuse that you can wire to that it will turn off and on with the truck. What I did is get one long wire and ran it to the fuse box, then strip the ends off the plug, with the negative ground it to the closest body metal and then twist or shrink wrap the positive end and the end from the fuse box. I will take a peek to let you all know what # fuse it is.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by canyonslicker
You may have severed the wire at the splice.

I think you probably used one of those splices that have the wires next to each other and you crimp down a piece metal to make contact. Then you fold the plastic over it and clip it shut.

Using those type connector can actually cut the wire in half. Try to remove the installed splice and look see if you cut any or all of the strands in the wire.

Good luck...
I didn't.. I actually used a splice knife to strip back the jacket, then spliced in.

Remember guys.. I can still eject or load CD's.. so it has power from somewhere.. That's the confusing part..

Old 12-03-2005, 07:21 PM
first of all i believe fuse 22 is an ignition fuse. I am really sorry I can't think of anything else. I am not sure if the radios have built in fuses it wouldn't suprise me you might want to ask around. Does anyone know if the stock radios have fuses?

Old 12-03-2005, 07:23 PM
Some OEM radios will only work in the vehicle it was installed into.

I am not sure if our trucks have this but if it does then perhaps the radar may have radiated a signal into it. Causing it to not detect the truck code.

It's just a thought and may want to disconnect the battery for about ten minutes like etrevino suggested.

If that works then move your radar power elsewhere.

Old 12-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by canyonslicker
It's just a thought and may want to disconnect the battery for about ten minutes like etrevino suggested.
Didn't work

Old 12-03-2005, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Didn't work
Pull the radio back out and make sure the connector is good and that none of the pins are bent. The connector may not be completely seated in the HU also.

Kevin

Quick Reply: URGENT: Hardwired Radar, now radio wont turn on..HELP!