2004 - 2008 F-150

URGENT: Hardwired Radar, now radio wont turn on..HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2005, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just hardwired my Satellite radio this morning into my truck. FOund the green/yellow (I think it was it) wire and spliced it off of the radio. After I plugged it back in, it sat there and made a lot of racket for about 45 seconds or so. I think it went through there and loaded every single cd before it came back to life.

I would take a voltage meter and make sure your getting 12volts to your radio.

Old 12-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Originally Posted by FX4_Guy
I just hardwired my Satellite radio this morning into my truck. FOund the green/yellow (I think it was it) wire and spliced it off of the radio. After I plugged it back in, it sat there and made a lot of racket for about 45 seconds or so. I think it went through there and loaded every single cd before it came back to life.

I would take a voltage meter and make sure your getting 12volts to your radio.
Same racket I got..

I'll have to check it out again tomorrow. I have a feeling a circuit breaker or relay or something is blown somewhere. I've searched for this problem, and found 3 or 4 similiar threads with the same problem, but no responses or posted solutions

Old 12-04-2005, 12:49 AM
I've been thinking about this. The radio has two sources of power: a 12volt switched and a 12volt constant. I'd almost be willing to bet that your 12volt switched is messed up. I believe its the green/yellow wire. I know that I when I have my key out of the ignition I can always load or eject CD's. Therefore that funtion should be on the 12volt constant power source. When we turn the key it activates the 12switched...which allows the head unit to function fully. I would check the 12volt switched source when your key is on and make sure the wire is getting power.

If not....maybe you can find a wiring diagram to tell which wires to what and start the process of elimination.

Old 12-04-2005, 12:54 PM
From another thread awhile back. Hope it helps!

F150 2004 2005 2006 MY Radio Wiring
LG-VT
voltage supplied at all times overload protected
LG-YE
accessory delay relay output
LB-RD
instrument illumination
BK
ground
OG-LG
left front (+)
GY-LB
left rear (+)
OG-RD
right rear (+)
WH-LG
right front (+)
DG-OG
right front (-)
BK-LG
ground
GY-BK
vehicle speed signal
RD-BK
voltage supplied in start overload protected
LB-RD
steering wheel signal
DG-OG
steering wheel signal return
DB
parking aid mute
LB-WH
left front (-)
TN-YE
left rear (-)
BR-PK
right rear (-)
BK - Black, BR - Brown, BU - Blue, DB - Dark Blue, GN - Green, GY - Grey, LB - Light Blue, LG - Light Green, NA - Natural, OG - Orange, PK - Pink, RD - Red, SR - Silver, TN - Tan, VT - Violet, WH - White, YE - Yellow

Old 12-04-2005, 02:33 PM
i sent you an email back, but just in case you didn't get it or others on this list might benefit.......i wired my trans temp gauge to the radio wiring for power only when the key is on plus that 10 min window of power before opening your door. i to pulled everything apart including the radio and all the fuses partaining to the radio. all were fine. the dealer was looking at the truck to make right some of the problems not originally done right at the dealer in ny after my accident......anyway they told me to leave my truck since the techs were on break and they would look into it for me.....when they called they said it was one of the circuit breakers, not a fuse. the little square pieces in the fuse box are the circuit breakers if i understand correctly......check that out before tearing everything apart! hope this helps.....

Old 12-04-2005, 02:41 PM
Awesome. I'll check those out..!!

CrAz3D - You are correct..

Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 PM
Bump. Service advisor just called me. Radio is fried (WTF? doesn't make sense) and 6-8 weeks for a replacement. This is bull***** and I'm pissed. Grr.

Old 12-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Wink

Hey, 04 RED LARIAT:
If your radar detector is constantly on did you try to put the wire into the other fuse terminal. One side is hot and the other is not (cool rhyme). Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-05-2005, 05:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bdholsin
Hey, 04 RED LARIAT:
If your radar detector is constantly on did you try to put the wire into the other fuse terminal. One side is hot and the other is not (cool rhyme). Just my 2 cents.
Nope had not tried that, I will check it out. Thanks.

Old 12-05-2005, 09:10 PM
Wow. Update. Now i'm getting more and more angry..

So I just attempted to install my Sony HU. Wow. Wouldn't you know it. This deck won't work either. Damn I was right. Looks like Ford dealership will be getting an earful tomorrow. What a bunch of @ssholes.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:40 PM
Originally Posted by SSpiro
Wow. Update. Now i'm getting more and more angry..

So I just attempted to install my Sony HU. Wow. Wouldn't you know it. This deck won't work either. Damn I was right. Looks like Ford dealership will be getting an earful tomorrow. What a bunch of @ssholes.
Wait a minute.... You cut or spliced wires and they're @ssholes??? I think you are going about it the wrong way..... :o

Old 12-06-2005, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by FX4ME2
Wait a minute.... You cut or spliced wires and they're @ssholes??? I think you are going about it the wrong way..... :o
I'm not attempting to remove blame from myself.. but I'm annoyed with the service level.

I'm the customer. I should be considered right, instead, they treat me like an idiot. I called him this morning and told him what I found, and he said that there was nothing he could do until the new radio came in. I don't want to wait 4-6 weeks for a new radio, only for him to call me up and say "Uh, well, I guess it still doesn't work. Must be something else"..

Old 12-06-2005, 01:44 PM
SSpiro let me see if i can help...some of this may have already been stated already but maybe I can help.

First off the radio DOES have two power wires...one thats constant (always hot) and one that turns on and off with the ignition. The wire you are having trouble with is the ignition controlled wire. The constant wire keeps the radios memory, will eject CDs with the ignition off and so on. The ignition switch is what actually turns the radio on and off. With that said your problem is almost certainly either in the splice you put in the wire OR in the fuse. I am willing to bet its in the fuse. First thing I would do is get a test light and touch the wire where I spliced into it...if its hot then check toward the radio side and see if its hot...if it is then it maybe your radio (but I am sure its not going to be hot since your radar and new HU wont work either). Next thing you need to is check your fuse box (I am thinking the load from BOTH the HU and the radar blew it) and see if the fuse is blown. Be sure you check the right fuse too...there should be one listed as radio and maybe one listed as ignition or something. Check both of those and I bet thats where your problem will be.

If you want to save some time check the fuses first.

Also, does your delay features (widnows up and down after the igntion is off until you open the door) still work like they are supposed too?

Last edited by RamSS/T; 12-06-2005 at 01:48 PM.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
First thing I would do is get a test light and touch the wire where I spliced into it...if its hot then check toward the radio side and see if its hot...if it is then it maybe your radio (but I am sure its not going to be hot since your radar and new HU wont work either).
Make sure you have the truck turned on when you do this.

Old 12-06-2005, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by RamSS/T
SSpiro let me see if i can help...some of this may have already been stated already but maybe I can help.

First off the radio DOES have two power wires...one thats constant (always hot) and one that turns on and off with the ignition. The wire you are having trouble with is the ignition controlled wire. The constant wire keeps the radios memory, will eject CDs with the ignition off and so on. The ignition switch is what actually turns the radio on and off. With that said your problem is almost certainly either in the splice you put in the wire OR in the fuse. I am willing to bet its in the fuse. First thing I would do is get a test light and touch the wire where I spliced into it...if its hot then check toward the radio side and see if its hot...if it is then it maybe your radio (but I am sure its not going to be hot since your radar and new HU wont work either). Next thing you need to is check your fuse box (I am thinking the load from BOTH the HU and the radar blew it) and see if the fuse is blown. Be sure you check the right fuse too...there should be one listed as radio and maybe one listed as ignition or something. Check both of those and I bet thats where your problem will be.

If you want to save some time check the fuses first.

Also, does your delay features (widnows up and down after the igntion is off until you open the door) still work like they are supposed too?
Thanks for the reply. Delay features work.

I checked another fuse.. I think #21. This fuse is blown. I'm going to replace after work; I'm fairly confident this is the one.

If it is, I'll never go to this dealership ever again.

Quick Reply: URGENT: Hardwired Radar, now radio wont turn on..HELP!