2004 - 2008 F-150

Thumbs down on Porterfield brakes!

Old 09-07-2005, 09:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down on Porterfield brakes!

I bought Porterfield brakes on the recommendation of many on this board. To say the least I have been disappointed. I have had them on my vehicle for one week and actually the brake dust is the same as the stock semi-metallics and they squeek worse than factory brakes. Someone please tell me that this is just the break in period!

Old 09-07-2005, 09:15 PM
Your joking right? I havent had a hint of brake dust since I installed mine, no breakin period required. Mabey you didnt get the real thing? eBay?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:19 PM
I went the Hawk pad route. Similar compounds made by the same folks. Dust was less but still very noticable for a couple weeks. Getting much, much better. The squeeling also a serious issue, and that is fading away as well. They still squeak a little, but it's tolerable now. Give it a couple weeks or more depending how much you drive. On the plus side, I actually feel like the truck can stop unlike the stockers... these pads have some serious bite!

EDIT: I'm also assuming you slathered the back of the pad with anti-squeak goo right?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:23 PM
Originally Posted by dzervit
I went the Hawk pad route. Similar compounds made by the same folks. Dust was less but still very noticable for a couple weeks. Getting much, much better. The squeeling also a serious issue, and that is fading away as well. They still squeak a little, but it's tolerable now. Give it a couple weeks or more depending how much you drive. On the plus side, I actually feel like the truck can stop unlike the stockers... these pads have some serious bite!

EDIT: I'm also assuming you slathered the back of the pad with anti-squeak goo right?
I do agree on the braking capabilities. Hopefully, the dust and squeeks will dissipate.

Old 09-07-2005, 09:31 PM
I have been thinking of putting on better brake pads too but am not sure the dealer will replace the rotors again if thay warp again with the new pads. I would be interested to see how everyone is doing with brake dust and performance of those various aftermarket brake pads out there. I know porterfields makes differant types of brake pads. I was thinking of the ceramic ones myself. arn't they supposed to be the best option out there. what type of porterfields did you get cards89?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:36 PM
I just installed the porterfield AP-1011 in the front yesterday. I will also see if there is less brake dust. They do feel like they stop a little better...

Old 09-07-2005, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by jasonkola
I have been thinking of putting on better brake pads too but am not sure the dealer will replace the rotors again if thay warp again with the new pads. I would be interested to see how everyone is doing with brake dust and performance of those various aftermarket brake pads out there. I know porterfields makes differant types of brake pads. I was thinking of the ceramic ones myself. arn't they supposed to be the best option out there. what type of porterfields did you get cards89?
carbon kevlar

Old 09-07-2005, 09:50 PM
those are suposed to be good from what i read on here. maybe they do need to break in. if your rotors are rough from the old break pads like mine they might be digging into the new pads. it might fade away in a few weeks. oh and I have never heard a squeek from my stock break pads. I guess I am lucky. but they sure put out alot of dust. and warp my rotors. and dig grooves into my rotors. actually I am not sure if it is the pads fault for the warping and grooves or just low quality rotors. I suspect the second.

I wander if ceramic is a better choice than the carbon kevlar?

Old 09-07-2005, 09:57 PM
I'd say I did have about a 1 week, 500 mile breakin period. BUT during that period there was no squeaking and DRAMATICALLY less dust. No after 8000 mi still no squeak and virtually NO dust.
Porterfield's have never treated me any differnet than I see right now on the 150.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:00 PM
I wonder if turning the rotors or getting new rotors makes a difference. cards89, did you turn your rotors or get new ones or just put the pads on? Just curious.

Old 09-07-2005, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by mathman
I wonder if turning the rotors or getting new rotors makes a difference. cards89, did you turn your rotors or get new ones or just put the pads on? Just curious.
The rotars had only 5k miles on them, no palpable grooves.

Old 09-07-2005, 11:33 PM
I'm surprised to hear your problems. Are you one of those fast stop and go type drivers? My Porterfields only had minor break-in dust for 1 or 2 days tops. 100% better than the dusty OEM pads. No dust since then. 13k miles on them so far and they're great. I got some minor squealing after 4k miles or so, and put some goo crap on the outer parts and they've been quiet ever since!

Old 09-07-2005, 11:34 PM
I only had the dust problem with the stock pads..No squeaking or rotor issues.
Rotors were smooth when i put on the Porterfields and the trucks odometer read 2555 miles..I did wash down the rims and caliper assembly ..Man there was alot of dust from those stock pads

Old 09-08-2005, 02:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To all those who are happy with theirs and have no brake dust/squeal, are you using carbon kevlar or ceramic porterfields?

Old 09-08-2005, 02:58 AM
OMC
I am using the carbon kevlar pads. All and all I am happy with my pads. i still have dust on my rims but no where near as bad as the stock pads. it could just be me but it seems like it takes a little longer to stop though. I stop nice and quite though =)

Last edited by OMC; 09-08-2005 at 03:02 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thumbs down on Porterfield brakes!