2004 - 2008 F-150

The Mac Mini... putting it in my truck!

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2005, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Mac Mini... putting it in my truck!

It is smaller than a standard head unit, and will fit in a single din slot (or maybe the ash tray hole).

And software that is coming out iDash

I am getting the Mac Mini FREE here

I will put a double din touch screen monitor in the dash and will use a bluetooth GPS and navigation software. MP3 and MPG galore!!

Last edited by Big SCrew; 05-12-2005 at 05:08 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:05 PM
SWEET!!! As an Apple user, let me know how this works out!!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:07 PM
Originally posted by rhyno1
SWEET!!! As an Apple user, let me know how this works out!!
I know people have already done it, and it works great. There is a company that is actually putting the mac mini in restoration cars. Do a search on the net for mac mini car, you will see. It is very cool.

BTW, follow that link and get yourself a free mac mini, it is brilliant!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:17 PM
It's not free if I have to spam the heLL out of my friends. I'll never hear the end of it.

Show us some pics when you are done.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by sacramentojoe
It's not free if I have to spam the heLL out of my friends. I'll never hear the end of it.

Show us some pics when you are done.
LOL True, nothing is completely free in life! I know enough family and friends that are interested in it too, so that makes it easy. Once it is done, I will post pictures. Not sure when iDash will be out, that will be the key to a functioning system.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:23 PM
??? Let me get this right. There is this new thing out called an iDash and people are putting them into their cars. How do you control it? Is it something like a CD/Nav/DVD/Radio?

Old 05-12-2005, 05:27 PM
iDash is being developed right now. It is an application that runs on a Mac, like an interface to nav/dvd/mp3/radio/etc. If you want to put a Mac in your truck with a t ouch screen monitor in the dash, iDash would be what you want to run. It is catching on and many people are looking to put the mac mini in their vehicles, I am one of them

Hopefully I'll be the first to do this mod!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 05:37 PM
Well as a Software Engineer, I'm no way a fan of Winblows or Crapple. However, if I had to pick a device with any computer OS on it, I'd have to go with Crapple. ( Other than LINUX ).. They do a good job on their programming and have proven it with the iPod. My sons X-BOX crashes all the time. ( Go Figure ).. Adding this post to my interest list.

Old 05-12-2005, 05:54 PM
Got it...So, what kind of screans are out there that can accompany this. $500 for this mini mac and a few more for a touch screen sure sounds a lot better that 2k for a Pioneer or something along those lines.

Also, let me get this correct. I put a mini mac in my truck with a touch screen an I acctually have a computer in my truck. Then, via the touch screen, I launch a program called iDash that runs my, lets call it entertainment, in my truck. That sounds cool to me. What about boot time for this unit? I would have to wait for the mini mac to actually boot first right? That kinda stinks.

Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM
Sounds fun, hopefully they have some way to prevent people from watching **** while driving and crashing into me!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:15 PM
HEEHEE.... ****

And actually, you can do a lot more than just run a program called iDash. You can run any program... games, iTunes, iMovie, quicktime, Mac Nav software with GPS, internet (bluetooth connection to phone). The possibilities are endless.

BTW, don't pay $500 for the mac mini! You can get it free here!

Last edited by Big SCrew; 05-12-2005 at 07:21 PM.
Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
I am thinking about using a touch screen like this http://www.mp3car.com/store/product_...roducts_id=103

And I can put the mini mac under it, or hide the mini mac and put a head unit under it. I can't decide

Old 05-12-2005, 07:21 PM
good luck.. can't wait to see the pics after the install!!!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by sacramentojoe
Well as a Software Engineer, I'm no way a fan of Winblows or Crapple. However, if I had to pick a device with any computer OS on it, I'd have to go with Crapple. ( Other than LINUX ).. They do a good job on their programming and have proven it with the iPod. My sons X-BOX crashes all the time. ( Go Figure ).. Adding this post to my interest list.
Mac OS X is basically built on Linux platform. I am a UNIX SysAdmin, so I hate Winblows as well, but apple gives me what I need and still remains very functional. I am happy with it!

Old 05-12-2005, 07:54 PM
Good luck on the install...should be cool!

However, I decided to go another route. Instead of installing a computer (a Mini Mac), I hired a midget with a Power Book (a Mini Me) to follow me around where ever I go. If I have a question, I simply ask Mini Me and he tells me. Plus, he cooks my food, shines my shoes, and mows my lawn for $1 dollar a day. This beats the sh*t out of sending that fat a$$ Sally Struthers $10 bucks a month to feed Ndugu in Africa...at least with my deal, I get something out of it!

OK...just kidding.

Quick Reply: The Mac Mini... putting it in my truck!