2004 - 2008 F-150

Changing Spark Plugs

Old 01-08-2011, 03:30 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by RodgerT
What I forgot to mention is using a good quality spark plug socket in addition to a lot of different extensions. In my past, I've broken several spark plugs while removing them. I've got all Snap-On tools and Snap-On spark plug sockets have a great fitting rubber boot inside of the socket. This rubber boot helps to cushion the side loading on the spark plug insulator, also since the socket has a close tolerance around the spark plug base, the socket stays in line with the spark plug very well.

On my F150, I had two plugs that were really tight, tighter than normal. What I did was spray penetrating oil down the spark plug well and let it sit for about 30 minutes. When I came back to these problem plugs there was no problem.
You really don't get the problem and your post make you look like you're
rather uninformed. For your own good, do some research about the plugs for the 5.4 3v engine and learn what the problem is. The plugs break off due to their two piece design and carbon buildup on the long shank. There is a special tool made just to retrieve that shank, otherwise, the head has to be removed.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Location: From Austin, TX, then to Jacksonville, NC, and now at Kings Bay, GA
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ulf
No, they didn't redesign the cylinder heads until the middle of 2007 model year I believe... I'm not sure of the exact time frame, someone here will probably post that information for you...
How does one know if he has the updated heads w/o the PITA spark plugs? Is there a VIN ID or something to signify whether or not you have this truck from '08? I would just like to know that way when the time does arrive, I'll know what to expect, and if I do have the updated head design, is it as easy as the old short plugs again?

Old 01-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by perryrl
How does one know if he has the updated heads w/o the PITA spark plugs? Is there a VIN ID or something to signify whether or not you have this truck from '08? I would just like to know that way when the time does arrive, I'll know what to expect, and if I do have the updated head design, is it as easy as the old short plugs again?
If the boots from the COPs to the plugs are brown, you have the redesigned heads and plugs. If black, the problem heads.

Old 01-11-2011, 05:56 PM
Location: From Austin, TX, then to Jacksonville, NC, and now at Kings Bay, GA
Originally Posted by Bluejay
If the boots from the COPs to the plugs are brown, you have the redesigned heads and plugs. If black, the problem heads.
Thanks. I'll have to take a look.

Old 01-11-2011, 09:27 PM
I just started changing my plugs today my 2005 5.4 F150 has been misfiring like crazy so I figured I should finally take the plunge and give it a shot. Well I went to NAPA got the champion plugs got the 9/16 socket for my truck the NAPA dude got it for me and its the one, got my wobbles and my extensions. I get started blow all the crap off the top of my engine, vaccum around my coils, remove my coils, spray a little PB in each hole, then get to work....... Well My stinkin socket doesn't want to fit on my spark plugs what the hell? I tried a 5/8 I had in my garage and still same thing it seems like the socket is just spinning around the plug or on top of it I cant really tell which. When I get my flashlight and loo down at the plug it almost looks like there is a little washer around the topof nut part of the plug, but I might just be cold and dilusional? What I do know is I need some advice can anybody shed some light on the subject?

Thanks

Old 01-12-2011, 11:56 AM
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
The 9/16 should have worked...I just checked and that is the size i used to remove the original plug....The champions are a different size....maybe the cop fell apart and is on top of the plug...

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by TexfordD
damn thing looks like one of my wife,s "toys"
LMAOOOOOOOO!!!!

I was thinking the same thing!!! Not about YOUR wife tho

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 AM
Just got a call from my mechanic. All 8 plugs broke, 7 came out with the extraction tool. Unfortunately #4 was a lot worse and a piece of it is now sitting on the piston.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:16 PM
why not NGK plugs?

I have read about all the problems & issues with plugs breaking, cracking, out of box failures, etc, almost always with Motorcraft plugs.

I have read a couple positive posts of people using Autolight and Champion plugs.

Question...has anyone tried using NGK plugs? I know it's supposed to be better to stick with OEM, but with all the issues of the sparkplug design of the Motorcrafts, why are we insisting on using them again? If it's the 'buy American' mentality, I think that's SILLY.

My daily driver is a Lexus and I've been a member on the Lexus forum for about 4 years now. We SWEAR by NGK and ND (NipponDenso) plugs. Granted, they are OEM on Toyota & Lexus, but MUST we use the weird design of the Motorcraft oem plugs? Do you think a non-oem (Autolite, Bosch, Champion, NGK, ND, etc) would use the same design of the Motorcrafts, or so long as their temperature range, physical dimensions/reach, gap, etc, is identical, they SHOULD work. Right?

I believe the plugs for a 2004 5.4L would be these... http://ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder...uv/results.asp

Old 07-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I do not think NGK or ND makes plugs for the 5.4 3V engine.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:10 AM
glc
Received 756 Likes on 702 Posts
I believe the plugs for a 2004 5.4L would be these... http://ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder...uv/results.asp
Negative - NGK doesn't make a 3V plug. Yes, you MUST use the weird design in the 3V till the head redesign in mid-08. There have been very mixed results with the Champion and E3 1 piece replacements.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Spark Plugs