F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   difference between Flow 40s, and Super 40's (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/205301-difference-between-flow-40s-super-40s.html)

higdogg 07-24-2005 01:40 AM

exx,

I just don't know man. The 40 series pictured on their site looks the same in the see-through cutout version as the one in the section where they call it the american thunder. It sounds in one way like they are 2 different mufflers, but then when you look in their muffler section, it only has listed original 40, super 40, delta flow 40, etc and never mentions a 40 series american thunder. You could be right, apparently there is something different about what they call american thunder as opposed to an original 40.

higdogg 07-24-2005 01:42 AM

fourpointsix,

thanks for all the info on that. I wish someone w/ a super 40 would do a write-up like that now so I could feel comfortable about what the 40 and super 40 both sound like. What's up w/ the 'boat' sound from your imco? What's that all about?

fourpointsix 07-24-2005 06:47 AM

Hey Higdogg, I was wondering if you had gotten exhaust yet. Glad I didn't miss it! If you've ever heard a boat out on a lake with a huge V8 in it, that really unmuffled watery sounding exhaust note that is kind of gurgly and raspy at the same time...that's what it sounds like when it hasn't warmed up yet. At normal operating temp (so like 1-2 minutes of driving) it smooths out to its normal sound. I like how it sounds cold though too. Definitely very cool. By the way it scared the crap out of me when I first started and revved it at the exhaust shop!

higdogg 07-24-2005 01:03 PM

fourpointsix,

I think I'm waiting on the exhaust, unfortunately, because I'd deciding what kind of small lift I'm going to do first. I don't want the exhaust pipes to be in the way of any install. I hope to get both done soon, as I am making way on finding out more about small lifts I am interested in. I'm definitely interested in the imco, the clips sound good on the web. I'm just wondering if it would be too loud even for me. I don't want the 40 series because I know what people mean when they talk about how it can be too quiet. At times mine on my '93 gets that way too. I don't want to deal w/ that again. So I'm still between the super 40 and imco until I find out more on the super 40.

fourpointsix 07-24-2005 07:19 PM

Higdogg, I could have sworn there is a dude on here who has a red truck with a Super 40. I've sort of been waiting for him to chime in here, but he hasn't done so yet! What size lift and tires are you going for?

higdogg 07-24-2005 10:37 PM

I think there is someone w/ a super 40, don't remember who. I posted w/ someone a while back that said he loved his and it sounded great, but not really much to compare it to.

I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to lift about 3 inches I guess and put 33's on. I don't like the idea of leveling kits, I'd rather have taller coilovers. Thing is, the skyjacker 3" lift is about $650 or more by the time you get rear shocks included, and those shocks probably aren't the best. I know add a leafs don't cost much money, so I'm thinking these kits are priced too highly for what is in them. I'd love to do the rancho 4" lift, but can't afford that and new tires/wheels. I want my truck to look like a 4x4 w/ nice wheels/tires and height, but I'm also not going to do such a big lift that I have to mod brake lines and stuff like that. Soon as I find something, I'm buying. So, sooner I find that, the sooner I get my exhaust.

fourpointsix 07-25-2005 03:59 AM

Higdogg, I didn't know you had a 4x2 as well. I want 33s and the simplest way to do this is with a leveling kit. Several people on here running a 2.5 inch leveler are running 33x12.5/17s with no rubbing on 4x2s, so that is my plan. I think I'm going to go with the Autospring because too many have complained about the Daystar's ride quality. As far as wheels and tires...it seems every wheel for these damn trucks is a rape thanks to the 17 inch diameter and the damn bolt pattern!

higdogg 07-25-2005 12:06 PM

sorry, I do have a 4x4, but w/ the small tires they put on it I think it looks sissy. I meant to say I want it to look like a real 4x4. I'm still not convinced on the leveling kits, I've heard different things about them all. I'd rather just buy new coilovers if I can afford to do that. All the leveling kits say 'improved ride quality'. It's too hard to tell which is best w/o buying one for yourself.

I even did a search last night on the super 40's and still nobody much on here that has one. Found one guy that has one but he didn't really describe or compare it much.

SVTErick 07-25-2005 12:30 PM

Flowmaster is the biggest garbage in the world. the Super 40 is about the only muffler from them i would even consider. the drone on the original 40 series is amazingly loud and annoying