2004 - 2008 F-150

question on the BF goodrich tires that come with truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question on the BF goodrich tires that come with truck

I have the original set of BF Goodrich tires on my truck. I was wondering if anyone knows how many miles they are expected to last?
I have about 34000 on mine and they are starting to show signs of needing replacing. I figure I have about 3000 to 4000 miles left (for me that's about 2 to 3 months).
Also, are there any other tires that I should consider when replacing?
I don't do any off roading and most of my mile come from the highway but I still prefer a little bit of an off road look.
By the way, the truck is a 2004 black Lariat with 18" wheels.

Thanks,

Gary

Old 07-28-2005, 05:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you got 34k on them, I would say you done good. I got BF Goodrich with 24K on them and they’re already looking weak. I don’t like to drive the tires all the way to the end so I’m about ready for new ones now

Old 07-28-2005, 06:10 PM
I only have 10k on mine but I can see some wear. I never take it off the pavement or peel rubber. I suspect 34k is pretty good milage.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:29 PM
Just broke 40k, showing some wear but for the most part, lookin' good

Have you been rotating them and keeping the correct pressure?

Old 07-28-2005, 08:52 PM
I have hear from others that get 50 to 60 thousand miles out of them. they need to be rotated regularly. I tend to run slightly higher than the recomended tire pressure during the summer and about the recomended pressure in the winter. I expect to get at least 40 k out of mine. we will see. personally I would stick with the bfg's I like the look. oh I was wandering what are the recomended tire pressure for the 18 inch bfg's? just curious as I got 17's.

Old 07-28-2005, 08:59 PM
35psi for the 18’s

I rotate mine every 6K. They’re not worn out yet at 24K but the new tire feel is gone. I’d love to get 40K out of them though

Old 07-28-2005, 09:07 PM
Well at 32K mine were dry rotted and cracked on the edges. Yes I rotated every 3000 miles and keep the air at the right psi. I had them replaced due to my vibration problem. It didnt help one bit, the truck vibrates even more now and the new BFG's are loud as hell. I say get something else, Toyo, Nitto, Mickey T...anything but these noisey pieces of crap.

BREW

Old 07-29-2005, 03:22 PM
We have 12k on ours and looks about half used up. Our 2003 Fx4 had Goodyear AT/S with 45k on them when we traded in, could have gotten at least another 15k out of them. In my opinion the BF Goodrich suck. I wish we could make the dealer replace them.

Old 07-29-2005, 03:28 PM
If you are not an offroader I highly recommend the Michelin SUV X-Terrains. These tires were made to be put on this truck. Perfect fit for the 7.5" width. They are ultra quiet, comfortable, and improve the already great handling. Check them out at the Tirerack.com review section and you'll see they rate high on the list. Sears I believe still have them on sale and trust me, they are worth EVERY penny.

Old 08-01-2005, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the replies.

I have one other question though,

How long can tires be stored in a garage before their quality is compromised?
The reason I ask is that the BF Goodrich are on sale (around $80) but I don't want to put them on until my current tires are pretty much worn down.

Thanks again,

Gary

Old 08-01-2005, 09:51 AM
It is a bad idea financially to tie up the $320+ in tires for X amount of time unless you plan on putting them on sometime soon. A better idea would be to put the money into the bank or a savings account for future use. You may not get the same deal in the future, but you won't have to deal with 4 large tires taking up space in your garage. And, you won't have to deal with any problems that might occur of the tires get out of shape from sitting in your garage for X amount of time.

I really don't know if the tires will get out of round, but I would follow my above suggestion so that you don't have to worry about it. When you get closer to time to replace your tires, start shopping for a deal. If you find one that you can't pass up then, just buy them and have them installed.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:40 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Gary, E-mail me when you get a chance...we might be able to figure something out with your tires.

Edit: E-mail on the way to you.

Last edited by Quintin; 08-01-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 08-01-2005, 11:46 AM
I went to Discount Tire for my BFG's. They gave me a credit of $25 a tire for my old tires. Just my

Old 08-01-2005, 06:44 PM
IMO I am going to something else when I wear the BFG's out. I have 22,000 on the two tires and 5,000 on the other two due to having 2 of them replaced because they got a 38 and 40 on a roadforce balance test at the dealership after a huge fight between me and the service manager.

I obviously won....

The 2 with 22,000 on them are starting to seriously show wear. I think I may get about another 10K on them if I put the new ones on the front for there remaining life. Since most of the time I am NOT off roading I think I may go to something more street worthy.

Which means one thing.... The stock RIMS have to go. I just have to figure out how to convince the wife that this is a really, really, really good idea.

I think if she argue's I am going to tell her to clean the brake dust off my front wheels. I'll convince her that new wheels won't create the brake dust. Then when I get the new wheels stick some Kevlars on since she won't know the difference.

This is truly EVIL, but its the easiest way that I can think of to get new wheels..... I'll let the tires speak for themselves.....

Old 08-01-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by Crash_edwards

Which means one thing.... The stock RIMS have to go. I just have to figure out how to convince the wife that this is a really, really, really good idea.

I think if she argue's I am going to tell her to clean the brake dust off my front wheels. I'll convince her that new wheels won't create the brake dust. Then when I get the new wheels stick some Kevlars on since she won't know the difference.

This is truly EVIL, but its the easiest way that I can think of to get new wheels..... I'll let the tires speak for themselves.....

BUHAhahahaha

I'm glad I am not married. I just have to reson with myself to get new wheels and tires, which I want, but due to the axles and new engine I bought for the trail truck, the less important stuff like add ons are held off.

I am a tire distributer by trade. I persoanlly like the BFGs a good bit, and my dealers see most tires that are maintained proper go about 40,000 miles.

Most of the time when tires go bad sooner, its owner error that causes it. Hell, I have a s-10 that I run 30x9.50 15 Michelin LTX M/S tires on, 3 of the tires have close to 100,000 miles on them, no joke. #4 died early thanks to a road spike. Proper rotation and air pressure is key. OK, most of the miles are highway also.

I finallyordered myself 285/70-17 BFG ATs and they are in my warehouse waiting for me to buy some fancy black wheels to mount them on. Im sad though, I thought they would look alittle bigger then they do. Maybe its time to order 315/70-17s...

Quick Reply: question on the BF goodrich tires that come with truck