F150online Forums

F150online Forums (https://www.f150online.com/forums/)
-   2004 - 2008 F-150 (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150-80/)
-   -   Uninstalled Leveling Kit today (https://www.f150online.com/forums/2004-2008-f-150/187481-uninstalled-leveling-kit-today.html)

MRBIG 02-26-2005 08:48 AM

"NUT" nice ride........I was wondering what size wheels & tires....looks like you went to a 17" wheel..:smoke:

jimmy k 02-26-2005 08:52 AM

Originally posted by rugdnit
. i like the look the spacer provides and for the cost it is tough to beat, but in the long haul it is like putting a band-aid on a broken bone.
I don't get it, how is a 2" lift kit better than "spacer". Don't they both put CV axles at more of an angle?My ride/handling is the same w/ the Autospring.
MR BIG: Like the exhaust, I want to get the same later this year. How much did it set you back and how do you like it(I'm looking for not too loud and w/o drone.) thanks

MRBIG 02-26-2005 09:12 AM

Originally posted by jimmy k
MR BIG: Like the exhaust, I want to get the same later this year. How much did it set you back and how do you like it(I'm looking for not too loud and w/o drone.) thanks
You can get the "Borla" exhaust for around $550-$580. Ebay has some pretty good deals on it. Thats were I got mine. As for the sound it is still changing. I went to my buddy's place the other day and he told me he heard me coming thru the neighborhood. The exhaust is quite when you are cruising but when you get on it , it does sound pretty awesome. Oh almost forgot no drone.

As for keeping with this thread, I would rather the lift. The daystar is my broke-a** way of lifting it till i could afford the 6" lift, wheels and tires.

Mortgage payment or mod's...........It's a tough call every month :smoke:

jimmy k 02-26-2005 11:37 AM

Thank you sir!:beers:

rugdnit 02-26-2005 01:14 PM

" you don't lower a 4X4 " ???? That is like saying that you should not engage 4wd until you are good and stuck..... well by then my friend you will be buried to your axle- good luck with that. the point is that FORD raises the back end so much that it makes sense to go about leveling from the rear. the spacers toy with your handling and the cornering is affected. another guy hit the nail on the head when he said " FORD makes these trucks tall enough ". look at how low the GMs are. toying with the front suspension is not the answer. everyone is always looking at the front as the answer. in the case of the new f150s you might be better seved to level from the rear. it's one thing to lower and another to level. to lower the rear end you gotta take it lower than the front. sometimes you have to change the way you look at things versus doing the same things you have always done to get better results.

rugdnit 02-26-2005 01:22 PM

as for the band aid on a broken bone part i stand by my comment. a spacer is just an oversized bushing/washer. when you do a lift you are upgrading components. sure you are changing the angle of the CV and this creates more wear no matter what, but if you want a lift- do it the right way. don't rip on a guy because he wants to take his spacers out. i have seen a couple of guys that leveled from the rear and put some sweet meats on and they look great.

RED WING NUT 02-26-2005 02:04 PM

Whatever. I think it looks better with the front raised to level it and it seems to be the popular opinion around here. If it causes more wear on certain parts, that's my problem and I'll pay for it. There is no right or wrong here. Some people put in spacers, some put on full blown lft kits. Putting a couple of grand into a lift kit doesn't neccesarily make it the, in your words, "right way". That couple of grand I saved by doing it the "wrong way" will pay for replacing any parts that might prematurely wear. Just my choice.
Four wheel drive vehicles are made higher for a reason, so it doesn't make sense, to me, to buy a 4x4 and take something out of the suspension to lower part of the truck. Just my opinion.
Nobody here is ripping on jpdadeo. We're just joking around with him since he was always quick to say how great Auto Spring was compared to Daystar whenever the debate arose.

rugdnit 02-26-2005 06:46 PM

whatever??? think about what you just said .....4x4s are supposed to be higher for clearance. if it is your intention to truly use your height for 4 wheeling ( this lends to the thinking that a jeep would be better to beat on rather a 35k NEW truck ). body height is one thing, but needing height to 4 wheel would better relate to axle clearances- hence a lift kit with bigger tires. figuring in the RED WINGs style of doing things.... " Reload " rather than " Rebuild " money should never be an issue! just takng the other end of the argument... no harm intended. we all love our trucks and taste is purely up to the owner. i just get sick of LIFT guys ripping on all others as if they are superior. lifts are cool for a while..... i just got sick of climbing in and out of my old 01 Screw. again all personal taste.

jpdadeo 02-26-2005 09:09 PM

I’m not knocking Autospring by any means; they are easy to install, level the truck nicely and provided the extra clearance needed for bigger tires. Daystar is also a solid product that gets similar results but is slightly harder to install. The thing is, I plan to keep my stock rims and tires, which in my opinion look good and are big enough. Without increasing tire size, the wheel wells look empty with the 2” lift. Another deciding factor was fuel economy and street performance. Big tires kill fuel economy and puts the kibosh on street performance both of which I enjoy with the set up I have now. I really like the “near level look” so the choice was clear, pull the spacers out of the front end and drop the rear with DJM shackles.

Quintin 02-26-2005 09:14 PM

Jpdadeo, any before and after pics with the shackles yet? I'm so ready to level mine out...

jpdadeo 02-26-2005 09:25 PM

Quintin I won’t have the shackles until Tuesday when FedEx delivers them. Click on my sig right now for the before pic and as soon as I get the DJM’s installed there will be some after pics in there too.

Quintin 02-26-2005 09:47 PM

Alrighty then, I'll be looking forward to 'em.

04SCREW98COBRA 02-27-2005 01:33 AM

JP, I agree with your move to remove the front level kit and lower the rear. If I bought a 4X2 I would have lowered the rear. A 4X4 looks better and serves more function when the front is lifted, but a 2WD truck looks better with the A$$-end lowered.
Just my 2 cents.

jpdadeo 03-01-2005 04:24 PM

the finished product

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...583-115037.jpg

https://www.f150online.com/galleries...583-115038.jpg

Merek3CS 03-01-2005 05:03 PM

Welcome to the shackle'd club.... It looks great, but the most important question is : Do you like it? I enjoy being able to see the car that pulled up too close to me at the stoplight with the back end lowered 2 inches, but like i said before, I can afford to drop it another inch or so.... Maybe my front springs sit lower then usual...who knows... oh well.

Once again, Looks great jpdadeo. Beautiful Lariat you got there.:banana: :banana: :banana: