2004 - 2008 F-150

Rear door will not open from inside...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear door will not open from inside...

Child lock not engaged...

Any help will be great on this. I recently installed new speakers all the way around and everything turned out great, not rattling at all. The one problem I am having is with my rear drivers' side door. The door constantly acts as if the child saftey lock is engaged. I switched it to the unlock position and it still will not open from the inside, it must be opened from outside. Did I some how diconnect the child lock or get it stuck in the engaged position when I had the panel off?

Help, please!!

Thanks

Old 08-18-2005, 05:51 AM
i dont have a screw so i couldnt say for sure, but i would check the linkage on the child lock

Old 08-18-2005, 03:13 PM
A quick search of this forum revealed the following:
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...open+rear+door
https://www.f150online.com/forums/sh...open+rear+door

Quite simply, this is a known problem and has been assigned a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB 03-20-4 or 03204). So, head on over to your dealership and have them fix it.

"UNABLE TO OPEN THE DOOR WITH THE INSIDE DOOR HANDLE CONDITION, ALTHOUGH THE EXTERIOR HANDLE WORKS PROPERLY."

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...aintsearch.cfm
http://www.alldata.com/TSB/0420_mo.html

Old 08-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Interesting comment......on my '05 SCREW my rear doors will not open (using the inside handles) if they are locked - quite a pain for my passengers to have to search out the lock button and manually pull up the lock and then open the door ( I haul clients in the rear and most of them are not familiar with the layout of the locks). With no power lock button for the rear passengers either (Ford saved $3.00/per truck I'm sure) I'm always being asked if the child locks are engaged or to use my button to unlock the rear doors.....don't know why Ford designed them this way????

And NO the child locks are not the culprit - 1st thing I checked....

Old 08-18-2005, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by '04 SCREWLARIAT
Child lock not engaged...

Any help will be great on this. I recently installed new speakers all the way around and everything turned out great, not rattling at all. The one problem I am having is with my rear drivers' side door. The door constantly acts as if the child saftey lock is engaged. I switched it to the unlock position and it still will not open from the inside, it must be opened from outside. Did I some how diconnect the child lock or get it stuck in the engaged position when I had the panel off?

Help, please!!

Thanks
'04 - chances are that the lock issue is not due to your speaker replacement mod...the only thing you may have disconnected is the wire to the inside of the handle and there is really only one way it will reconnect - did it "pop" back in like it should have....could you have perhaps not gotten it all the way secured and it popped back out - probably be worth it to pull off that particular door panel - and check it out......now had you changed the door handle/buckets - that's another story - you can reinstall the outer handles with the plunger turned 180 deg the wrong way and it will cause the door to not open properly and the lock to catch......(I know this from personal experience )

Old 08-18-2005, 06:30 PM
Dont worry, Ive had this problem with the last 3 trucks ive owned (1995 chevy tahoe, 2003 ford excursion & 2004 f150 screw lariat). All have had the same problem with the rear door wont open from inside, just the outside. Its not child locks, the latch mechanism seperates from the cable (or vice versa) & then the inside latch wont work. Ive taken the f150 to 2 seperate dealers (not to badmouth them, but they both suck) Tropical Ford in Orlando Fl where I bought the truck from, & Popular Ford in Brooklyn NY. I told both about the tsb, and they just found no problems with the latch.
Either that, or they didnt check it out at all. Im tired of taking this 40k truck back into the dealer for them to return it saying cannot duplicate problem, no action taken.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:08 PM
i have the same problem... i removed my door panels to install my lincoln outter door handles and nowthe same door on my truck wont open....

Old 09-21-2005, 10:41 AM
Sorry for resurrecting an old post (yes search is a wonderful tool to find answers to questions posted before ) are TSB's issued by Ford a free repair by a service department?

Thanks.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:16 PM
Suspended
Exclamation

Originally Posted by HotLap
Interesting comment......on my '05 SCREW my rear doors will not open (using the inside handles) if they are locked - quite a pain for my passengers to have to search out the lock button and manually pull up the lock and then open the door ( I haul clients in the rear and most of them are not familiar with the layout of the locks). With no power lock button for the rear passengers either (Ford saved $3.00/per truck I'm sure) I'm always being asked if the child locks are engaged or to use my button to unlock the rear doors.....don't know why Ford designed them this way????

Mine does the same thing and it is 3 days old and bone stock! any idea if that is the way it is supposed to be, -or- if there is a fix? Child Locks are OFF.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by HotLap

Kill the AutoLock feature if you dont want the doors locking automatically.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:31 PM
nice....it is reposts like these that remind me of little annoyances on my truck that I keep forgeting to search for fixes on....

Old 09-21-2005, 04:39 PM
Originally Posted by asinatra
What he said.
I left it turned on for awhile, because I wanted to use all the "bells and whistles", but that autolock is a pain. Every time I would go to get my daughter out of the back, Id have to unlock the back doors with the remote (because 9 times out of 10, I would forget to hit the unlock button when I stopped). Also, back seat passenger were always whining about the doors being locked. Killed autolock and now all is well.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:45 PM
Its not a matter of turning off the automatic door locks, its an issue Ford has acknowledged in a TSB.

Just wanted to know if I would have to pay out of pocket for this repair.

Old 09-21-2005, 05:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ash575
Its not a matter of turning off the automatic door locks, its an issue Ford has acknowledged in a TSB.

Unfortunately, TSBs are not the same as recalls. In this case, if your truck is still under warranty, then Ford should fix it for free. If your warranty has expired, you'll have to do the repair yourself or pay Ford to fix it.

C-17 Pilot

Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Ash575

I realize that. I QUOTED the post for a reason. He was stating that ford rear doors do not simply open like the front doors. (When they are locked you can use the handle to open them) So i SUGGESTED disabling that feature so when his clients do get into the back, the doors DO NOT lock thus allowing an easy exit for the rear passengers.

Quick Reply: Rear door will not open from inside...