F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Shudder on take off(In turn) (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/187550-shudder-take-off-turn.html)

Scubaman 02-26-2005 09:09 AM

Shudder on take off(In turn)

I just noticed this and read the posts on the forum from search. Is this a serious problem that has to get fixed. What would happen If I did not fix it. Just curious.

MRBIG 02-26-2005 09:29 AM

I'm getting a shudder when taking off. It is pretty random. I have yet to find the problem.
As far as what you should do, I'm thinking fix it if it's broke...:smoke:

TritonXLT 02-26-2005 09:30 AM

Guys...it's your clutch packs! I had the same problem! There is a TSB on it and they will replce your clutch packs and probably lube your slip yolk which is what they also did for my truck. Smooth as glass now taking off and around turns!

Buck Henry 02-26-2005 11:21 AM

Yes, this is an issue for the limited slip differentials. They will either add a friction modifier to the rear end lube and/or replace the clutch packs per the TSB. The good news is that it is not a dire item that must be fixed before you can drive the vehicle another foot.

Sgt.Pepper 02-26-2005 11:29 AM

The reason being the clutch packs are just a hair too tight right?
Im sure after 25k miles or so they will wear in and the shudder will subside. It seems like one would want tight clutch packs rather than loose ones,,otherwise it might turn into a one wheel drive unit when its old. lol:lol:

RockyJSquirrel 02-26-2005 02:37 PM

Go find an empty parking lot. Turn your steering wheel all the way to the left and make about 7-8 tight circles. Then turn your streering wheel to the right and make about 7-8 tight circles. Then go on about your business and see if you still have a problem.
:thumbsup:

BHibbs 02-26-2005 02:40 PM

Originally posted by Sgt.Pepper
The reason being the clutch packs are just a hair too tight right?
Im sure after 25k miles or so they will wear in and the shudder will subside. It seems like one would want tight clutch packs rather than loose ones,,otherwise it might turn into a one wheel drive unit when its old. lol:lol:

You're pretty much right on the money Sgt Pepper. :thumbsup:

Scubaman 02-26-2005 06:49 PM

So the shudder is a good thing. (having tight clutch packs that is)

sirshan 02-26-2005 06:49 PM

Interesting...I was going to take mine it, but this makes sense. It just doesnt feel natural and I always have a thought about it like what was said above....its pretty random. I cant seem to narrow it down as to when it will shudder or not.

nightmoves 02-26-2005 07:02 PM

Go to Ford and buy a couple bottles of friction modifier(I think they are 1 ounce bottles)Add one at a time and drive around a while.If the chatter is gone don't add anymore.When replacing fluid they usually take 4 bottles.Don't add too much or you will render the Limited slip useless.

Scubaman 02-26-2005 11:31 PM

So is this right. the shudder is a good thing? As long as it is structurally ok, I dont care if it shudders, I thought it meant the rear end was busted.

RockyJSquirrel 02-27-2005 06:10 AM

The clutch plates get sorta stuck together since they don't slip very much. Do the parking lot thing and spin the clutch plates a little, the chattering will stop. If you continue to add the slip additive, then your axle will always slip and you lose the benefit of a LS rear end. This is a trick I learned from a mechanic/shop owner with 30 years experience.

Scubaman 02-27-2005 10:49 AM

cool. There are some real smart dude on this forum. My wife thinks I am nust for always being on it. I told her what other 40 thousand dollar club membership do you have... She still does not get it.

jhogan 02-27-2005 11:42 AM

Originally posted by Scubaman
... She still does not get it.

Mine is the same way.

TritonXLT 02-27-2005 12:30 PM

I don't get this?? You guys have a problem with your clutch packs, they are NOT supppose to Shudder around turns or from a stop! I wouldn't try and fix it myself with friction crap. Ford knows theres a problem and they will fix it, thats why there is a TSB out for it! Take it to your dealer like I did and have them replace your clutch packs, then it's smooth as glass always!! Take adventage of that warrenty since you do have a problem.