2004 - 2008 F-150

Biggest issues with the '04..Looking to buy

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 07:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Biggest issues with the '04..Looking to buy

Should I stay away because it was a first year model?

Old 07-21-2005, 08:05 PM
I have a '04 XLT Scab 4x2 5.4l and have never had it in the shop for any kind of repairs.

The odometer is just about to turn 31,000 and nothing has ever gone wrong with this truck. Heck, the factory set of tires still have 3/4 tread left.

With a build date of 11/03 it is one of the first to roll off on the assembly line in Richmond, Va.

Don't be scared about buying an '04, just do the normal research (carfax, service records, etc...) before you buy.

Cheers
Ox

Old 07-21-2005, 08:21 PM
Most important is to take a ride test to make sure everything is smooth, no vibs, shaking etc..also check A/C! sometime its low freon/factory didnt full charged it.

Mines 2/04- my Screw FX4 had only replaced clutch pack for rear limit slip and A/C (a little leaking but fixed) thats it.

YOMAN!

Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 PM
Suspended
think abought this...the 04 f-150 is a great truck...as new years are comming forward, ford is going cost cut thease trucks, to make them cheaper to increase profits..04 05 06, still going to be the same truck.

Old 07-21-2005, 08:26 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Some trucks were fine, some had problems. My '04 has been alright, minus a few little trim quibbles. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:06 PM
coolfords, I had the same "angst" against buying a new model year truck, especially being that I bought mine used. However, it was used by the owner of the dealership I bought it from and I know him and how he treats his vehicles so I knew it was in as good of condition as one could hope.

I test drove it, and it sealed the deal. Yeah, I've had a few minor problems, some of which were because I was VERY picky but my service advisor took care of me. Out of the problems I had, the only one I'd even consider major was the passenger side cam phaser tick or whatever. I consider it major because it's engine work, they had to take off the front cover, etc...but even the 05s and maybe even the 06s have the same problem (some of them) so it has nothing to do with first year IMO. I pretty much equate all my problems to me being super picky about a "new" truck. Like Quinten said, nothing out of the "ordinary" as far as the occasional problem you'd probably still get with an 05 or whatever.

I never thought I'd buy a first model year vehicle after the horror stories I've heard, but I don't regret it one bit.

Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine was made in September 2003 and the only problem I had to worry about was the differential clutch pack and a whine in the rear (due to a technician who was fired). No other problems of any consequence. I also ordered a 2001 Ford Escape before they were out (company vehicle) and at 92,000+, it has been great. I have also bought other first year vehicles and have had good luck (85 Dodge Lancer, 78 Chevy Malibu classic-first year downsized, 88 Dodge Dynasty, 93 Celebrity Diesel-everything broke but the engine so not due to first year, early Dodge Intrepid (All company vehicles).

Old 07-21-2005, 09:26 PM
Do a thorough test drive!!! Do some highway driving at various speed to check for vibrations. If you know someone who works at a dealership have them pull an oasis report on previous repairs. I currently have an 04 being bought back due to the unfixable vibrations. Ford took care of me and an 06 is on order.

Old 07-21-2005, 11:43 PM
My '04 Screw FX4 has been rock solid. I'm a General Contractor and work the dog mess outta mine. I take care of it, but I bought a truck. Mine is always loaded in the bed and pulling a 5X8 trailer full of lumber, drywall, etc.

I have no vibration, no rear end clunking, my A/C is cold no probs at all. Not sure of my exact build date though. I bought it new in July '04 if that helps. I drive about 2500 miles a month and get between 14-16mpg depending on how loaded down the truck is. About a 50/50 mix of city and highway.

I have a flush mounted toolbox and an Extang soft tonneu cover (small deterent so thieves don't see my tools)

You can't always judge a vehicles problems by scanning a forum. A much larger majority of people WITH a problem post. Mainly because a forum is one of the few places to get a straight answer. People who have no problems tend not to post as much. Take me for example, no problems, but haven't posted to the site since at least Sept '04 or earlier. I do read the site quite often though. I had two Chevy's in a row (brief visit to the dark side) from Feb '04-Jul '04 and wore that forum out.LOL!

Brad

Old 07-22-2005, 07:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As others have said, take it for a test drive. Looks and listen for the common issues that others have had. If it looks and sounds good then buy it and enjoy!

Old 07-22-2005, 09:50 AM
The biggest problem that I have had (and many others) is that the brakes pretty much suck. Lots of warped rotors and very noisy/dusty brakes. Some will dispute this, but many will confirm it...good luck.

Old 07-22-2005, 09:59 AM
No problems....I'd buy again in a heartbeat....and I generally don't buy first year models.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by ****ensCPA
My '04 Screw FX4 has been rock solid. I'm a General Contractor and work the dog mess outta mine. I take care of it, but I bought a truck. Mine is always loaded in the bed and pulling a 5X8 trailer full of lumber, drywall, etc.

that's what I like to hear.

Guys working their trucks hard and still having no problems.

Old 07-22-2005, 10:30 AM
Love mine '04 with 04/04 build date. Test drive is a must.

Oh, Oxlander you mean Norfolk not Richmond.

Old 07-22-2005, 11:19 AM
I bought mine in Jan. 04, build date 7/03.
Unfortuneatly i can't say mine has been trouble free.
*replaced clutch packs
*replaced front rotors
*replaced outside temp. sensor
*reflashed for stalling...AND GOING HOME LAST NIGHT (7/21/05) IT STALLED 3 MORE TIMES!!!
*Grease on both windows when rolling down (took it in for that, and still have it)
Now the good news, when i got home yesterday again i bitched to the wife, her reply..."take the day off and we will get you a Lariat".
p.s. I also test drove mine, problems started cropping up after about 4000 miles, so there really was no way to tell.

Quick Reply: Biggest issues with the '04..Looking to buy